Posted (edited)

Yes, I got a message telling me that I was going to have to do this. It looks like problems if you use the MP3 stream but if you’re on Tidal, you’re probably streaming full fat. 

I’m pretty surprised/grateful mysqueezebox.com is still going. The project was mothballed years ago.  We must be on borrowed time with this. 

Edited by HectorHughMunro

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, HectorHughMunro said:

Yes, I got a message telling me that I was going to have to do this. It looks like problems if you use the MP3 stream but if you’re on Tidal, you’re probably streaming full fat. 

I’m pretty surprised/grateful mysqueezebox.com is still going. The project was mothballed years ago.  We must be on borrowed time with this. 

According to most who had Logitech units we were on borrowed time as soon as they stopped making the SBT . That has been over ten years now and not only are many of the units still working but LMS is thriving with the hard work and dedication of quite a few on the Squeezebox Forum . We are now seeing LMS 8.0 and continued improvements and enhancements mostly for free from those working on the open source software. I think the time to worry about it carrying on has gone and been replaced by great strides in over coming problems like Tidal changes , BBC streams changes , Spotify and others and just delivering a really great product. Logitech could have pulled the server plug many years ago but they have not and there are no signs that this will change except for the better.

• Upvote 1

The fact that you can now build workable Squeezebox lookalikes has made a massive difference. One of my SBTs just died; I have ordered some Pi bits to play with as a replacement. If that goes well, I will build a second and sell the other SBT off.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
37 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

The fact that you can now build workable Squeezebox lookalikes has made a massive difference. One of my SBTs just died; I have ordered some Pi bits to play with as a replacement. If that goes well, I will build a second and sell the other SBT off.

When are you expecting these to arrive, and what have you ordered Tony? Keep us updated on your progress :)

9 minutes ago, greybeard said:

When are you expecting these to arrive, and what have you ordered Tony? Keep us updated on your progress :)

I've ordered a Pi Zero with a JustBoom digi zero board to give me TOSLINK output. Should be arriving this week with luck. I plan to try out PiCorePlayer and possibly Volumio as well and see how I get on and whether the Zero is a viable option. I figure it will give me an idea of what is possible and I can then decide whether to go full fat Pi4 etc. for the second system. I use Wi-fi with my SBTs at the moment so lack of a hard wired LAN connection isn't a problem. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony_J said:

I've ordered a Pi Zero with a JustBoom digi zero board to give me TOSLINK output. Should be arriving this week with luck. I plan to try out PiCorePlayer and possibly Volumio as well and see how I get on and whether the Zero is a viable option. I figure it will give me an idea of what is possible and I can then decide whether to go full fat Pi4 etc. for the second system. I use Wi-fi with my SBTs at the moment so lack of a hard wired LAN connection isn't a problem. 

I use PiCorePlayer and and it's an easy install. It works well and it can also host an LMS. There used to be an "audio optimised" version of it at one point.

Another option that you already have is to re-purpose the Simple Audio Roomplayer you bought ...  it doesn't have WiFi but instead uses power line networking or a hard wired LAN connection. First step would be to download the Simple Audio Windows application, connect the device to your network, and check the whole things works. After that you can log into you Roomplayer using SSH and install squeezelite. I've done this and kept the squeezelite software on a USB stick, and plugged it into the back of the Roomplayer.

The picture below shows the Roomplayer in action using a Raspberry Pi with piCorePlayer and LMS

IMG-20200119-WA0000.thumb.jpg.89e4a7878c47c19a0c38fa7b32154cd3.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, t1no said:

I use PiCorePlayer and and it's an easy install. It works well and it can also host an LMS. There used to be an "audio optimised" version of it at one point.

Another option that you already have is to re-purpose the Simple Audio Roomplayer you bought ...  it doesn't have WiFi but instead uses power line networking or a hard wired LAN connection. First step would be to download the Simple Audio Windows application, connect the device to your network, and check the whole things works. After that you can log into you Roomplayer using SSH and install squeezelite. I've done this and kept the squeezelite software on a USB stick, and plugged it into the back of the Roomplayer.

The picture below shows the Roomplayer in action using a Raspberry Pi with piCorePlayer and LMS

IMG-20200119-WA0000.thumb.jpg.89e4a7878c47c19a0c38fa7b32154cd3.jpg

That's a good thought - I will give that a go at some point too. The Pi Zero approach appeals because of the small form factor, plus the fact that the hardware is likely to be available for years to come.

1 hour ago, Man in a van said:

That is seriously cool.

Super Wammer

Tony if you are only going to use the Pi Zero as a player then while I do use only full size Pi units there is little difference . If the Pi Zero has in built WiFi then you will be good to go . If you decide to set up a Pi music server running LMS and housing your Library via USB HD then would suggest that you buy a Pi4 for that purpose only and just plug it in close to your router and ethernet wire it . The new Pi 4 4GB unit is very quick and responsive and is as good a server as I have heard up to now . There is also if you feel like stereching it a new Pi 4 8GB unit and that will be seriously quick . I may well update the server at some time and convert the 4GB I have now to a player but not right now as things are working well and it is more than quick enough for me in its current set up .

Nver used a Pi Zero so will watch the progress on this with great interest .

Ronnie that link is magic and looks like a really good project I may well take a punt and give it a go myself just for the funn of building it and seeing what can be done . 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
16 minutes ago, bencat said:

The new Pi 4 4GB unit is very quick and responsive and is as good a server as I have heard up to now

I'm using the Pi 4 2GB without any issues, I have a 2TB HDD in one of the USB3 slots, and it is streaming directly into the USB A on my dac. I am using Volumio.

• Upvote 1

Hi Andrew - I have a PC that is permanently on (it runs our weather station) which I use as a LMS server, so running the Pi only as a player. I figured that the Zero would be well up for that, so it may be that I don't need to go for the Pi4. I will report on progress.

I'm going to build a player for the shed at some point which will need line out - that Pirate Audio setup looks like the perfect solution for that!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, greybeard said:

I'm using the Pi 4 2GB without any issues, I have a 2TB HDD in one of the USB3 slots, and it is streaming directly into the USB A on my dac. I am using Volumio.

Presumably if you need to add music to the HDD you have to plug it into a PC, or does the Pi allow you to see the drive on the network?