toms wait

Proac speakers

Just messing about on www and found a facebook page by Mr Brian Taylor he of Impulse fame and he is working on a new speaker.  A horn but dimensioned like electrostatics.  Be interesting to see if this gets to market. 

Love my d2's. I cant see myself moving them on anytime soon. Auditioned a fair few speakers (kef, pmc, b&w, atc) and I just felt the d2's were more musical than the rest. 

2 hours ago, toms wait said:

Thanks for the input fellas.

It seems to me the early ones are bestist, for music.

Response 2's and floorstanding 140's or 150's according to taste appear to be favourites amongst owners.

I thought that the Studio 148 was a good in but, perhaps, a bit too big-sounding for my living room.

It was sooo musical as well as bouncy and rambunctious. A load of fun with a lovely musical mid-range glow.

13 minutes ago, Sotosound said:

It was sooo musical as well as bouncy and rambunctious. A load of fun with a lovely musical mid-range glow.

That reads like exactly the sound I have in my head and want in my room.  Big, fun, untidy, couth but shambling.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 08:46, toms wait said:

response 2.5 anyone?

Yes? l had a pair for a little while- loved them.:notworthy:

Also had the Response 2S and they were the one speaker l kick myself for letting go.:wall:

Use Tablette 10's in my little room now.:rockin:

Edited by Tarzan
Cabin Fever

My experience with the D30rs was full bodied sound with a consistent character across the frequency range, excepting the high end which was lovely and liquidy-sweet.  Possibly due to the ribbon tweeter

Ultimately I did not get them as they were too warm and friendly for me.

On 31/05/2020 at 19:23, toms wait said:

Just messing about on www and found a facebook page by Mr Brian Taylor he of Impulse fame and he is working on a new speaker.  A horn but dimensioned like electrostatics.  Be interesting to see if this gets to market. 

Wow that's interesting , yes I heard he was still around . That will be very very interesting

8 hours ago, Tarzan said:

Yes? l had a pair for a little while- loved them.:notworthy:

Also had the Response 2S and they were the one speaker l kick myself for letting go.:wall:

Use Tablette 10's in my little room now.:rockin:

I have been thinking about the tablette 10 as front and rear for an av system but my word they are not cheap !! Think the Dali are staying a bit longer !

On 31/05/2020 at 19:23, toms wait said:

" A horn but dimensioned like electrostatics."

I can't even begin to imagine what that means!  Could you explain?

Simple really wide like an electrostatic but not very deep.  So about 350mm wide and about 100mm deep.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

OK - thanks.  Agreed stats aren't very deep, but they can be any size and tall and narrow, or short and wide, or wide and tall or .... etc

What's the difference between ribbons, planars and ... ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.EdPl7_dhw4mkwT0-v8Eb4QHaHa%26pid%3DApi&f=1

QUAD ESL57 electrostatic speakers - upgraded by ONE THING ...

Anyway, right, thanks.

Edited by JANDL100

For my 2p worth, Tablette's or 1SC ProAc's are OK, if they are on super heavy Target R series stands with a meaty transistor amp, never been convinced by the rest.  I also found them speaker cable fussy.

18 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

OK - thanks.  Agreed stats aren't very deep, but they can be any size and tall and narrow, or short and wide, or wide and tall or .... etc

What's the difference between ribbons, planars and ... ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.EdPl7_dhw4mkwT0-v8Eb4QHaHa%26pid%3DApi&f=1

QUAD ESL57 electrostatic speakers - upgraded by ONE THING ...

Anyway, right, thanks.

Yes and, it was a simple explanation that didn't take into account the different heights and widths of electrostatic speakers as ably illustrated by your photos.

Apologies for the vague descriptors in future I'll try to be more specific.

• Haha 1

I should hope so.
Tsk.
Honestly, it could have meant almost anything.

:fly:

Anyway who would think to do flat horns, so wild it just might work.

Nice big flat canvas for some interesting artwork or fancy veneers.