Baba Yaga

Klimax System Katalyst Upgrade

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

07/03/17 was probably the date that the boards were designed, developed and signed off for production.

Linn does not have an inventory of spare circuit boards, as they custom produce their circuit boards on demand, at the time each order comes in.

You can be sure that the new Katalyst boards are fresh out of the oven

Correct, Paul. It was confirmed by Linn to be the design date.

1 hour ago, DavidHB said:

That is surely confirmed by the fact that the date is screen printed on the board; while the information specific to the board itself is written in by hand.

David

+1. By the way, the unpopulated PCB has been manufactured 14/10/19 by ZOT.

21 hours ago, CaptenBonScott said:

When I first started it up, as I said. I thought it sounded damn bad, I contacted my local trader and he thought the same, he reassured me that it will sound better after 10-15 hours. The treble and upper midrange screamed and sounded Sharp, so, put the dsm on an leave the building for a day or so :)

22 hours ago, rduras said:

When I upgraded AEBOX to Katalyst the new sound balance was quite different to my ears with a less pronounced high-frequency spectrum.  I changed the speaker's location and find the new ideal location for them so I did a new SO profile also.
Do not know if this makes any sense technically or I did not have the right ideal position before Katalyst. I found that a much better sounding location for speakers was closer to the wall.
As for sound improvement by Katalyst I cannot say that I was blown away by it but also cannot say that I don't like it.
The most important Katalyst benefit for me is the ease of listening at any volume level with lots of musical details that are not overemphasized and "in your face" but more laid back and very well incorporated in the overall sound.
I suppose this kind of improvement is probably not so easy to notice at first listenings after upgrade when we all expecting fireworks.

It didn‘t sound worse in my case, I noticed a slight improvement and not a ‚firework‘ 😀 (I like that description).

However things are improving or I either get used to the sound and forget the old one or all of the above 😀.

After about 30 hours it started getting better and better. I like the precision and the level of detail the new boards provide. Without really focusing on it I noticed suddenly that I understood the lyrics of some songs that I didn‘t before. Tonal balance has shifted a bit to lower frequencies, a bit more ‚foundation‘ so to speak. Amongst other things most noticeable the depth of stage has improved.

I just hope this process will continue 😀

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Things are stabilizing.
Still no ‚fireworks‘, ‚sparkling‘ or similar, it’s not that kind of Improvement.
Instead it is convincing by how effortless and detailed it can reproduce complex music. I have some albums where either vocals or instruments sound stressed, almost bordering to be annoying. That is gone now and is reproduced  clear and precisely.
 I‘d like to compare it to a car with a powerful engine that can accelerate any time without latency while a smaller one would get loud and noisy and build up acceleration slowly.   
It took a day or so to burn-in and a little time for me to appreciate the improvement.

Next stop: Urika II and Karousel. :D 
Based on the extremely positive feedback on the Karousel I‘m really curious how big an improvement that will bring in comparison.  No ETA yet, however...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 16/07/2020 at 17:54, Paulssurround said:

07/03/17 was probably the date that the boards were designed, developed and signed off for production.

Linn does not have an inventory of spare circuit boards, as they custom produce their circuit boards on demand, at the time each order comes in.

You can be sure that the new Katalyst boards are fresh out of the oven

Makes sense to me. It wouldn't be logical to have certain (volatile) information written by hand, but not the production date. This is still true in production of batches. Too much effort without gaining anything!

Edit: I have been stating the obvious. That happens if you answer, before you read the full thread. :$

Edited by TooManyCatweazles

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Next stop: Urika II and Karousel. :D 
Based on the extremely positive feedback on the Karousel I‘m really curious how big an improvement that will bring in comparison.  No ETA yet, however...

Like with your Katalyst upgrade, allow the new components to bed/burn in.

My system had to 'tune itself' for some days after Kay left.

I also retuned SO2, but that may be atypical? A few days prior to Kay's visit I experienced a 'software crash'. The KRDSM could only be recovered by setting it to factory standards. What I did not immediately notice, was some fuzzy configuration of my speakers, which was left in the system. I have no idea whether this was a cause, or an effect of the crash, or when and how it entered into the system.

After fixing this in a telephone call with Kay while remote access was granted to him, I went through SO2 almost from scratch. I just did not re-measure my room dimensions, as they were still valid.

I ended with different settings, but a better sounding system. So maybe my config was a bit corrupt earlier?

Bottom line: Never give up. Caveat: Getting the best sound is still a complex voyage of discovery. You have so many leavers to fine-tune, which in turn means, it's also easy to get it wrong.

As some bright mind once phrased: Simply listen!

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Like 2

I think the proper title for all of this is ‚The sorrows of elder Audiophile‘ :D

All to fast one gets used to the improved sound and soon we want the next kick. Like driving a sportscar. Quickly you get used to the acceleration which was ‚incredible‘ yesterday but will be just ‚ok‘ tomorrow.

And so the journey goes on and on...:doh:

• Like 5