Chivas

Audio Note 100k 40 step stereo attenuator

Hi all

Thanks for your comments and good ideas. I have thought of the metal rod, the issue is it won’t be able to be a straight rod, as on the PS side (where the vol pot is) you have the screening plate in the way, and on the signal side you have electronics and transformers in the way. Hopefully the pic below will help to understand.

I also thought of swapping the switches around, but the problem is that it is only the input selector that is not behind the screening plate, and if I moved that up to make way for the attenuator, then 1. I don’t think it will fit behind the screening plate, it also needs room for the wires at the back, and 2. All the connecting wires are cut to length, so will not extend to the next position on the front panel.

I cannot see an easy way around this

b8a2291ed9c05bc8ed2823fc486c2e91.jpg4b792065c743ccc48360542cd3d5284a.jpgd4636a0471edafb378f2c939aa26cf19.jpgc014b5c0e2dd007d1bcd2f63d40c481e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could reroute the connecting wires to the input selector along the green route (it currently follows the blue route) which will make it reach the next position on the front panel, but it will still not solve the space issue behind the screening plate. Even though the selector switch is smaller than the attenuator, it is still too big to fit between the front panel and screening plate

e0236874dbbcecfefaac94663e6f97ab.jpg

I wouldn't be butchering the M3 any day of the week. It's a shame you've "messed up" on the purchase but I'd get rid and buy an AN version that fits.

I wouldn't be butchering the M3 any day of the week. It's a shame you've "messed up" on the purchase but I'd get rid and buy an AN version that fits.

I’m inclined to agree with you. The “cheapest” version of the new AN 36 step attenuator is £660 + VAT for the stereo or 2 monos. The latter should fit if I disable the balance control. I cannot see myself butchering the M3 as you said, as 1. I’m anal about my equipment and 2. I will destroy more than £500 (the price differential between this attenuator and the new ones) of 2nd hand value of the M3

You could always run the M3 full volume to bypass the volume pot, and route the output into a stand alone box with your spangly new attenuator installed, and use that for volume control, kind of like a passive pre after the real pre. The passive's output impedance could be a bit alarming on parts of its travel so you'd want a power amp with *very* high input resistance.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

Short of major butchery, it simply isn't going to fit. Major butchery of an M3 seems a bit pointless, as the very small potential benefit of an AN stepped attenuator is likely to be offset by changing the cable runs and adding the possibility of introducing a little increased hum and noise. Not to mention that if you move it a serious distance you'll have to fork out for some AN cable, and if you swap things about, the fascia labels wil be wrong. The 'standard' AN 23-step version would probably fit, but a few people don't like it and suggest the steps are too large. It also isn't screened and might be too large a diameter (this one).

If it was mine, then assuming it isn't actually noisy I'd leave it alone. If you really want a possible upgrade, I'd stick a TKD 2500 series pot in. It's what AN now use, I believe. Ideally you'd trip over a stash of the original Noble pots, but I don't know anyone who has any they're willing to sell and the only ones I've seen on the dreaded auction site are either obvious fakes, possible fakes or look like they went down with the Titanic.

Edited by rabski
  • Like 2

I may be completely wide of the mark here, but could you convert it to run a LDR type volume ? such that you could take it out again if you should chose to sell ?

I may be completely wide of the mark here, but could you convert it to run a LDR type volume ? such that you could take it out again if you should chose to sell ?

Not sure what a LDR volume control is or how to apply it TBH

Short of major butchery, it simply isn't going to fit. Major butchery of an M3 seems a bit pointless, as the very small potential benefit of an AN stepped attenuator is likely to be offset by changing the cable runs and adding the possibility of introducing a little increased hum and noise. Not to mention that if you move it a serious distance you'll have to fork out for some AN cable, and if you swap things about, the fascia labels wil be wrong. The 'standard' AN 23-step version would probably fit, but a few people don't like it and suggest the steps are too large. It also isn't screened and might be too large a diameter (this one).
If it was mine, then assuming it isn't actually noisy I'd leave it alone. If you really want a possible upgrade, I'd stick a TKD 2500 series pot in. It's what AN now use, I believe. Ideally you'd trip over a stash of the original Noble pots, but I don't know anyone who has any they're willing to sell and the only ones I've seen on the dreaded auction site are either obvious fakes, possible fakes or look like they went down with the Titanic.

I think we’re all in agreement then. I’ll leave the M3 well alone for now and rather look for attenuators that will fit in the case. Looks more and more like I will have to fork out for 2 of the new AN 36 step mono attenuators, which will hurt my pocket, but people in the know claim that it will be a massive improvement over the current vol pot that I’m using.

I will leave this on here for a while longer until I decide to pull the trigger on something else.

So still for sale.

Thanks everyone for your contributions

C

PS. Rabski, the current vol pot is quite noisy and needs to be replaced, hence me considering other options and an upgrade at the same time

I'd phone PQ and ask him. He gives sensible advice and will know what you can reasonably do and expect, and can probably guide you as to the resale value implications? My guess is he'll tell you a like for like replacement, or whatever goes into the M3 Sig (I don't know) since that's presumably as far as he considers the amp worth fettling.

• Like 1

I'd phone PQ and ask him. He gives sensible advice and will know what you can reasonably do and expect, and can probably guide you as to the resale value implications? My guess is he'll tell you a like for like replacement, or whatever goes into the M3 Sig (I don't know) since that's presumably as far as he considers the amp worth fettling.

I’ve already been in touch with PQ and he reckons the new 36 step attenuators will be a worthwhile upgrade and good place to start

45 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Not sure what a LDR volume control is or how to apply it TBH

Light Dependant Resistor - https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/325031-chris-daleys-stereo-coffee-preamp.html

Flog the TKD and stick a Nobel AP25 in, they sound much better than TKD or AN stepped attenuators.

Flog the TKD and stick a Nobel AP25 in, they sound much better than TKD or AN stepped attenuators.

If you can find an (authentic) one to buy it is a good alternative. I’d be surprised if it beats this or AN stepped attenuators though

There are a number of people who still consider the Noble to be pretty much the best and right up with the unobtanium Penny and Giles. I have one in my preamp and I tend to agree. There is a fairly well-known dealer who used to pull the stepped attenuators from top-end Kondo and replace them with Nobles.

As per earlier comment. The problem is that Noble stopped production years ago and you'll struggle to find genuine ones.