HectorHughMunro

Leak Stereo 130

https://www.whathifi.com/news/leak-is-back-and-the-stereo-130-amplifier-is-its-first-modern-retro-masterpiece

Not many details but I’m actually quite interested. The original and matching Stereofetic were beautiful and this looks quite liveable with in a second system. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Beautiful, love the aesthetic. Reading and scrolling down awaiting to see the price (obviously not having a clue, it could have been anything) I was pleasantly surprised, on first impressions this seems reasonable. I'm sure this will attracts comments regarding authenticity, but it is what it is and a welcome option. 

Thanks for sharing.

Edit: Tone controls ! No mention of output though, unless I missed it. Do we know where it's made ?

I always thought Quad should do a 'Heritage' 33 and 303 combination. Same looks, improved pre and keeping the power the same.

Edited by Ian

18 minutes ago, HectorHughMunro said:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/leak-is-back-and-the-stereo-130-amplifier-is-its-first-modern-retro-masterpiece

Not many details but I’m actually quite interested. The original and matching Stereofetic were beautiful and this looks quite liveable with in a second system. 

I had a leak stereo back in the day..power amp, pre amp and tuner! Looked like a city scape lit up at night! I have had always a hankering to own another one..but my hearing and expectations have changed over time..chances are it will  be yet another dissapointment.. So ill stick to my quad amp and AE1mk3 and my LFD cabling.." let the past lay and the future will have its day  my quad is here to stay!  " ( im a poet..but you know it lol) 

• Haha 1

Just found this on a German site, below a photo of the pair, and translated:

Leak Audio has been part of the IAG for many years. Brands such as Wharfedale, Quad or Audiolab also run under this roof. Accordingly, technology works in the newly designed devices, which is borrowed from the current Quad (amplifier Leak Stereo 130) and Audiolab (CD Transport CDT) product lines.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I wondered if it was a Quad Vena but with an upgraded DAC.  That’s not a bad thing; the Vena is pretty decent within the terms of its budget and spec. 

The Leak has an ESS 9038 vs the 9018 of the Vena (if WTF is to be believed).  If Leak naming convention is followed, it should be 75 watts a side.

The rear plate is almost identical to the Vena with the exception of some remote switches. 

https://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/vena-ii/

Edited by HectorHughMunro

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Looking at this makes you wonder why Sugden does not redo the A48  (which was in this style) and to offer the A21 in this style as well as its thick modern aluminium cased one  (the A21 also in this style many years ago).

If it sounds as good as it looks this could be a winner lol   As to wattage if the old standard is applied I think 130 would make it 65 watts a side ...

Edited by uzzy

Super Wammer

Leak’s website says 65 watts x 2 into 4 ohms.  

https://www.leak-hifi.co.uk/stereo130/

Posted (edited)

I was expecting £950 minimum. Maybe £1250. Seems like a bit of a bargain at £800, if you like the looks (not that keen myself). 

No remote control, though, which is a strange omission. 

I like the idea of partnering it with the new Wharfedale Linton speakers. 

Edited by JANDL100

Super Wammer

Nice to have retro looking things coming back but such a shame it’s not from the genuine Leak brand. Built in Britain but then the price I suppose would go up. Also it’s probably a class D or G amp which, by design, would no doubt be considerably better than the model (in sound) that it’s based on which I have.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, radiant red said:

Nice to have retro looking things coming back but such a shame it’s not from the genuine Leak brand. Built in Britain but then the price I suppose would go up. Also it’s probably a class D or G amp which, by design, would no doubt be considerably better than the model (in sound) that it’s based on which I have.

I think it’s probably A/B because the spec is the same as the Quad Vena. 

3 hours ago, radiant red said:

Broadly, I agree.  I prefer a system built in Britain but HJ Leak, Julian Vereker,  Allen Boothroyd and Peter Walker are all gone and this is the best we have. 

Super Wammer
16 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

No remote control, though, which is a strange omission. 

Is that true, Jerry, because I’ve not read it, and to the right of the LEAK logo on the front panel I think I see something that looks like a remote sensor.  It would be weird to have an amp full of digital gubbins but no remote, surely?  

Posted (edited)

There doesn't seem to be any mention of a remote in the review or on the website. Maybe I just missed it.  Or maybe it's just taken for granted. 

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 1

I like that. i like that a lot

All it needs now are some modern Leak 3090 loudspeakers to go with it! :D