What was your introduction to Linn?

16 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

FedEx are reliable - not only to get Julia Roberts out of town

I've seen Pretty Woman but not Runaway Bride!

3 hours ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

I recently changed to Blue Jeans Cat 6a Cable myself, and a few other people on the forum here are using them as well. https://www.bluejeanscable.com/

They are reasonably priced and come with individual Fluke Tester measurement protocolls. Looks like BJC are really honest people, as in: not selling snake-oil. The handling worked like a charm. Customs was already taken care of (included in my payment). I chose the FedEx delivery and received my cables after a week or so. FedEx are reliable - not only to get Julia Roberts out of town :D

Same experience here, simple quick no nonsense good ole American customer service... got mine in 5 days!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

Wow, that's some upgrade story Paul. I bet the sales staff at HiFi Centre love seeing you step into the shop! 

Thanks Mike,

The owner of HiFi Centre has been hoping that I win the lottery, as he knows that his shop will be my first visit after the lottery win

• Like 2

Back to the OP, this is a long foray into the past, but bear with me. In 1985 I purchased my first HI-Fi system. After some back and forth with components, I settled on B&O 5000 turntable, tape deck and CD player. I used a Harmon Kardon PM665 am plus the matching FM Tuner. I selected a pair of B&W DM220i speakers for they got a solid review in Gramophone magazine. I was in bliss until several months later when I met a new friend, Patrice. He was originally from London, England, and his father was a diplomat; so Patrice had all kinds of cash to throw at his music. He had, as I recall Linn Kans, LP12 and Linn amps, but I don't recall which ones. I will never forget how much better his system sounded than mine; and I could have easily had it for it cost about the same as what I had just purchased a few months earlier. It would have been nice had we met sooner, or I purchased later.

Through him, I became friends with Gary Dilliott of BetterMusic, and I would go to his shop to clean records and share music. When it was financially available around 1998, I made my first foray into Linn equipment: Linn Genki CD player, Linn Kolektor Pre-amp and Keilildh speakers. Eventually the HK PM665 was replaced with LK100s taking all to Aktiv. Since then, it has been a crazy almost all-Linn journey.

Edited by Eldarboy
  • Like 5

My story took me half way around the world. About 20 years ago I got a chance to hear a bunch of equipment, including Linn's CD12. It was magnificent when I heard it but $20k was hard to swallow - I couldn't, even if I wanted to.

10 years later, my job took me to Hong Kong, where my office was in the middle of 5-6 different hi-fi shops carrying everything under the sun. At that time I got a chance to listen to Klimax DS, which was then recently introduced. I was blown away after pitting it next to the top players from dCS, Esoteric, EMM Labs, Berkley Audio, Naim, Ayre, Playback Designs and bunch of others. The price ..... yeah, still $20k for the unit. I could afford it at the time but damn it would be a stretch.

Fast forward a couple of years, now I have gone to the stores often enough that the owners all know me and we were sort of friends. One day while I was admiring the DS/1, which was then just released, I was complaining how expensive the Klimax DS is and it would be financially irresponsible for me to buy one. He said, oh one of my customers upgraded his DS/0 to the new DS/1 and he got his old DS/0 back in a plain box. Not much of a looker but it's essentially the same thing. I asked how much the customer paid for the upgrade and the box, he said a little over US$4000. He then said if I wanted the box, he could speak to this customer to see if he wants to sell and recoup his upgrade cost. 

And the rest is history...

• Like 4

My dad was always in to HiFi (classical buff). The earliest I remember was a Leak kit system which he built teh cabinet for (integrated receiver, turntable, speakers), then various integrated amps and tape decks (classical buffs mostly shifted to cassettes pretty quick), he always wanted a Nakamichi, but we never had the money.

When I left home as a student I bought a cheap Marantz deck, followed by a Yamaha integrated amp and Wharfedale Delta 70 speakers. When I had my first proper paying job (post-doc in York in the late 90's), I rewarded myself with a Rega Planar 3 (as it was at the time). Whilst they were boxing it up etc. they left me to play with the LP12/Linn set-up they had in the room (Sound Organisation in York). This was cruel as I realised what a gulf existed between the deck I had just blown all my money on and the LP12, which I couldn't imagine ever being able to afford.

A couple of years later I wanted to replace my Yamaha amp and went back there, eventually coming away with a used LK style Majik-I, which I still have and use (now second system with TV, including those old Delta 70s) and which was a massive jump in performance for me.

Followed with a whole pile of used Linn gear, including, eventually, a used LP12 and the odd new box.

• Like 2

I got my active speakers in 1985 and I was then looking for a "decent" preamplifier to go with them. In 1990 the local Linn dealer lent me a LK1 and for vinyl it was insanely better than anything I have tried so far (and mostly after too) so it was a no-brainer. First thereafter, in 1992, I got myself a Basik LP12 with a cheap Grado MM. Major upgrades have been Cirkus, Lingo, T-kable and Klyde, otherwise not much have changed.  Yes, I am very reluctant to make changes, especially since I have been very satisfied with the system. Now, its mostly a restoration project.

• Like 2

The first Linn product I ever listened to was a pair of original Index speakers. It was at Ness Audio in Inverness in the early eighties and I thought they sounded absolutely dreadful!. Then in the mid eighties I demoed an LP12 with LVX vs an Original Pink Triangle at Holburn Hifi in Aberdeen. I ended up buying the Pink Triangle, but I did think highly of the LP12. Then in the late nineties I demoed a full Linn system (I think it was LP12/Ekos/Arkiv, Kairn, Klout, Keilidhs) at Stereo Stereo in Glasgow. It was an outstanding demo, which I remember vividly to this day. My chin almost hit the floor listening to the first side of Mind Bomb by The The. That demo is what started me on my journey with Linn.

Edited by teuchter85
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, teuchter85 said:

The first Linn product I ever listened to was a pair of original Index speakers. It was at Ness Audio in Inverness in the early eighties and I thought they sounded absolutely dreadful!. Then in the mid eighties I demoed an LP12 with LVX vs an Original Pink Triangle at Holburn Hifi in Aberdeen. I ended up buying the Pink Triangle, but I did think highly of the LP12. Then in the late nineties I demoed a full Linn system (I think it was LP12/Ekos/Arkiv, Kairn, Klout, Keilidhs) at Stereo Stereo in Glasgow. It was an outstanding demo, which I remember vividly to this day. My chin almost hit the floor listening to the first side of Mind Bomb by The The. That demo is what started me on my journey with Linn.

Very interesting teuchter85. Are you still listening to your Linn? If so, maybe complete your profile so we can see?

Are you still in Glasgow? I bought my current Linn system from Stereo Stereo in the mid 90's. 

Mike. 

Edited by SnapperMike

Hi Mike,

Yes, I listen to Linn almost every day. I split my time between two locations, and am fortunate enough to have a Linn system at each place. My "big" Linn system, which I have added to my profile, and my "small" Linn system comprised of Majik DS, Unidisk SC, Majik 6100, Aktiv Keilidhs, and Sizmik 10.25 (all items I held on to when upgrading over the years). I'm originally from the north of Scotland. I lived in Glasgow for about 9 years but moved to the US back in 2001. Stereo Stereo was a great store and I really miss having a dealer close by. I remember popping in one grey and wet Wednesday for a quick look around, and they treated me to a cup of tea and full demo of the recently introduced Genki and Ikemi CD players. I could not afford to buy either one, but they were happy to put them through their paces. It was also the only time I ever got to hear a CD12 which was definitely a very special piece of equipment.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, teuchter85 said:

The first Linn product I ever listened to was a pair of original Index speakers. It was at Ness Audio in Inverness in the early eighties and I thought they sounded absolutely dreadful!

Ness Audio... early 80s... my first encounter of Linn products too in the form of LP12/Naim/Isobariks :D

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, teuchter85 said:

Hi Mike,

Yes, I listen to Linn almost every day. I split my time between two locations, and am fortunate enough to have a Linn system at each place. My "big" Linn system, which I have added to my profile, and my "small" Linn system comprised of Majik DS, Unidisk SC, Majik 6100, Aktiv Keilidhs, and Sizmik 10.25 (all items I held on to when upgrading over the years). I'm originally from the north of Scotland. I lived in Glasgow for about 9 years but moved to the US back in 2001. Stereo Stereo was a great store and I really miss having a dealer close by. I remember popping in one grey and wet Wednesday for a quick look around, and they treated me to a cup of tea and full demo of the recently introduced Genki and Ikemi CD players. I could not afford to buy either one, but they were happy to put them through their paces. It was also the only time I ever got to hear a CD12 which was definitely a very special piece of equipment.

Very interesting. Both your two Linn systems out-class my current one. But, I'm about to upgrade after 25 years...once the shops here in Scotland re-open! I don't know if you remember Ian Pirie? He worked at Stereo Stereo and sold me my current Linn system in the mid 90's. He now works at Loud & Clear in Glasgow where I shall be going to perform some demo's shortly. http://loud-clear.co.uk/glasgow/meet-the-team/

Mike.

• Like 1

Yes, I remember Ian. Very knowledgeable and a good salesman!. IIRC I went in one time just to have a general discussion about home cinema and he said "You are a £2000 level guy...come and have a listen to this". It was a TAG McLaren AV32R pre/pro. I don't think I bought it there and then, but shortly afterwards I traded in my Linn Kairn and bought the AV32R. I was very happy with it, but eventually it developed a serious fault and I replaced it with a Unidisk SC. I still have a soft spot for the Kairn though. One of my all time favorite Linn products.

• Like 1

First Linn was a Linn Axis from Doug Brady HiFi which I prefered on dem to a Rega Planar 3. It was used with a Naim Nait (I would say MK1 but there was only one type of Nait when I bought it as I am OLD!) and a pair of Royd A7 speakers. They produced beautiful music. Bought when I was about 16. I upgraded to an LP12 while I was at University, second hand from Bristol HiFi in Brum.

CJ

• Like 2