How long have you been here?

Strider

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Yummy Tannoy's, in fact that's a nice little system there, I won't ask you to list all the speakers you've been through or amps etc etc....

Are you still over Wantage way?

Yep, still in Faringdon, in the process of moving now actually, but staying in the same town.

on the number of speakers.... ūüė¨ I think I'm up to around 60-pairs, although a lot of DIY and some duplicates....

Edited by HoopsOnToast
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, HoopsOnToast said:

Yep, still in Faringdon, in the process of moving now actually, but staying in the same town.

on the number of speakers.... ūüė¨ I think I'm up to around 60-pairs, although a lot of DIY and some duplicates....

Aha, speakers wise - You're off your rocker!:testy1:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MartinC said:

For anyone wanting a 2005 flashback I just checked what my first post was...

So it was the 19th when it launched. I didn't know such early threads still existed!

Here's what it used to look like https://web.archive.org/web/20051208053252/http://www.hifiwigwam.com/ That is the earliest page on the Wayback web archive. Not sure how many actual threads are saved in the archive to read, though. 

Edited by notaclue
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, notaclue said:

So it was the 19th when it launched. I didn't know such early threads still existed!

Here's what it used to look like https://web.archive.org/web/20051208053252/http://www.hifiwigwam.com/ That is the earliest page on the Wayback web archive. Not sure how many actual threads are saved in the archive to read, though. 

It looks like most of the early content is still here, with 2 Channel threads going back to August 2005 here for example:

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/forum/8-2-channel/page/1421/

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Looks like I joined in March 2013...visited a Scalford show the year before (I think). It's been downhill from there :D

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

9th of March 2009.

• Like 1

Apparently I joined in 2012 under my previous profile (that I've just managed to find again...) but left around 2015 I think when the system was sold. Re-joined again last year. It's a lot nicer place to be second time around I must say :flowers:

• Like 5

I think about 4 or 5 years ago, although i initially lurked, then was busy with other stuff for a year or so. Went to the last Scalford show, wowed by a big Mastersound 845 in Gabriel's room in the company of Lurch & GLB. First bake-off was Lurch's 70th birthday bash :D, hosted my first bake-off last year, and would have held another by now if not for Covid restrictions..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/06/2020 at 12:04, notaclue said:

I joined on the 25th July 2005, I thought I'd left it late. I was a refugee from the Hi Fi choice forum, James said 'over here everybody' as I think the Hi Fi Choice forum was closing?

It was the wild west in the early years, with some great characters, where are they all now? Some are still around I know on various HiFi fora.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2020 at 20:01, joolz said:

I think about 4 or 5 years ago, although i initially lurked, then was busy with other stuff for a year or so. Went to the last Scalford show, wowed by a big Mastersound 845 in Gabriel's room in the company of Lurch & GLB. First bake-off was Lurch's 70th birthday bash :D, hosted my first bake-off last year, and would have held another by now if not for Covid restrictions..

Just spotted this Julian, you are not likely to get an invite to the next BO but he may have forgiven you in time for his 65th birthday bash, in 2023!

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, PeteVid said:

I joined on the 25th July 2005, I thought I'd left it late. I was a refugee from the Hi Fi choice forum, James said 'over here everybody' as I think the Hi Fi Choice forum was closing?

It was the wild west in the early years, with some great characters, where are they all now? Some are still around I know on various HiFi fora.

Most of the cowboys decamped to the Abattoir.

• Upvote 1

I've been here since 2008, but I had a time-out when circumstances made it impossible to have a decent system and reading about the good stuff was just too depressing. Always hade the same profile though.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2020 at 20:01, joolz said:

Went to the last Scalford show, wowed by a big Mastersound 845 in Gabriel's room in the company of Lurch & GLB. First bake-off was Lurch's 70th birthday bash 

OY!!! Behave. 

Are you some form of time traveller?? I'm only 61 now and think I've weathered rather well. It was infact my 60th. 

As to when did I join and why. It was 17th September 2016, and joined on the advice a wammer whom I'd bought an Icon Audio LA4 Pre from on eBay. He hand delivered it from Merseyside to Chichester as part of a business trip and told me about the Wam. 

Why have I stayed, simple. I love the craic, the banter, the knowledge, BOs and the friendships I've made. My system has come along in leaps and bounds since hosting my 1st BO in November 2016, and like others have said, I can't wait for restrictions to be lifted so I can get back in the hosting saddle. Hopefully it will happen before November so I can host a 4th anniversary bash, (I usually host 4 BOs a year but only done 1 so far this year). 

Also did my 1st Scalford in 2017, which led me to exhibiting at the 1st & 2nd Kegworth, meeting more of you brilliant guys and having even more fun. Roll on Keggy 3.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Lurch said:

OY!!! Behave. 

Are you some form of time traveller?? I'm only 61 now and think I've weathered rather well. It was infact my 60th. 

As to when did I join and why. It was 17th September 2016, and joined on the advice a wammer whom I'd bought an Icon Audio LA4 Pre from on eBay. He hand delivered it from Merseyside to Chichester as part of a business trip and told me about the Wam. 

Why have I stayed, simple. I love the craic, the banter, the knowledge, BOs and the friendships I've made. My system has come along in leaps and bounds since hosting my 1st BO in November 2016, and like others have said, I can't wait for restrictions to be lifted so I can get back in the hosting saddle. Hopefully it will happen before November so I can host a 4th anniversary bash, (I usually host 4 BOs a year but only done 1 so far this year). 

Also did my 1st Scalford in 2017, which led me to exhibiting at the 1st & 2nd Kegworth, meeting more of you brilliant guys and having even more fun. Roll on Keggy 3.

Personally, I prefer sure Underarm Roll On for BO.

• Haha 3

April 2011 according to my profile .....6 months after resurrecting my hifi after getting divorced and finding my own place etc .  TEAC VRDS 10, MF A1000 amp & KEF 104ab speakers.  Went to my 1st Scalford in 2012 and met some wammers who are still here today. Similar to others made some great friends that we meet once a year etc and others sadly no longer part of this world....John The Mad Latvian who I can always picture sat in the Gun Room at Scalford, eating Janes Choc Fudge cake as we listened to Boellmans Toccata at prob 100dB.

yes it's changed over the years ...but then so have we and I miss some people but not others.  Hope we can get Keggie sorted for 2021 for my 10th anniversary :D

• Like 2