Sign in to follow this  
Klassik

Commercials - The good and the bad

I reckon most here at the Wigwam aren't too familiar with American TV.  Thus, here are some great commercials and here are some not so great commercials. 

First, let me start by presenting a commercial with some audio equipment in it.  It's not good audio equipment, but that's not the point.  This is a 1987 commercial for the former Highland Appliance and Electronics chain here in the US.  The "50 watts per channel, babycakes" line is a real Klassik.  Try using it the next time you want some action.  :shaggers:

Here is a 1976 commercial for the defunct Korvettes discount store.  We didn't have a Korvettes here in Houston, but they were famous for their record department and their stereo room back in the 1970s where they sold some equipment that you'd never expect to see at a discount store.  Anyway, here is Julie Newmar using her famous legs to sell some Quaker State motor oil and Presto burger makers.  You probably didn't want a Presto burger maker before, but I'm sure you'll want one after seeing this.  xD

Here's another great commercial from the early 1990s.  This one features some actors you all may be familiar with.  It's for Grey Poupon Dijon mustard.  I don't know what the British think about this, but we loved the commercial. 

Alright, these next two John Cleese commercials from the 1980s are not from the US.  However, Compaq Computer was a local company to me.  They were headquartered just a few minutes up the road.  The slam on Apple users is a real gem.  xD

Now this one is not a real commercial.  It's from Crazy People, the Dudley Moore movie.  It's too good to not include here though.  "Sony: Because Caucasians Are Just Too Damn Tall."  :rofl:

Ok, now some bad stuff.  Local commercials here in the US can be really, really bad.  Here are two examples.  This first one is for the former Weiner's clothing store chain that was once popular here in Houston.  Their name was a big target for jokes.  I suppose as they were failing, they decided to try one big attempt at laughing at themselves to try to save the company.  It didn't work.  xD

I'm guessing Weinerman wouldn't be allowed to make Back to School ads these days.  :o

Now for the really, really bad.  Here is a late 1980s/early 1990s commercial for a New Orleans furniture store.  Oh dear.  :D

So what really good and really bad commercials can you remember?  They can be TV ads, print ads, or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, Fanny has a somewhat different meaning here in the US than it does in the UK.  Do you guys have fanny packs in the UK like we do?  :D  What about Fanny Farmer candies?

Items similar to Fanny Farmer Candy Box, Victorian Couple, Excellent Condition on Etsy
On the topic of candies and commercials, was this ever popular in the UK?  xD

Edited by Klassik
  • Haha 1

• Like 1

^ Ha, that commercial (rightly, IMO) making fun of the real Vegemite iSnack 2.0 product reminds me of the Crystal Gravy parody commercial Saturday Night Live here in the US did of the Crystal Pepsi marketing campaign about 30 years ago.  Pepsi spent a lot of money to try to make Crystal Pepsi a success, but it was a big flop. 

Interestingly enough, Coca-Cola's chief marketing officer has admitted in more recent times that Coca-Cola intentionally created an unpopular clear diet soda under their less-popular Tab brand in the attempt to confuse customers into thinking that Crystal Pepsi was a sugar-free drink since I suppose they knew customers didn't want a sugar-free drink.  Sneaky, sneaky.  It may have worked though.  xD

According to Coca-Cola's chief marketing officer, Sergio Zyman, Tab Clear was an intentional "kamikaze" effort to create an unpopular beverage that was positioned as an analogue of Crystal Pepsi in order to "kill both in the process". The "born to die" strategy included using the poor-performing Tab brand rather than Coke, labeling the product as a "sugar free" diet drink to confuse consumers into thinking Crystal Pepsi had no sugar, and marketing the product as if it were "medicinal". Zyman said "Pepsi spent an enormous amount of money on the brand and, regardless, we killed it. Both of them were dead within six months."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Pepsi

Anyway, here is the real Crystal Pepsi ad which was unavoidable here in the US in around 1993:

And here is Crystal Gravy xD :

• Like 1

What the bloody hell is this?  Some sort of sham Lyle Lovett doing ads for a British hardware store called Texas Homecare?  :dunno:

That ad reminds me of this.  ;)

It looks like 'Texas' went out of business anyway.  xD

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Klassik said:

What the bloody hell is this?  Some sort of sham Lyle Lovett doing ads for a British hardware store called Texas Homecare?  :dunno:

That ad reminds me of this.  ;)

It looks like 'Texas' went out of business anyway.  xD

Taken over by Sainsburys.