dobson156

Different speaker cable lengths vs same legnth

My system is much closer to one speaker than it is to the other as there is a fire place in the centre of my wall, speakers are then located to the edges of the walls and then the system is between the fireplace and the right speaker. Like this:

<speaker> <gap> <fireplace> <system> <speaker>

As a result I need about a 4ft length to get to the right speaker, and about 16ft to get to the other.

Am I better off getting two 16ft lengths or should get the shortest for both, 16ft & 4ft?

Additionally, if the answer is 2x16, what should I do with the all of the slack on the short side? I am getting a neat tight coil stuffed behind the hifi cabinet is not the correct answer.

Posted (edited)

Can you not  do <speaker> <gap> <fireplace> <speaker> <system>

Or buy monoblock amps :(

Edited by mr.me

1 minute ago, mr.me said:

Can you not  do <speaker> <gap> <fireplace> <speaker> <system>

That'd mean that the cable from the left speaker would need to be even longer compared to the cable to the right speaker, but I could do that, yes. It'd also bring the speakers closer together which I'd of thought would have an impact on the stereo imaging/sound stage.

If you are concerned about heat from the fireplace don't be, there is plenty of 'breathing' room and it doesn't get hot there.

Posted (edited)

Ah! OK I see your configuration now. Don't know what your kit is or speaker cable  but it might be an idea to buy some cheap cable and try it out and see if you think it affects the imaging and will give you the opportunity to route it in an acceptable configuration if you think different lengths don't work for you.

Edit to say this is trying the 4ft x 16ft cabling

Edited by mr.me

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, hcanning said:

It won't make a blind bit of difference. :)

is that bec\use you are wearing a blind fold ? :rofl:

Due to the speed of propagation of the signal along the cable, you may find that you will have to move your head slightly to the left to correct the stereo image. it may be easier to move your chair to achieve this - around 0.2mm should be fine.

• Haha 7
  • Upvote 1

Just now, hcanning said:

Well it's always been called double blind testing *shrug* :D

Does that mean covering both eyes instead of one. :D

10 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

Due to the speed of propagation of the signal along the cable, you may find that you will have to move your head slightly to the left to correct the stereo image. it may be easier to move your chair to achieve this - around 0.2mm should be fine.

This can usually be performed by placing your tongue firmly in your cheek, use the cheek that is on the same side as the longer cable run.

Back in my world, If I know that my system has uneven lengths of speaker cable, the stereo image skews to onside, if I don't know it doesn't.

Old story, told a few times before.

Super Wammer

Equal length speaker cable requirements was only ever promoted by the cable suppliers & purveyors of such aka dealers.  The difference in timing and or resistance/impedance/capacitance is so small as to be negligible.  

My own system is set up similar to how you've described yours ....in my case with a different of approx 5 m in cable length.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you use weedy cables so that the resistance is significantly greater in the longer length then yes it could make a difference. Use proper cables with thick enough conductors and it will not make any difference

The only other issue, if you are buying posh designer cables and they cost a lot and you might sell on, then they will be easier to sell on if they are of a similar length.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Electrically, it makes absolutely zero difference unless the cables are deliberately made with some sort of increased resistance, capaciatnce or inductance. Which they shouldn't be.

The one factor you might consider if they are relatively expensive cables is that resale value will be decimated if they aren't matching lengths.

• Like 2