Paulq

Record Cleaning Machine - basic or not?

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, kernow said:

That fluid is really expensive no? I thought you said cheap

Per record it costs virtually nothing.

If you want to push the boat out you could get a Loricraft PRC machine , 5 year guarantee and they hold a very good resale value 

If you're a real cheap-skate (like me) buy a KAB EV1 and use your own vacuum cleaner.

I always intended to replace it when I had more funds but it works very well.

Kernow's recipe for fluid is the one I use.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, rdale said:

Per record it costs virtually nothing.

I just don't think it's a very good suggestion for doing it cheap that's all. I could never buy it with that name either. It's not an aftershave

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, lazycat said:

If you're a real cheap-skate (like me) buy a KAB EV1 and use your own vacuum cleaner.

I always intended to replace it when I had more funds but it works very well.

Kernow's recipe for fluid is the one I use.

I have one here doing nothing if you are interested. It'll be a lot cheaper than my VPI was; PM me if you are interested.

Edit: that's to the PM, not you Lazycat!

Edited by myles

45 minutes ago, kernow said:

1 part isopropyl to 4 parts distilled water, couple drops of a surfactant (fairy liquid will do but I use Triton x) costs pennies compared to expensive fluids with wanky names

This is pretty much what I go with - but with a drip of dishwasher fluid.

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, kernow said:

I just don't think it's a very good suggestion for doing it cheap that's all. I could never buy it with that name either. It's not an aftershave

Using alcohol in a record cleaning fluid is controversial and I don’t want to use anything that contains it on my records. They are worth a lot more to me than risking them by going cheapskate on cleaning fluid.

I still have a SOTA record cleaning machine available if anyone is after one. 

36 minutes ago, rdale said:

Using alcohol in a record cleaning fluid is controversial and I don’t want to use anything that contains it on my records. They are worth a lot more to me than risking them by going cheapskate on cleaning fluid.

Each to their own.

But, I've used this recipe for years and it's rescued many Charity finds - and cleaned my own - without any problems.

• Like 1

DIY an ultrasonic cleaner for £150 tops,  air dry on a rack for an hour or so. Sorted 👍

Super Wammer

I bought an Okki Nokki second hand for £250 - cleaned nearly 1000 albums and it is great.  I make my own fluid - in the formula below you can substitute Tergitol for Ilfatol (some people are saying Tergitol is better and can be found easily on ebay).  If you use Tergitol you need to use less but google to find out (Paul Rigby did a review on it on his site).

RECORD CLEANING FLUID

To make 1/2 (half) Litre.

400ml Triple Distilled Water (we do not want umpteen posts on the type of water - do not use ionised it is not a pure, use distilled)
100ml Methyl Alcahol. (or isoprypol I prefer Methyl it evaporates faster) 
2.5ml of Ilford Ilfotol. 

I lift the vacuum arm as the record is still turning (after two revolutions of suction) and gently hold a microfibre to the record to lift any residue of liquid left from the velvet under the vacuum arm) .. also have a second microfibre to run over the velvel pads to ensure no crud is building up on them.

I got five litres of triple distilled online for not a lot of money - the ilfatol costs about £11 to £14 a bottle and i got the methyl alcohol from ebay 

Job done

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Or :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1