Sign in to follow this  
Ian

Eric Clapton documentary on Beeb iplayer

Watched this last night and found it to be one of the best documentaries on a musician I've seen in a long time. Well recommended, it in part reflected the pitfalls of the human condition and dealing with tragedy and loss. It was narrated by many there at the time and best of all, no celebrity 'talking heads'. Lots going on. If any fans are reading this, please feel free to chip in with recommendations on where to start with Cream albums, or anything else related to him. I only have Slowhand and Ocean Boulevard. This TV is going to cost me !

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ian said:

one of the best documentaries on a musician

Right I'll watch it then , I'm not a fan of Clapton but do like rock docs and autobiogs .

• Like 1

I've seen it three times now and I agree. A genuine and honest portrayal that doesn't hide the bad bits. If anything, I think it rather skirts over the period of his later return to health and his last marriage.

Albums? Unlugged is a very good recording and has some superb tracks. He's always taked about JJ Cale as a major influence and Live in San Diego with the two of them is another one that I really enjoy. Everyone has their favourites (at least, if they like Clapton), personally I'm not massively keen on a lot of his solo stuff, as a great deal of it was when he was going though the bad times. Most albums have some good traks and some average ones IMO. However, for my tastes there are no bad Cream albums.

• Like 4

I enjoyed it too and found it very interesting, he has been through the ringer but is still standing. It was good seeing Ginger Baker in his early days too, a nutter but his drumming is unbelievable.

This doco sure gave me a greater respect for EC.

• Like 2

I'll watch pretty much any musician doc. on the Beeb, I don't think I've seen one I've not enjoyed, though the aforementioned celebrity talking heads can be annoying. You know it's a poorer quality doc. when they use the line 'which was to change the face of popular music forever' ! Classic cliché.

2 hours ago, rabski said:

I've seen it three times now and I agree. A genuine and honest portrayal that doesn't hide the bad bits. If anything, I think it rather skirts over the period of his later return to health and his last marriage.

Albums? Unlugged is a very good recording and has some superb tracks. He's always taked about JJ Cale as a major influence and Live in San Diego with the two of them is another one that I really enjoy. Everyone has their favourites (at least, if they like Clapton), personally I'm not massively keen on a lot of his solo stuff, as a great deal of it was when he was going though the bad times. Most albums have some good traks and some average ones IMO. However, for my tastes there are no bad Cream albums.

I've seen it a couple or three times too, it amazes me that he is still on this planet. I agree with you about the Cream stuff and Unplugged which aside from the music is a great system tester whether on vinyl or CD. His solo stuff is very mixed but I really like Reptile which has the feel and recording quality of Unplugged IMHO. I love Me & Mr Johnson and Sessions for Robert J - the live set One More Car One More rider is great too.

Like a lot of artists who have produced music over decades there are highs and lows which is understandable. I've seen him in concert probably 15 times from 1969 with Delaney & Bonnie to the Cream Reunion and great solo tours with some stellar musicians. There are moments of absolute genius in his back catalogue and although some of his solo albums wallow in mediocrity there are few other musicians who will leave a legacy like his.

• Like 5

Same as above ......it's a good docu on his life .....and yet his alcohol binge of choice was French brandy..not the cheap stuff.either.

I hadn't quite realised what a total and utter piss artist he was in the 70's and 80's. Some of the scenes where he's completely wasted on stage and offering out the audience ar one point are just so sad to see. As mentioned above, it's a miracle he's still around today.