Paulq

Record Cleaning Machine - basic or not?

Having invested in a TT last year I managed to bring down a sizeable collection of vinyl that's been sitting in the attic for 25 years!  The general condition of them is good but they will undoubtedly need a clean and I plan to invest in an RCM but it's my very first foray with them.

Would appreciate views as to whether 'basic' ones like the Knosti/Spin Clean are sufficient or whether the Okki Nokki One or Pro-Ject VC-S2 are worth the additional outlay?  I am drawn to them because of the drying function really. Am not sure if one os any better than the other so would welcome views.

As an aside, I can't seem to find anywhere selling the Okki Nokki One at the moment - must be because it's new.

Thanks.

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, Paulq said:

Having invested in a TT last year I managed to bring down a sizeable collection of vinyl that's been sitting in the attic for 25 years!  The general condition of them is good but they will undoubtedly need a clean and I plan to invest in an RCM but it's my very first foray with them.

Would appreciate views as to whether 'basic' ones like the Knosti/Spin Clean are sufficient or whether the Okki Nokki One or Pro-Ject VC-S2 are worth the additional outlay?  I am drawn to them because of the drying function really. Am not sure if one os any better than the other so would welcome views.

As an aside, I can't seem to find anywhere selling the Okki Nokki One at the moment - must be because it's new.

Thanks.

Ive got a yellow plastic Spin Clean thing and it was a disaster although it has a label on it saying 'recommended by Pro-Ject'. The records looked nice and shiny, but there was a huge amount of extra clicks and pops introduced by the cleaning process.

I've got a Pro-Ject RCM that I use with Arte du Son cleaning fluid and covers33 sleeves and it works just great.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Spend a bit more and buy a Project VC or equivalent. The results are fantastic 👍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beyond you said:

Spend a bit more and buy a Project VC or equivalent. The results are fantastic 👍

I was looking at the Pro-Ject VC-E but read about issues with the vent actually releasing moisture back on to the underside of the record.  Looks like the VC-S2 may be a better bet, not sure.

Super Wammer
23 minutes ago, Paulq said:

I was looking at the Pro-Ject VC-E but read about issues with the vent actually releasing moisture back on to the underside of the record.  Looks like the VC-S2 may be a better bet, not sure.

My VC-S Mk1 I think?? The vent you can adjust downwards, I couldn’t comment on the VC-E

9B8121D7-123E-4005-8A74-34EEA4217699.thumb.jpeg.e753e0dd01147451c1ca12365f7b2cf3.jpeg

Super Wammer

My only complaint since I’ve had mine the brush strips on the arm becomes unstuck? Henley audio at the time when I brought it supplied me with another arm and I still have the issue which I live with. However when I use the machine I reapply the strips and no issues when cleaning. Like I said the results are excellent but I cannot compare to another cleaning machine. By the way my mate brought the same model and never had the issue with unstuck strips?

D09A15F6-8868-432E-B8DB-07B44D92AAF9.thumb.jpeg.6953c3e96f7db360d240e045dba59252.jpeg

Had a Okki until it broke made in china & replaced with a project actually cheaper & made in Europe & excellent value RCM

Recently bought my last ever RCM a loricraft PRC6 

Get an Oki or a Project.  Some art du son fluid, minimum spend for maximum results.

• Like 1

Can't find the new Okki so looks like a Project may be the way to go.  Is there anything that needs to be added to L'Art Du Son fluid or do you use that straight from the bottle via spray?

9 minutes ago, arturo said:

Get an Oki or a Project.  Some art du son fluid, minimum spend for maximum results.

Don't need that expensive fluid. Making your own is far cheaper

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kernow said:

What do you make yours with?

5 minutes ago, kernow said:

Probably, but least faff is to order ads online. 

Super Wammer
18 minutes ago, Paulq said:

Can't find the new Okki so looks like a Project may be the way to go.  Is there anything that needs to be added to L'Art Du Son fluid or do you use that straight from the bottle via spray?

You dilute it with distilled water 20 ml per litre.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, arturo said:

Probably, but least faff is to order ads online. 

That fluid is really expensive no? I thought you said cheap

53 minutes ago, Paulq said:

What do you make yours with?

1 part isopropyl to 4 parts distilled water, couple drops of a surfactant (fairy liquid will do but I use Triton x) costs pennies compared to expensive fluids with wanky names

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2