Tazman46

FREE AE Techron 5050 linear amp, spares or repair

Hi all,

Been advised to put this here, it’s also in DIY. These amps have been modified by the manufacturer for use in our MRI system. I don’t know exactly what that process involves but the front pots are definitely disabled for one thing. This amp has probably been put on the scrap heap because it’s producing unstable images, what that equates to in sonic terms I have no idea. I’ve never tried putting an audio signal through one of these, one day I will, the spec is insane, Google it. I mentioned that we use these to someone on here years ago and he was astounded, whether that’s a justified reaction or not I don’t know. Anyway, it’s yours if you want it, we were paying circa 10k each so I should think there are some nice components in there. Collection only from Guildford, it’s around 40KG. Whoever takes it, please keep me up to date with its’ fate, whatever that may be, I would love to know what’s required to take it back to audio use as we have a lot of these...

• Upvote 1

We used to use these for power testing at Goodmans and they were indeed impressively juicy and damn near unburstable!

Can't remember ever trying one out sonically but it would be a fascinating project.

:o 5000 watts into 4 ohms :nerves:

If I new anything about e lectrikery I woild have this , but sadly I'm a numpty :geek:

Super Wammer

Bet you could drive that with a passive preamp.

Found a guy to take one of these, builds amplifiers as a hobby and lit up at the idea of the transformer inside, unfortunately I don’t think we’ll be hearing a rebuild but at least it’s getting some love. Still have more if anyone wants.