plasticpenguin

Washing machine has given up

Bloody thing. Only had it 6 years and it breaks down every year. It's a Samsung, good reviews and washes well. No reviews have mentioned how fragile it is. At the moment we have towels mopping up all the water. No idea where it's leaking from.

Engineer is coming out on Thursday.

Yours, Plasticfedup.

Posted (edited)

Make sure you have all the Covid PPE ready for him :^

Edited by mr.me

Posted (edited)

Washing machine has given up? 

27 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

... it breaks down every year. ... No reviews have mentioned how fragile it is.

Poor thing sounds like an emotional wreck. Maybe give it a talk? Or take it out for a day trip? Cup of tea? :?

PS Next time, buy German (Bosch, etc) for reliability.

Edited by notaclue
  • Like 1

Get a Miele. My last one went wrong twice in 23 years, it was still repairable by Miele but I decided the money was best invested in a new one. Buying direct they were able to organise 12 months interest free credit too. It would've been rude not to take it!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, notaclue said:

Poor thing sounds like an emotional wreck. Maybe give it a talk? Or take it out for a day trip? Cup of tea? :?

Miele would be top of my choices.  All our large kitchen appliances are now Miele.  Got a Mate who used to do sub contract electrical work for councils in London.  The only machines that could stand up to use and sometimes misuse were Miele. 

All washing machines have a filter some at the front some at the rear , if the filter is blocked when the machine trys to empty the water goes all over the floor , Check the filter 

Google the make and model to find the filter , easy job to check 

• Upvote 1

I know other people who have had reliability issues with Samsung washing machines a lot sooner so I'm inclined to think you've done well getting to six years. 

I went with Bosch myself over Samsung partly for reliability reasons, as well as the rather exciting Samsung pricing. No regrets so far, after two and a bit years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notaclue said:

+1 for bosch...i have one..on the whole pretty good..replaced door rubber and pump in eight years.. 

A bit overpriced is Miele. You can buy a few lesser brands for a fraction of their cost. Having said that they do cheaper ones south of £1000 these days. Not sure how Bosch are these days as I've had my washer for 13 years and had to replace the motor brushes a year or so ago. Also had to totally replace the Bosch dishwasher after 12 years as it wasn't worth repairing. According to my local expert the current Bosch dishwashers aren't a patch on the older ones but the pumps are easier to replace. Nigh on impossible on the older one. He said the washers were still decent but only time will tell.

3 hours ago, notaclue said:

Next time it probably will be Bosch. The only reason for buying a Samsung is because it came with a 5-year warranty - every year something went wrong with. We didn't have it 12 months and the thing was bouncing around the kitchen. I made sure the feet were adjusted but made no difference. The engineer replaced the shock absorbers... a brand new machine from Currys. In the five years we had most things replaced.

3 hours ago, Ron Hilditch said:

Miele would be top of my choices.  All our large kitchen appliances are now Miele.  Got a Mate who used to do sub contract electrical work for councils in London.  The only machines that could stand up to use and sometimes misuse were Miele. 

We don't Miele money. Just purchased that CDP and with no income at the moment...stretch to a 9kg Bosch but that's our limit.

3 minutes ago, Ears said:

Still using the same old Miele after nearly 30 years.  You work out the cost per year.

Agreed: You have to have the money in the first instance to buy the darn thing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Next time it probably will be Bosch. The only reason for buying a Samsung is because it came with a 5-year warranty - every year something went wrong with. We didn't have it 12 months and the thing was bouncing around the kitchen. I made sure the feet were adjusted but made no difference. The engineer replaced the shock absorbers... a brand new machine from Currys. In the five years we had most things replaced.

Ah yes, that's more like the experience of other owners I know. One of whom works for Samsung, but on their phones not their washing machines.

You might be surprised. My new one was £579 with 12 months 0%. My first one I got as a second (which they still do and you can look at their stocklist online) for £299!