oldius

Recommend an album thread

Posted (edited)

Go on, recommend an album but tell us a little about it. Thanks to @BeeRay for the suggestion. I'll start off with:

Jono McCleery - Pagodes Live - awesome live recording of just a man and his guitar. A great introduction to a Jon Martyn influenced Fink collaborator. His studio stuff blends Nick Drake style folk with jazz, dub and electronica elements.

Here's one track for an idea: 

Edited by oldius
  • Like 6

OK, I'll suggest I Am Kloot frontman, song writer etc. John Bramwell.

I love I Am Kloot but solo John Bramwell is just a wonderful couple of hours well spent. Great songs, and tremendous onstage chemistry and banter. With that in mind can I recommend his Live At The Trades album. Here's a YouTube clip of the man..

• Like 5

51EoZvnFuZL._AC_.jpg

You simply can't beat a little Isicathamiya!  :geek:

I first came across them in a documentary that Paul Simon made on Graceland.....so that would be around 1986 then :S   There is something both primeval and uplifting about their singing.

• Like 4

Tiki Taane's first solo album from 2007 after he left Salmonella Dub. This is in my top 5 albums of the noughties, absolutley superb and varied album that I cannot recommend highly enough. Its a mix of electronica, drum n bass, hip hop, Maori chanting and reggae. A very ambitous album but Tiki has both the voice and talent to pull it off.

61heBDWZIJL._AC_.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mondie said:

Tiki Taane's first solo album from 2007 after he left Salmonella Dub. This is in my top 5 albums of the noughties, absolutley superb and varied album that I cannot recommend highly enough. Its a mix of electronica, drum n bass, hip hop, Maori chanting and reggae. A very ambitous album but Tiki has both the voice and talent to pull it off.

61heBDWZIJL._AC_.jpg

On the shortlist for today because of your description. Thank you.

• Like 1

If you want an old under the Radar relatively unknown Album (that was played as background music at early 70's Led Zep live Shows). Try this

Kahvas Jute - Wide Open - was re-release on CD on few years ago. Original Vinyls sell for $500 plus.

R-3302186-1527759090-6110.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tom Misch - Geography

I've recommerecommended few times on various streams. A highly talented musician/singer with a very unique style. 

I've liked him since he came out a few years ago and was totally unknown. So much so, I bought tix for a festival, just because he was playing.

If you like this one, also try his earlier album Beat Tape 2.

• Like 2

Arctic Lake - What you may find (EP)

This band are pretty unknown. Very relaxing ambient music and her voice is just staggering. Particularly live, where I took my mum along and she cried (which she never does).

I spoke to them after the gig and they were planning to release an album this year. Let's hope the lockdown and loss of gig income doesn't stop them trying to make it.

The talent on display is ridiculous. I cannot believe they've not got huge.

• Like 3

Super Wammer
46 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

Arctic Lake - What you may find (EP)

This band are pretty unknown. Very relaxing ambient music and her voice is just staggering. Particularly live, where I took my mum along and she cried (which she never does).

I spoke to them after the gig and they were planning to release an album this year. Let's hope the lockdown and loss of gig income doesn't stop them trying to make it.

The talent on display is ridiculous. I cannot believe they've not got huge.

Listening to this now, beautiful.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Listening to this now, beautiful.

And that is what this hobby is all about - GREAT!

• Like 2

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, oldius said:

And that is what this hobby is all about - GREAT!

Onto your choice now, Pagodes live, also sounding very promising, and another great recording 😊

Edited by greybeard
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Onto your choice now, Pagodes live, also sounding very promising, and another great recording 😊

It is a great 'in the audience' recording. He is a talent but hardly known. I prefer his studio albums, especially 'There Is' and 'Pagodes' but this is a super introduction. His debut, Darkest Light, smacks of the best of Nick Drake, IMO.

Edited by oldius
  • Upvote 1

I really liked the Tiki album; it reminded me of Fat Freddy's Drop in many places.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This is a bit of a convoluted way of getting to my recommendation...

Years ago, when getting interested in AV, this video was part of a dem, to show what 5 channel could do and brought the Blue Man Group onto my radar. "The Complex" sounds brilliant on DVD Audio - but who can play that now (except me, with an Arcam DV79).

Nb. Video Below is the wrong one :doh:  Please see one at bottom!

A while later, we saw them live at Universal Studios - and they were outstanding and something the whole family enjoyed. Many of the tracks we heard, are on the CD shown below. For those who haven't seen them, they play an amazing array of unique percussive instruments. My favourite track is PVC IV - turn it up and enjoy.

Audio (album) - Wikipedia

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1