Sign in to follow this  
Rayymondo

The Lost World of the LP The Essay Radio 3

David Hepworth discusses the golden age, and recent resurgence, of vinyl records.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001d34

Has anyone else been listening to this series of short essays by David Hepworth about records? It's been on at 10.45 Mon to Fri (the last one being this evening)?

I particularly enjoyed the one on Wednesday about the Hifi system in the home, and last nights about album covers. Well worth a listen on iplayer or sounds or whatever it is that people listen to things on....

• Like 3

I listened to these on catch-up after reading your post, thanks for the nod, they were well worth listening too.

• Like 1

I found the last one interesting too (Friday night) talking about the star ratings used in record reviews and how and why we shouldn't take much notice of them!

Thought this was very transferable to Hifi reviews :/

Glad you found it interesting, I listen most evenings.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Rayymondo said:

I found the last one interesting too (Friday night) talking about the star ratings used in record reviews and how and why we shouldn't take much notice of them!

Thought this was very transferable to Hifi reviews :/

Glad you found it interesting, I listen most evenings.

I heard that one.  I think he reckoned Q magazine started the 5 star ratings in 1986, but I’d have thought perhaps the Consumers Association’s Which? magazine maybe used it before then.  Maybe they were blobs not stars though?!

Thought it was interesting how he said reviews for darker more complex recordings generally got better reviews as was more interesting  to right about than sunny happy music, more for the reviewer to get their teeth into and show off their writing skills. Also funny how he said reviewers were often trying to impress each other rather than the general reader ...

I'm playing catch-up on these, only up to episode 2 so far, but they are a really interesting listen. Thanks for posting the link.

• Like 1