Leem

Digital audio upgrade?

Quick question guys (Yep I'm bored so lots of different threads!)

I currently listen to my digital music  either via Spotify or off my NAS (wav and flac) via a squeezebox touch and a dacmagic DAC into my Sugden.

As you can see my system has some aging digital components, 

Is there any point upgrading? Will I hear anything different/better?

I did plug my headphone amp direct into the DAC missing out my Sugden and it was horrible,  hence why I was wondering if a change could improve it by  given the Sugden a better signal to start with.

I'm a big proponent of 1s and 0s are 1s and 0s, but there are analogue components in there, and I suspect DAC technology may have moved on from the dacmagic

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Leem said:

Quick question guys (Yep I'm bored so lots of different threads!)

I currently listen to my digital music  either via Spotify or off my NAS (wav and flac) via a squeezebox touch and a dacmagic DAC into my Sugden.

As you can see my system has some aging digital components, 

Is there any point upgrading? Will I hear anything different/better?

I did plug my headphone amp direct into the DAC missing out my Sugden and it was horrible,  hence why I was wondering if a change could improve it by  given the Sugden a better signal to start with.

I'm a big proponent of 1s and 0s are 1s and 0s, but there are analogue components in there, and I suspect DAC technology may have moved on from the dacmagic

Change the DAC magic..and get a jolida dac..or a HRT streamer2+ dac 

Edited by Nearly bewildered
Added a comment

use the audio out from the touch into the sugden, if the sound doesn't change much look for a better dac. The touch is pretty good at 1 and 0's.

1 hour ago, dudywoxer said:

use the audio out from the touch into the sugden, if the sound doesn't change much look for a better dac. The touch is pretty good at 1 and 0's.

Good point. Why didn't I think of that !😉

How do you find sound quality compares for Spotify vs from your NAS? Assuming you prefer the latter I'd suggest getting a trial of a lossless streaming service as an upgrade to Spotify. You'd need to check what you'd be able to use with your SBT but I think at least Tidal and Qobuz are options, and possibly others too.

Posted (edited)

I'm with MartinC. 

Dear old Spotify at 320kb/s may well be the weakest link. Qobuz and Tidal, for example, sound so much clearer and more dynamic. 

Start a 30 day free trial with Qobuz and see what you think. 

Also check out the Qobuz catalogue to make sure it has the music you want. I find it good, but some find it lacking compared to Spotify. 

Edited by JANDL100