JMcQueen

Amp/Receiver for PMC Speakers

Posted (edited)

I'm planning on building a 5.1 system around PMC speakers. Initially, It'll be a 2.0 system with Twenty5 24 and then I intend to add the additional speakers as they become available used. I'm looking for a unit that will allow this expansion as my system goes and ideally a single box AVR solution rather than multiple separates. What works well with the PMC's in a AV and music situation? 

Edited by JMcQueen

Posted (edited)

I was going to recommend Arcam's Class G AVR, but I see it's been discontinued.

The only way to get this sound now, is with a Processor(AV40)/Power (PA720)....though this is pretty costly @£6245.

Edit. I'm wrong....they do the AVR 30 @£5k - still not cheap.

Edited by CnoEvil

Is Arcam a good match for the PMC? 5k is a little more than I wanted to pay (probably more in the 3k region) but I could always keep an eye out for ex-demo or used. Most people seem to recommend Bryston for PMC and I was looking at a used 9B3 5 channel but would also then need a processor so cost would probably work out somewhat the same. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JMcQueen said:

Is Arcam a good match for the PMC? 

IMO It is  - so all I can say, is try and have a dem.

Keep an eye out for the recently discontinued AVR 850.

Edit. This is new and getting close to your budget (Has Dirac Live): https://homeavdirect.co.uk/arcam-avr850-fmj-series-imax-enhanced-av-receiver

Edited by CnoEvil

On 15/06/2020 at 12:22, JMcQueen said:

I'm planning on building a 5.1 system around PMC speakers. Initially, It'll be a 2.0 system with Twenty5 24 and then I intend to add the additional speakers as they become available used. I'm looking for a unit that will allow this expansion as my system goes and ideally a single box AVR solution rather than multiple separates. What works well with the PMC's in a AV and music situation? 

Yamaha receivers work well with the newer PMCs. Heard one with Twenty 23 at a dealers a few years ago. Quite impressive.

I would go with something on the smoother side for PMC if you're going to listen to a lot of music. Marantz springs to mind. I find Bryston too hard for PMC personally. 

I would also steer clear of PMCs sub and get a proper one.

1 hour ago, CnoEvil said:

Keep an eye out for the recently discontinued AVR 850.

This gets rave reviews and I bought one on the basis of that and found it to be a dreadful product. The sound was rather soft for my liking, it had all sorts of quirks trying to latch on to the right surround format. Many of these may have been addressed in FW updates since I suppose but they are applied using a USB stick at the back which is a bit of a nuisance. The biggest issue however was that the HDMI passthrough softened the picture on my OLED. It has Dirac though, which is nice.

Posted (edited)
On 16/06/2020 at 18:30, Warszawa said:

This gets rave reviews and I bought one on the basis of that and found it to be a dreadful product. The sound was rather soft for my liking, it had all sorts of quirks trying to latch on to the right surround format. Many of these may have been addressed in FW updates since I suppose but they are applied using a USB stick at the back which is a bit of a nuisance. The biggest issue however was that the HDMI passthrough softened the picture on my OLED. It has Dirac though, which is nice.

I have the AVR600, which had all the bugs reported and was back to the factory on at least 3 occasions - but I so liked how it sounded, especially for 2 channel, that I stuck with it. In fact it was the only AVR that I liked for music - which included the Pioneer Susano and expensive Anthems.

Finally, with the Passthrough and 3D board, it settled down (touch wood).

The 850 was supposed to be much more bug free and even better sounding.

I like a "Hi-Fi" sounding product for AV, which might make it a little soft for some - but it is better for 2 channel than any other brand that I heard...and it is this aspect that makes it attractive for those using the same product for AV and 2 Channel use. It is on this aspect that the AV Forums review said:

"However, every now and then an AV receiver comes along that is capable of producing a performance with stereo that would make you question the need for a two-channel amplifier even if listening to music was your primary interest. The Arcam AVR850 is just such an AV receiver with an attention to two-channel performance that will please even the most demanding audiophile".

Edited by CnoEvil

Hi 

I've had a PMC 5.1 set up for a long time now, with a good few different configurations of amp hardware.

There are many different brands of amps that are popular with different groups of PMC user - for example Bryston, Cyrus, Naim, NORD, Rega - all of which work very well in their own way.

My advice would be to forget trying to find an all-in-one AV receiver that's  good for music and movies because the choice is quite limited and there's a good chance you'll end up disappointed anyway.  I would say use a decent stereo amp with an HT bypass, and run the pre-outs from an AV receiver through that.

David.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2020 at 18:30, Warszawa said:

I would also steer clear of PMCs sub and get a proper one.

What he said.

I use a BK sub, which are good value for money and work seamlessly with PMCs

I liked how it sounded, especially for 2 channel, that I stuck with it. In fact it was the only AVR that I liked for music - which included the Pioneer Susano and expensive Anthems

If you have the coin, or quid as you say in the UK, I would take a long hard look at the the Bryston 875HT.  I am listening to my 4BSST2 with PMC Twenty23 as I type this, Tool inoculum to be exact, sounds amazing!  Why, you ask?  Well, other than Bryston amps are exceptionally well built, unheard of 20 year warranty, and the cubed new series is even better than what I have...take a look at the flexibility of 8 channels provides, bridgeable, balanced or single ended, multiple configurations.  You will not outgrow this amp, whatever you do, I wouldn't buy an all in one HT receiver...yikes!

Great speakers you have to start with, hard to go wrong with PMC Twenty5 series.

Have fun, few things in life are better than shopping for a new amplifier!

Edited by JazzyG