Todays shout-out...Sunbeamgls...

Perhaps most people on this forum know about this already. If not, I urge you to take a look at Sunbeamgls's hifi blog, Audiophile Musings at http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com

He writes and illustrates pictorially with so much passion and attention to detail that it's obviously a labour of love. It's an encyclopaedic reference for all things hifi with a strong affinity to Linn. 

From attending the first UK dealer Exakt demo and drinking Malbec from Morrison's with Gilad Tiefenbrun to his own recent loudspeaker build, the Nindex, it's a fascinating read.

However, if you look at the photographs in his system evolution section, it's good to see that as his hifi system has gotten better over the years, so has his taste in carpet!

Some of it is too scientific for my tiny brain, but I take comfort in knowing that he placed so much confidence in his Keilidh's that he had them for 20 years. I have had my Keilidh's for an even longer amount of time.

Another thing that's apparent, he likes a glass of beer on occasions!

I can thoroughly recommend that you take a look. Top work Sunbeam!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

+1

It was reading Audiophile Musings that pointed me towards the Kudos Super 20A speakers.  Well done that man:D

• Like 2

I've never had the courage to ask before: is the Sunbeam an Alpine?

David

• Like 1

No David, the Alpine was a different Chrysler/Talbot. I managed to write one off when a dog ran out in front of me and I braked so hard that ended upside down in a ditch. That was 1985.

The newer Alpine is a beautiful French sports car that's unfortunately beyond my financial reach.

Mike.

Edited by SnapperMike
  • Like 1

Thank you for your kind feedback SM.

On 12/06/2020 at 21:34, DavidHB said:

I've never had the courage to ask before: is the Sunbeam an Alpine?

David

Oh David, I'm not that scary am I?

Its a complicated story, the history of Sunbeam cars, Hillman, Rootes Group, Chrysler UK and Peugeot Talbot. Here's a loose potted history.

Sunbeam was its own brand of bikes, cars and motorcycles.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD-z-GollMcaIiS1H7WOO

Got consumed into the Rootes Group who also owned the Hillman and Talbot brands.

The Sunbeam Alpine was a Rootes Group sports car in the 60s(?)

ebay905346.jpg

Hillman produced the Avenger.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9Ak0vJew7QiRMtgHPDL4

Rootes Group was purchased by Chrysler and became Chrysler UK.

The Sunbeam name was resurrected as a model name in the late 70s on a small hatchback called the Chrysler Sunbeam which, mechanically, was heavily Avenger based and RWD.

Chrysler took a French Simca design (also a brand they purchased) mid-sized FWD hatch and called it the Chrysler Alpine.

Talbot-Chrysler-Alpine.jpg

Then Peugeot Citroen bought Chrysler UK and re-badged the cars as Talbot, another brand name that was part of the Roots group. So then we had Talbot Avenger, Talbot Sunbeam, Talbot Alpine amongst others.

Chrysler had decided to go rallying and worked with Lotus to put a high performance engine in the little Sunbeam and won the World championship in 1981. The Sunbeam Lotus was a Chrysler at launch but none were sold until after they were renamed as Talbot Sunbeam Lotus.

talbot-sunbeam-lotus-81wrc.jpg

My sunbeamgls tag comes from my first car which was a bit like this, but in a dark metallic red:

s-l400.jpg

As a result of the above, and my father having 2x Avengers, it was perhaps inevitable that I'd be interested in the Sunbeam Lotus rallying version. So, in 1999 I acquired another Sunbeam, about 10 years after selling the first one and still have it now:

20150912+Just+Back+From+Don+Keeley.jpg

So perhaps David, you were right not to have asked earlier!

Edited by sunbeamgls
  • Like 3

I have met Sunbeamgls many times in England, Wales and Scotland, and also here in Vancouver

I have not met a more enthusiastic audiophile, and great talent with all his audio endeavours,  and his other hobbies. He is a car enthusiast, bike enthusiast, audio enthusiast and loves building things.

He has been a great contributor to the HiFi  Wigwam and the Linn Forum over the years, and I am very glad to know him.

I wish him great success with his Audiophile Musings blog, and his Exakt Filters journey, allowing people to Exakt their non-Linn speakers

All the best, buddy 

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

Maybe, maybe not. At least, thanks to SnapperMike, we have a thread here where the question is not off topic!

David

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

Oh David, I'm not that scary am I?

Its a complicated story, the history of Sunbeam cars, Hillman, Rootes Group, Chrysler UK and Peugeot Talbot. Here's a loose potted history.

Sunbeam was its own brand of bikes, cars and motorcycles.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD-z-GollMcaIiS1H7WOO

Got consumed into the Rootes Group who also owned the Hillman and Talbot brands.

The Sunbeam Alpine was a Rootes Group sports car in the 60s(?)

ebay905346.jpg

Hillman produced the Avenger.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9Ak0vJew7QiRMtgHPDL4

Rootes Group was purchased by Chrysler and became Chrysler UK.

The Sunbeam name was resurrected as a model name in the late 70s on a small hatchback called the Chrysler Sunbeam which, mechanically, was heavily Avenger based and RWD.

Chrysler took a French Simca design (also a brand they purchased) mid-sized FWD hatch and called it the Chrysler Alpine.

Talbot-Chrysler-Alpine.jpg

Then Peugeot Citroen bought Chrysler UK and re-badged the cars as Talbot, another brand name that was part of the Roots group. So then we had Talbot Avenger, Talbot Sunbeam, Talbot Alpine amongst others.

Chrysler had decided to go rallying and worked with Lotus to put a high performance engine in the little Sunbeam and won the World championship in 1981. The Sunbeam Lotus was a Chrysler at launch but none were sold until after they were renamed as Talbot Sunbeam Lotus.

talbot-sunbeam-lotus-81wrc.jpg

My sunbeamgls tag comes from my first car which was a bit like this, but in a dark metallic red:

s-l400.jpg

As a result of the above, and my father having 2x Avengers, it was perhaps inevitable that I'd be interested in the Sunbeam Lotus rallying version. So, in 1999 I acquired another Sunbeam, about 10 years after selling the first one and still have it now:

20150912+Just+Back+From+Don+Keeley.jpg

Your current Sunbeam looks to be in stunning condition. I'm guessing that's not a daily drive?

12 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

Your current Sunbeam looks to be in stunning condition. I'm guessing that's not a daily drive?

Correct - it does between 1500 and 2000 miles per year. Only in good weather, although if we have an event to go to and the weather is bad, we still go. It is off the road Nov - March to avoid the salt. In 2018 we did 2,500 miles in a week on a trip to Italy through the alps. When it gets driven it is not treated so gently and does go to track days too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Correct - it does between 1500 and 2000 miles per year. Only in good weather, although if we have an event to go to and the weather is bad, we still go. It is off the road Nov - March to avoid the salt. In 2018 we did 2,500 miles in a week on a trip to Italy through the alps. When it gets driven it is not treated so gently and does go to track days too.

Great Cars and glad to hear you treat it appropriately! Bet its a hoot to drive :^

4 hours ago, JohnnyBuchan said:

Great Cars and glad to hear you treat it appropriately! Bet its a hoot to drive :^

There's a bit of a blog, but it doesn't get the same attention as AudiophileMusings

http://www.talbotsunbeam.co.uk/

5 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

There's a bit of a blog, but it doesn't get the same attention as AudiophileMusings

http://www.talbotsunbeam.co.uk/

Brilliant, trips like that are always awesome especially when you meet other like minded nutters along the way :). You'll have to go back for the Stelvio sometime, I had a right laugh thrashing my little Audi TT up and down it last year... 

• Like 1

Well well, what is it about Linn ownership and an affinity for Talbot Alpines. I've owned two of these , a Brirtish racing green 4 speed and a later model 5 speed with a sunroof and power steering! Sheer luxury.

The green one was bought by a  hair dressing scissor salesman who put many kms on it driving around the South Island  selling scissors to salons. He told me that he eventually sold it to  a Russian seaman who put it on his trawler and took it back to Russia!

They handled really well for a car of that vintage.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zephyr said:

Well well, what is it about Linn ownership and an affinity for Talbot Alpines. I've owned two of these , a Brirtish racing green 4 speed and a later model 5 speed with a sunroof and power steering! Sheer luxury.

The green one was bought by a  hair dressing scissor salesman who put many kms on it driving around the South Island  selling scissors to salons. He told me that he eventually sold it to  a Russian seaman who put it on his trawler and took it back to Russia!

They handled really well for a car of that vintage.

Well not me :), mine's from the Glasgow factory, just like Linn

Edited by sunbeamgls