Sign in to follow this  
Baggawire

Huey Morgan's Latin Music Adventure BBC4

Presented by Fun Lovin' Criminals front man Huey Morgan is this three part documentary starting this Friday 3rd July at 9.30pm on BBC4 . Brazil is first up then continues with Cuba (10th July) and Puerto Rico (17th July). It's then followed by an "In Session with" programme with an artist/group from the particular country of that night. I would particularly recommend catching the female singer Dayme Arocena on 10th July who's one of the best musical things to come out of Cuba since the Buena Vista Social Club. 

• Like 2

Super Wammer

@BaggawireThank you for the heads up on this I will put the series on record just in case I forget . By the way love your avatar I have a couple of his albums very strange but also very good.

On 27/06/2020 at 11:29, bencat said:

@BaggawireThank you for the heads up on this I will put the series on record just in case I forget . By the way love your avatar I have a couple of his albums very strange but also very good.

William Onyeabor is certainly unique and sadly no longer with us having died in 2017. This half-hour documentary is a great introduction to his oeuvre.

Super Wammer

Watched the first of these last night and enjoyed the ride but was a little dissapointed by the showcase a little too safe and mainstream for me . I like Bossa Nova lots but it was just a single movement  mainly middle class and polite is this why it gets featured so much over other Brazil genres ?

One thing was obvious this subject was far too big for Huey to cover anyhting but a brief skim . Liked Karol Conka , Bahiasystem but had some trouble finding any CD for them but sorted now . Roll on next weeks Puerto Rico not an area I know too much about except for the New York Salsa scene Chilean Salsa.

Super Wammer

Apologies I am mistaken with the above Puerto Rico is in fact the last of the three episode series and will air Friday 17th July . This Friday July 10th will be Cuba which I have much more knowledge over and look forward to . Show case afterwards will be interesting .

Also if anyone is interested Huey is having a Latin Theme to his 6 Music Saturday shows for the the next two weeks to coincide with the show so you can get to hear a wider smaple of the music and in full , what not to like ? This could prove to be another expensive watch .

Edited by bencat