toms wait

Proac speakers

Bit of a weird one but genuine enquiries.  Maybe this has been done before, apologies if so.

Over the years I have had people recommend Proac speakers to me.  I heard Response 1s's at home years ago.

I quite liked them, they did a lot right and were very animated, unforced and lively but not edgy.  Fun I guess is the word.

Is it me though or do Proac change their range very regularly and with similar sounding names and looks?

Also you guys in Proac land what is their most musical, none analytical play all day speaker range?  From the 90's onwards, sing their praises.

Price wise they always seem to be a premium product, and have many fans.

I know this looks like a how long is a piece of string post but I'd like to understand their different ranges and basic family traits.

• Like 1

It's worth a look at the Proac owner's thread, you might get an idea of general consensus re specific models etc - I don't get the sense that Proac are releasing new speakers with unusual frequency, and their naming system seems pretty clear - I have heard other Proac speakers, but the absolute stand out for me were/are the Response 1SCs - these have been my main speakers for around 20 years now, and whilst they do have their foibles, I've found little to touch them - they need really good, very high mass (& tall) stands; despite their size, they need a lot of space - well clear of all boundary walls; they need the right amplifier to really give their best (at one point I was threatened with divorce if I bought another amplifier to try, and I really don't think she was joking...), and obviously they lack low bass due to basic physics - a spot of carefully executed subwoofery works well for me. I have got a pair of Heco Direkts plumbed in at the moment - the first genuine competition for the 1SCs in my system - and they are superb, but different rather than necessarily better, and their aesthetics are a bit challenging to my eye, so I may well be sticking with the Proacs yet again, and that is actually a rather pleasing result - YMMV etc - MH

• Like 1

Reference to naming and frequency of models goes back through many years of passing interest in them.  

I heard the Heco Direkt a few years back on Audionote amp.  TBH I found it coarse and insistent with upper mid drowning most of what else it was playing.

Way too wide for my lounge.

• Like 2

I would actually say that the Proacs have more pronounced upper midrange - just goes to show that there are far too many variables to reliably generalise, and much that is subjective anyway

• Like 2

Ive had my 1sc's for over 15 years, same amp as @MotherSky and heavy stands and the Heco Direkt have replaced them. 

My 1sc's will be for sale soon when lock down eases.

Pronounced upper mid is what I have heard at shows from Proac but then lots of things sound like that at shows.

I haven't heard the 'fancy' ranges of Proac. I have lived with a pair of Studio 150's for 5 years.

TBH I didn't want 1 port, let alone 2. But they were available at a decent price considering they were/are minty.

Good from the off with an Expo amp. I fettled the crossovers 2.5 years ago, which, tbh, was a major improvement. Good went to great.

Changing to my Denon amp - great went to I'm not getting rid. Ever. Unless a lottery win....

Can't fault them. I'm sure further up the range they are better still. Even sounding, detailed and excellent with all types of music.

The best speakers I've ever owned.

Same goes for the system (after nearly 30 years of mostly lp12/naim).

• Like 1

I've owned Response 2 standmounts, Response 3 and Future Point 5 floorstanders. 

The Response 2 were the best by quite a way imo. Dynamic in a way very few other speakers manage, explosively fast when called for. Great all round, one of my fave speakers. Good stands essential. 

The Response 3 were slower and less interesting. Pretty good, but not special in the way the 2 was. 

The fancy open baffle, ribbon hybrid Future. 5 were a mistake, vague imaging and poor bass for the size of the cabinet. 

I've also heard and disliked the Studio 140, popular but very ordinary imo. 

Personally I think the Response series are the ones to go for. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

I've owned Response 2 standmounts, Response 3 and Future Point 5 floorstanders. 

The Response 2 were the best by quite a way imo. Dynamic in a way very few other speakers manage, explosively fast when called for. Great all round, one of my fave speakers. Good stands essential. 

Jerry, was the one you like the current Response D2 or are they different now?  I enjoyed the D20R when auditioning three years ago, but wasn’t entirely sure about the sound on some voices.  Great for smaller ensembles, jazz etc with lots of life as you describe. 
https://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/html_files/Speakers.php?Range=Response&Speaker=ResponseDTwo

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lazycat said:

I haven't heard the 'fancy' ranges of Proac. I have lived with a pair of Studio 150's for 5 years.

TBH I didn't want 1 port, let alone 2. But they were available at a decent price considering they were/are minty.

Good from the off with an Expo amp. I fettled the crossovers 2.5 years ago, which, tbh, was a major improvement. Good went to great.

Changing to my Denon amp - great went to I'm not getting rid. Ever. Unless a lottery win....

Can't fault them. I'm sure further up the range they are better still. Even sounding, detailed and excellent with all types of music.

The best speakers I've ever owned.

Same goes for the system (after nearly 30 years of mostly lp12/naim).

This mirrors my experience. I bought my 150s damaged. A kind former Wammer obtained a couple of new drivers from ProAc, fitted them and upgraded the crossover. I’ve had them for 11 years now. I upgraded my amp 4 years ago to a Rotel RA1570, the 150s thrive on the current the Rotel produces. 

I’d like to try something with ribbon tweeters in the future and fancy some big Tannoys if I ever have the room. I’ll never sell the 150s though. 

I heard extensively  the 140s that the previous owner of my 150s replaced them with. I think the 150s are a better speaker. 

Cheers BB 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

Jerry, was the one you like the current Response D2 or are they different now?  I enjoyed the D20R when auditioning three years ago, but wasn’t entirely sure about the sound on some voices.  Great for smaller ensembles, jazz etc with lots of life as you describe. 
https://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/html_files/Speakers.php?Range=Response&Speaker=ResponseDTwo

Hi Nick

The one I alluded to was the original Response 2, not sure but I think it was the first speaker in the ongoing Response/R series.

I heard the D2 only at a Show but having high hopes I was a bit disappointed, I wasn't that taken by the 2.5 either, although many folks loved it.

At shows I've heard quite a few over the years; maybe it's just nostalgia but I suspect there was a magic in the original that they never quite managed to repeat.  They seemed to develop into increasingly hifi-impressive rather than music-impressive.
I wasn't the only one to fall in love with that speaker, I seem to recall an ecstatic review in one of the US mags .... ah yes, here it is by the idiosyncratically cutesy Corey Greenberg - https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/792proac/index.html
He was dead right about using Target R2 stands, essential for getting the best out of them.  You get at least a 50% performance drop otherwise.

Here's the conclusion from that 1992 review .. 1992 ye gods, nearly 30 years ago!
Conclusion
I don't have to tell you I loved these ProAcs. As thrilled as I was with what they could do, I was even more impressed by what they did not. As antithetical to the whole hi-fi–nut syndrome as any I've heard, the ProAc Response Two is a stunning product that delivers a quality of sound most audiophile speakers only hint at. If, like me, you're sick of playing the "hot speaker of the month" game and just want to ENJOY YOUR MUSIC, leave the audionuts to their speaker-angst and audition the Response Twos. At almost $4000 with stands, are they expensive? Yes. Are they worth it? Without a doubt.

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 3

I had a pair of D2s about 5-6 years ago now.... they were nice but nothing special, just didn't give me great moments,  and I moved them on after only about 15 months.   I think they cost about £1600 then - I see they are now more like £2600 with the dome tweeter or more if you want a ribbon version.  Its great they are still made in UK but those prices.... sorry, not justifiable.   

By contrast... I'm currently listening to pair of KEF R3.... well KEF don't have the cachet of the likes of Proac anymore since they moved most manufacturing to China... but these R3s are superb, about same size and shape as the Proac D2s but to my ears much more convincing and musically involving - and half the price.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the input fellas.

It seems to me the early ones are bestist, for music.

Response 2's and floorstanding 140's or 150's according to taste appear to be favourites amongst owners.

• Like 1

and there is a great proac FB group if you want lots of pics and fan club 

• Like 1