What was your introduction to Linn?

Back in 1982 opened a "shop" (in town, but still 25km away) with a Linn LP12 on display. A friend of mine wanted to hear that stunning new table and so we made a bicycle tour to see and hear whats all the fuss is about.

We found the "shop" in a small street where only tiny houses came to eye... no shop or anything like that. After a few minutes we decided to ring the doorbell and ask if somebody could help us to find that "store"? In fact, we just arrived there... it was a very small house where one room was kinda dark and empty,but  wherein a chain of LP12-Nait1-Kan was installed.

Looking at the speakers, we were not so impressed (at that time there was a pair of EV Sentry III blocking the stairs to the upper part, these were looking like what we expected)

But then the Boogie starts - We had an exceptional experience with this tiny pair of Kans! We had a "single speaker demo", after the tv was removed from the room. Also very impressed by awful music (Ludwig Hirsch - Grosser, schwarzer Vogel) but unheard credibility of voices.
 My friend made his order the next day (I was still in school and there was no chance in the near future for me) and still today he is using his LP12-Nait1-Kan Stereo as his main system! (another mate of mine bought that same system a year and a half later, he was mightily impressed after a long night of music at our friends place, and uses that system also, at least: again, as his only system.)

The sting seems to have gotten in my gut, because I used these 38 years to build up a kinda Klimax level system... which my mates like, too ;-)

Stunning stuff (last part so far: Karousel)

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, kampak said:

We found the "shop" in a small street where only tiny houses came to eye... no shop or anything like that. After a few minutes we decided to ring the doorbell and ask if somebody could help us to find that "store"? In fact, we just arrived there... it was a very small house where one room was kinda dark and empty

Just to think...if you had visited alone you may not have had the courage to enter that 'shop'. And there may not have been any future relationship with Linn. :(

Edited by SnapperMike
  • Like 1

@kampak Awesome story! It's 10 am here on the west coast of North America, and you have put a big smile on my face that I will wear the rest of the day. I had an LP12, Nait 2, and Kan II system way back. I, of course, still have the LP12, like yours, highly modified. But it was such a musical system. I could see myself when I was young doing what you did, cycling 50 km with a friend to hear a hifi system. :)

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

Just to think...if you had visited alone you may not have had the courage to enter that 'shop'. And there may not have been any relationship with Linn. :(

That is chaos theory in action. The way to harness the power of chaos theory is to say "yes" to everything. You never know where it will lead, and the effects are magnified over time. A bike ride with a friend leads to a Klimax LP12 decades later.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, akamatsu said:

The way to harness the power of chaos theory is to say "yes" to everything

I'll remember that on my next visit to Amsterdam!

• Haha 2

Just now, SnapperMike said:

I'll remember that on my next visit to Amsterdam!

Absolutely! But use your good judgement.

• Haha 1

Must have been mid/late 80's when in my teens.  I had worked up to a classic Dual CS505-2 with NAD 3020A and Celestion Ditton 110 speakers and was reading too many flat earth mags of the time. So the LP12 was a holy grail, out of my reach then. 

Ended up in ProMusica in Colchester where Chris (still see him selling vinyl at the shows) sold me an Axis Basik Plus K9.....  slippery slope,. Some time later the NAD got replaced by a Incha Tech Claymore, also from ProMusica.  The some second grade Celestion SL6S speakers out the factory in Ipswich.    I still have the Claymore, now mod'd by it's creator Colin Wonfor and about a year ago bough a pair SL6Si again. 

Linn journey continued but now from The StereoShop in Ipswich,  where the Basik plus got replaced by an original Akito.  Then followed an LP12 base unit with Valhalla for the Akito, the Bask plus back on the Axis and sold on.  

The Claymore got passed to my Dad and I bought an early Kairn and exdem 280/Spark.    Not sure where from but I had now EPOS14 speakers.  The LP12 grew till it reached Cirkus/Lingo/Ekos2/Troika level. 

I ended up helping out in the StereoShop on Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings,. for free or "staff discount".  Sadly Richard decide to shut up shop, so as a parting offer I was able to buy my first CDP at trade price, along with the Ekos2, also "trade".   The CDP was of coarse a Karik single box player.  Still have both of them.

From there I worked my way through the AV stuff, 5103, Kinos, Unidisk all used and exdem by then from random places.   Fitted the house out myself with 4 Knekt rooms,  collected up Tukan, Keilidh, Kaber and Keltik to tryout. 

It was when much later, must be 2008, when I went to live and work in Italy for a couple of years  I jumped on the streaming wagon rather than transport my CD collection over. So I bought one of the first Akurate DS's from Rayleigh Hi-Fi Colchester. The streaming journey began to it's ...er "Klimax"  :D  

Some years after moving back to the UK I stood at the digital/analogue cross roads...  My ageing LP12 was being shown up by the KDS, should I sell it,  swap it or upgrade it. 

As my previous dealers had gone I had hooked up with Peter Swain, in the Listen Inn era for servicing, so when it came to it I paid a visit to his "new" shop Cymbiosis in the centre of Leicester.   As I've not quite understood some peoples approach to the LP12,  selling it because there was always an upgrade or feeling compelled to upgrade and blaming Linn...  I didn't throw the baby out with the bath water but stuck with and over a period of time upgrade it to Klimax level. 

I'm not a box swapper type, more a system grower and developer over time.  Linn might not be the best, but to me it seemed more sense and cost effective to stick with a solution and develop it rather then chop and change brands in a lucky dip approach. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 9designs said:

Linn might not be the best

OK 9designs, you're banned! :D

Very interesting. Do you still play CD's since you've kept your Karik?

It would be great to still get Linn gear at trade prices wouldn't it!

• Haha 1

It’s plugged into my ADSM via an optical cable  😀..... so it now has Katalyst upgrade 😎

• Like 1

Personally, I can't ever contemplate playing CD's ever again now that I've discovered streaming. Whether that be from a NAS or externally via a streaming service.

Saying that, I would never sell my Mimik CD player. It's been through so much with me in the last 25 years that I feel as though we are forever one!

Mike.

Edited by SnapperMike