plasticpenguin

Washing machine has given up

My Bosch cost around £300. I got a cheap trial membership of Which? first to get an idea of performance and it was rated highly on the performance criteria I cared about.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Carrington said:

You might be surprised. My new one was £579 with 12 months 0%. My first one I got as a second (which they still do and you can look at their stocklist online) for £299!

Could you show me where? I can't find a 9kg on their website, recommended suppliers or mainstream retailers of below £850

26 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Ah yes, that's more like the experience of other owners I know. One of whom works for Samsung, but on their phones not their washing machines.

I've had a Samsung Smartphone for well over a year and it hasn't missed a beat so far (fingers crossed).

6 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Could you show me where? I can't find a 9kg on their website, recommended suppliers or mainstream retailers of below £850

Currys own brand..cheap and cheerful!  I had one of their dishwashers..excellent 

We went for a Samsung a couple of months back - been excellent so far.

11 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

It's not a 9kg machine but personally I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of capacity for reliability. It's also gone up £40! I must've caught it at a good moment...

https://www.miele.co.uk/e/w1-classic-front-loading-washing-machine-wdb020-gb-lw-eco-10609230-p

1 hour ago, Ears said:

Still using the same old Miele after nearly 30 years.  You work out the cost per year.

Ours isn't quite that old, but after 20 years it's running as well as it did when brand new. Never had a moment's trouble with it. If/when? it does go pop, we'll just go and buy another - can't see that happening for a long time yet. :^

Posted (edited)

My mrs has been here 20 years, over that time we have had 4 washing machines we have bought

Zanussi of unknown age

Zanussi = 2 years, not repairable

Indesit = 2 years, not repairable

Bosch = 5 years, not repairable

Miele = 8 years and counting.......

I wouldn't bother with Bosch, we've had a washing machine, dish washer and fridge that were quite fragile.  Our Miele dishwasher is about 12 years old and has never missed a beat.  The other was a Bosch that lasted about about 6 years. Before that "hands that do dishes"

Edited by gintonic
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Get yourself over to the HiFi Wigwam equivalent forum for washing machines and other white goods.  It's quite an eye opener - much as someone stumbling across this forum when wondering about a new stereo...

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forums/

This is a particularly good place to start if you really want to dive down the rabbit hole

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/buying-advice/washing-machine/2925-the-great-washing-machine-swindle/

Edited by lostwin
extra link

1 hour ago, Carrington said:

It's not a 9kg machine but personally I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of capacity for reliability. It's also gone up £40! I must've caught it at a good moment...

https://www.miele.co.uk/e/w1-classic-front-loading-washing-machine-wdb020-gb-lw-eco-10609230-p

We can't sacrifice the size because of Mrs. P's needs and there's 3 of us in the house.

Thanks for the suggestion. :^

1 hour ago, Tony_J said:

We went for a Samsung a couple of months back - been excellent so far.

Perhaps we picked up a bummer. Certainly all the reviews for the EcoBubble at the time were favourable, according to Which? Add in the 5 year guarantee and it looks like a good package. Alas...

Let's see what the repair man says on Thursday and take it from there.

Good Morning All,

Another vote for Miele here. We have a Miele washing machine/ tumble drier and dishwasher here at the house and a Miele washer/ dryer at the flat. Oldest item is at least 8yrs old with zero issues to date - can't say that for any other laundry device we've owned.

Regards

Richard