Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Toying with the idea of buying a new TV. The LG 32" we've had it since 2012 and perfectly happy with the picture, but with the lockdown going to continue for the foreseeable more features would be good, such as Netflix, YouFace, FilmBox etc etc. Any new TV must have a minimum of 3 x HDMI and AV connections, would be good to have Audio outs where I could connect direct to the amp... not essential as I currently run a HDMI to the Sky Box and analogue cables from the Sky Box to the amp. Ah, and it has to be full HD.

Size of 32" is ideal for me as large screens tend to give me migraines. That's why I rarely go to cinema. However, a 42" would be fine.

Not interested in gaming so it's purely for TV and Blu-rays.

My current TV: LG 32 LS5600 HD ready.

Any advice or pointers would be good as LG seem to make really good TVs for the money

Cheers.

Edited by plasticpenguin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Budget?

I have a 2019 LG and just checked and the three apps you mentioned are available, although I don't use these.

Could you clarify what you meant by wanting an 'AV' connection? HDMI is one type of AV connection but presumably you had something else in mind. My TV only has HDMI inputs so wanting a legacy connection type may be the thing you need to watch out for.

I'm very happy with my TV, including its UI and running the YouTube and iPlayer apps that I use. It's a higher end model though (OLED65C9).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi PP. 

Curious that larger screens would give you migraines. Could that be the super-inflated volume they pump it out at in the cinema is giving you the migriane instead of the size of pic? Strange that it would happen as it's no brighter, its just bigger.

Re TV suggestions... if you are not in a rush, ebay often do discount codes which can be redeemed on items. Typically 10% or 20% off with max £75 reduction. They are available usually at least once per month.

I've bought a 55" Samsung UE55NU7300 ultra HD curved screen telly about 1 year ago. I paid (with discount code) £375 delivered.

A week or so later my dad bought same, non-curved version, new for £350.

Both very happy with our purchases. Keep an eye out for a deal code on ebay would be a good shout.

You could also download the 'hotukdeals' app which shows really good offers on anything/everything you could imagine and which often shows TV's. 

Ps - my TV purchase was shown on here, although I only realised this after I'd bought it.

If you buy a decent brand UHD 4K TV you will notice a big jump up in picture quality from yours. They have improved significantly over previous few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

I would concur with Pete re Picture quality in recent years. I bought a Sony 55" to replace a 5yr old 42" Panasonic plasma which I thought had a superb picture quality, and would be hard to beat. Wrong the Sony beats all ends up. I would certainly go for a 42" if you have the space, I wall mounted the 55", and would not go back to a smaller screen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MartinC said:

Budget?

I have a 2019 LG and just checked and the three apps you mentioned are available, although I don't use these.

Could you clarify what you meant by wanting an 'AV' connection? HDMI is one type of AV connection but presumably you had something else in mind. My TV only has HDMI inputs so wanting a legacy connection type may be the thing you need to watch out for.

I'm very happy with my TV, including its UI and running the YouTube and iPlayer apps that I use. It's a higher end model though (OLED65C9).

Max £300 for that size of TV.

I don't know. It's a Scart connection with a adaptor going in and three RCAs coming out. It says AV In (RGB). We had the TV so long now can't remember where they go and as my back is still quite bad I don't want start getting on my hands and knees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Amormusic said:

Hi PP. 

Curious that larger screens would give you migraines. Could that be the super-inflated volume they pump it out at in the cinema is giving you the migriane instead of the size of pic? Strange that it would happen as it's no brighter, its just bigger.

Re TV suggestions... if you are not in a rush, ebay often do discount codes which can be redeemed on items. Typically 10% or 20% off with max £75 reduction. They are available usually at least once per month.

I've bought a 55" Samsung UE55NU7300 ultra HD curved screen telly about 1 year ago. I paid (with discount code) £375 delivered.

A week or so later my dad bought same, non-curved version, new for £350.

Both very happy with our purchases. Keep an eye out for a deal code on ebay would be a good shout.

You could also download the 'hotukdeals' app which shows really good offers on anything/everything you could imagine and which often shows TV's. 

Ps - my TV purchase was shown on here, although I only realised this after I'd bought it.

If you buy a decent brand UHD 4K TV you will notice a big jump up in picture quality from yours. They have improved significantly over previous few years.

It's not the super-inflated sound of a cinema otherwise when I've been to a concert the same thing would happen - it doesn't for some reason.

Think it's more down to a big screen and the lights being out that causes migraines. Once wore a pair of sunglasses to a cinema which did the trick. I did get some funny looks though. So I don't want to risk buying a screen where I have to keep popping painkillers before watching a Soap

The room will only allow a 42" screen otherwise it will dominate the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, greybeard said:

I would concur with Pete re Picture quality in recent years. I bought a Sony 55" to replace a 5yr old 42" Panasonic plasma which I thought had a superb picture quality, and would be hard to beat. Wrong the Sony beats all ends up. I would certainly go for a 42" if you have the space, I wall mounted the 55", and would not go back to a smaller screen.

The ma-in-law has a old Philips 32" and that's staggering picture. Except for one thing: Motion on it is rubbish compared to our LG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

The ma-in-law has a old Philips 32" and that's staggering picture. Except for one thing: Motion on it is rubbish compared to our LG

It will be humbled compared against a recent decent brand 4K UHD TV.

You are in for a big treat when you pick one up👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

It will be humbled compared against a recent decent brand 4K UHD TV.

You are in for a big treat when you pick one up👍

I've got my beadies on this.

Clickety

This may have to be wall mounted to make it fit snugly.

Have to remember we aren't TV geeks. As long as the picture is good enough....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same price in John Lewis for same telly. JL has 5 year warranty as standard. Worth checking what RS offer in this respect.

Will look good. Any decent brand 4K UHD tv will look the dogs danglies as they've come on so far.

First thing I watched on mine was David Attenborough in 4K on Netflix. Just wow is all I can say. A 4K picture looks immense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Amormusic said:

Same price in John Lewis for same telly. JL has 5 year warranty as standard. Worth checking what RS offer in this respect.

Will look good. Any decent brand 4K UHD tv will look the dogs danglies as they've come on so far.

First thing I watched on mine was David Attenborough in 4K on Netflix. Just wow is all I can say. A 4K picture looks immense.

RS have a 6 year warranty.

Pretty much taken by this TV. May buy it within the next couple of weeks

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

I don't know. It's a Scart connection with a adaptor going in and three RCAs coming out. It says AV In (RGB). We had the TV so long now can't remember where they go and as my back is still quite bad I don't want start getting on my hands and knees. 

Which end needs to connect to the TV? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Which end needs to connect to the TV? 

Strange. I tried unplugging the adaptor at the TV end and I was expecting a loss of picture... but no. Until I can pull the TV out I won't know what it's connected to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you haven't bought your new TV yet have a look at this site.

https://kagoo.co.uk/4k-tvs

It is the best site I know of for comparing TVs and other electrical goods.

There are three  4K LG 43" TVs on there for less than £300

Recently bought a new washing machine and using this site got one for £70 less than the same model in Currys.

Also bought an end of range  Finlux 49" 4K Smart TV using this site direct from Finlux reduced from £799 to £325.

Had it 2 years now without a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, glenhb said:

If you haven't bought your new TV yet have a look at this site.

https://kagoo.co.uk/4k-tvs

It is the best site I know of for comparing TVs and other electrical goods.

There are three  4K LG 43" TVs on there for less than £300

Recently bought a new washing machine and using this site got one for £70 less than the same model in Currys.

Also bought an end of range  Finlux 49" 4K Smart TV using this site direct from Finlux reduced from £799 to £325.

Had it 2 years now without a problem.

Thanks. I'll have a butchers a little later.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.