What was your introduction to Linn?

I often wonder what it is about Linn hifi that gets people interested in the company and its products in the first place. 

Of course the LP12 is world famous, but it would be interesting to hear how Linn appeared on your radar.

There's so many people on this forum from places far away from Scotland...the US, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and Taiwan plus all across Europe. (I didn't vote for Brexit by the way).

For me, in the early 90's I was living on the southside of Glasgow, just 5 or 6 miles from the Linn factory in Eaglesham. I got a job to photograph Ivor, the boss out at the factory. Following the shoot he was kind enough to get one of his staff there to give me a guided tour of the plant. I was always a big music fan and had a Technics CD player with an Arcam amp and Wharfedale loudspeakers at that time. A few years later I photographed Ivor again on his powerful speed boat which had a bespoke Linn system installed. 

My first Linn system consisted of a Basik turntable and a Majik-I amp, both of which I still use and a pair of Index II speakers on their Kustone stands which I traded to get my current Keilidh's.

What's your story?

Mike.

Edited by SnapperMike
  • Like 1

The LP12, which I could not afford. But the Axis with a Basik was in reach and so it started. 3 generations of Linn then,  spanning maybe 30 years of customership. After all - Klimax I did not see  a way forward anymore and now I have only the DS and KK left. I wonder where it goes from here.  I think you meant to ignite a different kind of thread but for me: should I upgrade to SELEKT DSM or where can I spend my money?

My Parents lived music and I remember he got my first Phillips CD player the month the first cd players got released to add to our already technics setup.

I was living in Duisburg (1992-95) and I walked into a audio showroom in Düsseldorf, Germany. At that time I had small b&w mini speakers in my apartment. I was doing ok for a 22 year old and thought let me get a better set of speakers. I liked the sound of the keilidhs right away. I don’t even know who or what Linn was. The salesman convinced me that the majik-I (lk style) would suffice till I have more money to add a power amp. In my small room I never felt the system needed more power and that’s how my journey began.

Today when I look back.... I didn’t have the kustone bases, he’ll I didn’t even attach the spikes, basic cable for speaker wires and your standard RCA’s but I still loved that sound. Few years later I made the mistake of selling the set to a friend as I was constantly moving countries.

Then in 2017/2018 I got the urge to find some used linn speakers as I just never had the same smile when I listened to music. It was supposed to be just a set of old keilidhs...... and I’m still building my system everyday. I have enjoyed every moment of it. The smiles are back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zee9 said:

My Parents lived music and I remember he got my first Phillips CD player the month the first cd players got released to add to our already technics setup.

I was living in Duisburg (1992-95) and I walked into a audio showroom in Düsseldorf, Germany. At that time I had small b&w mini speakers in my apartment. I was doing ok for a 22 year old and thought let me get a better set of speakers. I liked the sound of the keilidhs right away. I don’t even know who or what Linn was. The salesman convinced me that the majik-I (lk style) would suffice till I have more money to add a power amp. In my small room I never felt the system needed more power and that’s how my journey began.

Today when I look back.... I didn’t have the kustone bases, he’ll I didn’t even attach the spikes, basic cable for speaker wires and your standard RCA’s but I still loved that sound. Few years later I made the mistake of selling the set to a friend as I was constantly moving countries.

Then in 2017/2018 I got the urge to find some used linn speakers as I just never had the same smile when I listened to music. It was supposed to be just a set of old keilidhs...... and I’m still building my system everyday. I have enjoyed every moment of it. The smiles are back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Zee, I've actually loved reading about your journey with Keilidh, Ninka and Kaber. 

What would have happened if that dealer in Germany hadn't suggested the obscure Scottish brand?!

Mike.

I had a Technics amp with Celestion speakers and an Akai cassette deck In the mid 70’s. My favourite HiFi magazine at the time was HiFi Answers. I first came across Linn with their adverts in this magazine, the strap line being ‘Garbage in, Garbage out’. This was for the LP12 of course which was way out of my league at the time. The LP12 did inspire me to get a turntable and I got myself a Thorens TD160. I worked as a joiner and made myself an Afromosia fluted plinth that matched the LP12. It looked amazing.
When CD’s appeared I got one of the early Philips CD players (a 104 if I remember correctly), sold my Thorens and all my vinyl and purchased as many CD’s as I could for the money I got for them. In the late 90’s I found myself with enough cash to upgrade my HiFi and bought some HiFi magazines. A review in one of the mags for a Linn Classik caught my eye and for the first time in my life, I could afford a piece of Linn kit. That was the start of my Linn journey that takes me to my current setup. Unless I win the lottery, I will remain at Akurate level which I am very happy with. I think we all dream about our ideal HiFi, and Klimax kit would be the ultimate. Knowing my luck, by the time I could afford it, I will probably be deaf.

incidentally, I still have the Classik in my second system and it has never put a foot wrong in over 20 years of almost daily use. The Philips CD player is up my loft.

Edited by Billz
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Billz said:

I had a Technics amp with Celestion speakers and an Akai cassette deck In the mid 70’s. My favourite HiFi magazine at the time was HiFi Answers. I first came across Linn with their adverts in this magazine, the strap line being ‘Garbage in, Garbage out’. This was for the LP12 of course which was way out of my league at the time. The LP12 did inspire me to get a turntable and I got myself a Thorens TD160. I worked as a joiner and made myself an Afromosia fluted plinth that matched the LP12. It looked amazing.
When CD’s appeared I got one of the early Philips CD players (a 104 if I remember correctly), sold my Thorens and all my vinyl and purchased as many CD’s as I could for the money I got for them. In the late 90’s I found myself with enough cash to upgrade my HiFi and bought some HiFi magazines. A review in one of the mags for a Linn Classik caught my eye and for the first time in my life, I could afford a piece of Linn kit. That was the start of my Linn journey that takes me to my current setup. Unless I win the lottery, I will remain at Akurate level which I am very happy with. I think we all dream about our ideal HiFi, and Klimax kit would be the ultimate. Knowing my luck, by the time I could afford it, I will probably be deaf.

Great stuff Bill. Better to be deaf than dead! Great story. Have you got any photo's of that Afromosia fluted plinth you made?

Mike.

After roaming through virtually each and every HiFi store in my university years,  I  had visited Speaker Corner at Kiel occasionally for quite some time. But the first gear I bought there - when I remember this correctly - was a pair of Tannoy D700 speakers. This was after I decided to abandon my academic career, and work in the industry instead. Of course I always looked at the LP 12, but I was unsure about it for quite some time. I liked the Oracle, Platine Verdier, and other turntables, but used a Thorens TD 126 wit SME arm. But my visits to Speakers Corner left their marks, and my components were eventually replaced by Linn gear. The LP12 arrived around 1994, to replace a Phonosophie No.3 which I bought 1990, taking a wrong turn from the Thorens. The LP12 has been upgraded since several times, and I'm looking forward to a Karousel, Klimax Radikal, and Urika 2 to come. What turned me into a Linn fanboy? I love the convenience to try out things in my own room. But it's also Linn's attitude to think outside the box. And maybe very deep down in my very soul, a love for Scotland, and the Scots.

My only left-over pre-Linn component is a Madrigal Proceed CD player, which has not been used since the purchase of my KRDSM, but has not been traded either for some reason. Maybe I should dig out its original box (somewhere under the roof) and sell it off? At least when I bundle it with a bottle of Whisky, it should find a buyer. B|

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

After roaming through virtually each and every HiFi store in my university years,  I  had visited Speaker Corner at Kiel occasionally for quite some time. But the first gear I bought there - when I remember this correctly was a pair of Tannoy D700 speakers. This was after I decided to abandon my academic career, and work in the industry instead. Of course I always looked at the LP 12, but I was unsure about it for quite some time. I liked the Oracle, Platine Verdier, and other turntables, but used a Thorens TD 126 wit SME arm. But my visits to Speakers Corner left their marks, and my components were eventually replaced by Linn gear. The LP12 arrived around 1994, to replace a Phonosophie which I bought 1990, taking a wrong turn from the Thorens. It has been upgraded since several times. What turned me into a Linn fanboy? I love the convenience to try out things in my own room. But it's also their attitude to think outside the box. My only pre-Linn component ieft is a Madrigal CD player, which has not been used since the purchase of my KRDSM, but has not been traded either for some reason. Maybe I should dig out its original box (somewhere under the roof) and sell it off?

Very interesting TMCW's. Is Speaker Corner in Kiel still in existence? Is Kiel still home?

Mike.

1 minute ago, SnapperMike said:

Very interesting TMCW's. Is Speaker Corner in Kiel still in existence? Is Kiel still home?

Mike.

Speakers Corner is still my trusted dealer. I moved a good hours drive away, and live close to Lübeck now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

Speakers Corner is still my trusted dealer. I moved a good hours drive away, and live close to Lübeck now.

Thanks, you Linn Fanboy! :D

Mike.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

Great stuff Bill. Better to be deaf than dead! Great story. Have you got any photo's of that Afromosia fluted plinth you made?

Mike.

There might be some prints somewhere Mike in one of our photo albums, but the HiFi will be in the background as I don’t recall ever taking a pic of my actual HiFi. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billz said:

There might be some prints somewhere Mike in one of our photo albums, but the HiFi will be in the background as I don’t recall ever taking a pic of my actual HiFi. 

No worries Bill. You mentioned that you saw some of those old Linn adverts back in the day? They wouldn't get passed the advertising sensors these days!

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/p/linn-brochures.html

Mike.

Edited by SnapperMike

My first visit to my present dealer was during my university studies together with a friend. I remember a lot of IKEA Lack tables and various turntables. At that time I neither had the need nor the money for new equipment and was quite happy with my Denon CD player, NAD 3020 and Rega speakers. Some 20 (!) years later the CD player started to deteriorate; frequently skipping, sometimes not play the first track,... and I started ponder about some new gear. My colleagues talked me into streaming and the majority was using Linn. My first box was the MDSM, and I was hooked. The upgradeitis is at the moment under control and I think any move from the present status will involve a lot of money. Hence I’m happy :)

• Like 1