Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

It seems that Chinese manufacturer Topping produce a nice selection of cost effective DAC's that measure very well (gawd, I sound like Keith)... but I'd welcome comments from those who actually own one of their DAC's (D10, E30, D50, D90 etc) with regards how they actually sound in their systems...

Edited by orbscure

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I've ordered a Topping D90 MQA which is due to be delivered tomorrow (Monday 1st June) via DHL. In addition, I also have an Innuos Zenith MK3 1TB en route to me directly from Portugal. ETA this Friday or next Monday. I would like to offer my thoughts on this DAC once I have had a chance to listen to its sound. Initially, I will pass my CD player through it and see what I hear. Thereafter, once I receive the Zenith Mk3, I will connect it via USB and make comparisons. Obviously, there may be the so called 'burn in' period required which may lead to on going updates. This is all new for me so I'll tell the story as it evolves.

The system which I've put together is: PrimaLuna EVO 400 Integrated Amplifier, Topping D90 MQA DAC, Audioquest Coffee USB Cable, Innuos Zenith MK3 1TB Streamer/CD Ripper, Audioquest Ruby Interconnects, Pioneer PD-S904 Stable Plater CD Player, Pioneer CT-W806 DR Cassette Player/Recorder, Rega Planar 2 Turntable, Rega Fono MM MK3 Phono Stage, Cabletalk interconnects, QED Silver Speaker Cable, Klipsch Forte III Speakers.

Looking forward to share my thoughts and also get involved with all Wammer's!

20200506_114326.jpg

20200529_132028.jpg

Edited by Gosh!Wow!HowMuch!
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Thanks for the feedback and I look forward to hearing how you get on with the D90... I've not got much in the way of disposable income so have been looking at the E30, simply to connect via USB to my Win10 Korus server (running jRiver MC26) and then onto my amp. I have a Cambridge Audio CXN which does a fantastic job up to 24/192 via USB, but I have some higher resolution material which it down-samples, hence my looking at some of the cheaper Chinese options. I also like the look and reviews of the Sabaj D5, but that's also a bit to rich for me at present...

Posted (edited)

A pleasure orbscure. I've been able to accelerate to this audio stage as I sold on my fully restored Pioneer SX-1980 Receiver & HPM-100 Speakers for absolutely silly money. Really rare to find these 'monsters' in top condition in the UK but I believe pretty common in the USA.

Instead of dwindling the money away I reinvested into the upgraded audio otherwise I would have not achieved it if I left it any later. Must admit, I am missing the behemoth Receiver as it was unique and a 'minter'. But, I've entered a new arena of Audio that I'm really enjoying.

A Topping D50 connected to your Cambridge Audio CXN via USB would be brilliant.

20180131_104802.jpg

Edited by Gosh!Wow!HowMuch!
  • Like 2

DHL sent me a text update this morning to advise that delivery will be this Thursday! 😤

Seems the retailer missed the collection window on Friday! 😠

Oh well.... more time to absorb the current sound character of my system before adding the DAC. 

• Like 1

Well I've got a D30 for my second system and for the money it's great, clear detailed and it plays all my files.  My only comparison would be my Calyx 24/192 which is older and cost quite a bit more,  gives more weight and body to the music, although doubtful you get more detail.  I use one of these with it and would recommend with any Topping dac.

https://www.oehlbach.com/en/audio-equip/electronics/xxl-masterclock

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gosh!Wow!HowMuch! said:

DHL sent me a text update this morning to advise that delivery will be this Thursday! 😤

Seems the retailer missed the collection window on Friday! 😠

Oh well.... more time to absorb the current sound character of my system before adding the DAC. 

Boo!

Super Wammer
12 hours ago, Gosh!Wow!HowMuch! said:

A Topping D50 connected to your Cambridge Audio CXN via USB would be brilliant.

Unfortunately that won't solve my not being able to stream anything above 24/192 via USB with the CXN... however, I can stream via an iPhone app called mconnect, but that's a convoluted solution...

2 hours ago, Gosh!Wow!HowMuch! said:

DHL sent me a text update this morning to advise that delivery will be this Thursday!

That's a shame... hardly a surprise though given the state of the world at the mo... its only 4 more sleeps though :) 

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, antonio66 said:

Well I've got a D30 for my second system and for the money it's great, clear detailed and it plays all my files.  My only comparison would be my Calyx 24/192 which is older and cost quite a bit more,  gives more weight and body to the music, although doubtful you get more detail.  I use one of these with it and would recommend with any Topping dac.

https://www.oehlbach.com/en/audio-equip/electronics/xxl-masterclock

Cheers David... they do indeed appear to be good value, sound nice and measure well too :)

3 hours ago, orbscure said:

Unfortunately that won't solve my not being able to stream anything above 24/192 via USB with the CXN... however, I can stream via an iPhone app called mconnect, but that's a convoluted solution...

What's the DAC in the CXN like? I thought it would be pretty good as it goes to 24/384?

Judging by comments seen on various forums these Cambridge Audio people are pretty good with DAC's. I almost bought the CXN V2 to run in another room but decided to plough all in to my main Streamer.

Thought this may be of interest to Topping fans:

• Upvote 1

I have a Topping D10 in my office system; I also had an iFi Zen DAC too; which I sent back as the Topping sound, for me, was much better (punchier, livelier midrange and smoother overall)

It’s a great little box and worth finding and buying one, if you can :) 

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gosh!Wow!HowMuch! said:

What's the DAC in the CXN like? I thought it would be pretty good as it goes to 24/384?

Judging by comments seen on various forums these Cambridge Audio people are pretty good with DAC's. I almost bought the CXN V2 to run in another room but decided to plough all in to my main Streamer.

It sounds very nice indeed and was purchased as a result of a change in my personal circumstances. The CXN v2 replaced an RME DAC with a view to provide a single box replacement to my bespoke Korus Win10 music server... but old habits die hard and I still find myself using the server, as well as the CXN... but as that up-samples from 24/192 to 24/384 and I'm looking to find a cost effective DAC so that's why I've been looking at these Topping DAC's :) 

1 hour ago, norliss said:

Thought this may be of interest to Topping fans:

Unfortunately the D90 is a but too expensive for me at the mo, but its a nice bit of kit with very good peer/user reviews :)

28 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I have a Topping D10 in my office system; I also had an iFi Zen DAC too; which I sent back as the Topping sound, for me, was much better (punchier, livelier midrange and smoother overall) It’s a great little box and worth finding and buying one, if you can :) 

Pardon the pun, but that sounds promising... if only the E30 was available here in the UK without the long delay, but given the worldwide situations, its hardly a surprise and most of the Chinese DAC's are on similar lead times...

Edited by orbscure
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, orbscure said:

It sounds very nice indeed... as a result of personal circumstances, the CXN v2 replaced an RME DAC with a view to provide a single box replacement to my bespoke Korus Win10 music server... but old habits die hard and I still find myself using the server, as well as the CXN, but as that up-samples from 24/192 to 24/384  I'm looking to find a cost effective DAC and that's why I've been looking at these Topping DAC's :) 

Unfortunately the D90 is a but too expensive for me at the mo, but its a nice bit of kit with very good peer/user reviews :)

Pardon the pun, but that sounds promising... if only the E30 was available here in the UK without the long delay, but given the worldwide situations, its hardly a surprise and most of the Chinese DAC's are on similar lead times...

I did not think the review was that good. There are some new Chinese DACs which measure better than the Topping D90 but cost under £400. One is about £370. Interesting his comments about measuring and sounding, the Schiits I believe measure poorly. Long delays on many items from China but the DAC I mentioned is available through a dealer who posts on this forum.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Which DAC is £370 BeeRay?

Yep, plenty of comments either way about the D90, like most products... and yes, there are several new models from other manufacturers too, of which I quite fancy the Sabaj D5 at around £400 and available here in the UK.  I also personally like balanced outs too and the Sabaj ticks that box too... as does the Soncoz SGD1 (stocked by Keith) which can also be sourced from UK stocks via Amazon...

Edited by orbscure