reg

Espresso Machines and Grinders

Hi All,

I have used to search function and can't find anything so started a new thread.

I have at home a Rancilio Silvia and Iberital MC2 that are about 10 years old and have been performing just fine.

One of the benefits of lockdown is that i have been using them both a lot more. Have also tried out cold Brew and Aeropress but that's another thread

The negative side affect has been watching lots of Youtube videos about technique etc and this obviously includes "better" machines.

I would imagine that Coffee is much like hifi in that you can spend many thousands on kit but diminishing returns kick in and the improvements as you go up the scale are smaller and smaller.

Also i am not running a coffee shop so the Boiler size/steam volume etc are less of an issue for me. Having heat exchanger/dual boiler is only marginally helpful as well i would assume as i am more than happy to wait the minute or so for the Silvia to get to brew temperature after steaming. I am the only one in the house that drinks the stuff.

So should i just stick with what i have or is it worth upgrading. There are some stunning machines out there.

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Be careful about "upgrading". I had a basic DeLonghi manual machine and was getting a good cup of coffee with a decent crema and thought that I would upgrade to a DeLonghi Autentica Plus semi auto machine and have never been able to get anywhere near close to a decent coffee. :(

Edited by mr.me

Fancy machines can get expensive quick I  have been enjoying using a inexpensive classic stove top perculator recently heat and whisk milk and combine.

Think the perculator was around £10 it makes an enjoyable coffee

👍

9 minutes ago, JamieMcC said:

Fancy machines can get expensive quick I  have been enjoying using a inexpensive classic stove top perculator recently heat and whisk milk and combine.

Think the perculator was around £10 it makes an enjoyable coffee

👍

I agree. A burr Grinder (optional) and a Bialetti Coffee Pot is cheap and makes great coffee:

Amazon.com: Bialetti Express Moka Pot, 6 -Cup, Aluminum Silver ...

Gosh, I bet you get a large coffee out of that :)

15 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

I need to buy a coffee grinder can anyone recommend a decent one for under £20. 

£20 is not really enough for a decent grinder. Even a manual.

Cheapest i have seen are from £25 and i would say it's worth paying a bit more

https://www.hario.co.uk/collections/coffee-grind/products/hario-skerton-pro-ceramic-coffee-mill

14 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

I need to buy a coffee grinder can anyone recommend a decent one for under £20. 

Not quite meeting your brief....and if it's just you: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/metallisk-coffee-grinder-stainless-steel-20360280/

Another option: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RS2G42S?tag=roastycoffeeuk-21

1 minute ago, reg said:

https://www.hario.co.uk/collections/coffee-grind/products/hario-skerton-pro-ceramic-coffee-mill

OK thanks. I had an old french (50 years) simple blade grinder which worked well until it broke, looking at some it seems the Krupps ones would be similar, they  start about £25.

Super Wammer
8 minutes ago, reg said:

I’m really pleased with my DeLonghi KG79, in fact I’ve got two of them. They last really well, and Amazon was doing them for less than 35 pounds.

Proper coffee corner

20200603_143944_resize_10.jpg

6 minutes ago, Don RJ said:

Proper coffee corner

20200603_143944_resize_10.jpg

Cool. What make are those? I assume the machine is a heat exchanger/dual boiler?

as per original question. What sort of difference would i expect moving from what i have to this kind of set up?

Espresso machine is an ECM Barista heat exchanger bought from Bella Barista and the grinder is  a Mazzer Royal that I picked for peanuts, just needed a clean and a new set of burrs.  Been making espresso for about 50 years.

On a low budget note I use a Bialetti Brika or an Aeropress when away from home but a good grinder is still the key to good coffee.

Posted (edited)

As for the how good is the espresso, very good. If i was buying now it would be shopping at sensible money for machine and grinder, this would be a good starting point. Thermal stability is the key with an espresso machine, so decent sized boiler and the chunky group head of an E61 machine is good, a better grinder will make an improvement but better than the Eureka will be 2-300 quid more

Lelit Mara and Eureka mignon grinder at Bella Barista, £1049.

facile_grinder_and_maras.png

Edited by Don RJ

1 hour ago, CnoEvil said:

I agree. A burr Grinder (optional) and a Bialetti Coffee Pot is cheap and makes great coffee:

Amazon.com: Bialetti Express Moka Pot, 6 -Cup, Aluminum Silver ...

My choice too. Just lovely coffee but the beans are the key.