Recommended Posts

Decided. I'm going to plump for the LG 43" 4K over the next few weeks. May have to buy a cheap Dac to obtain all the audio connections I need, something I should have done with our current TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're buying from Richer Sounds don't forget to sign up to their VIP Club, you might get an introductory discount.

Plus if you purchase via Topcashback  you can get 2% back.

Every little helps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who can't tell much difference between 1080p and 4K, I bet you would with two screens side by side (not that you'd be in a position to try it).

It's more immediately obvious in static images and menus which is why it's 4K gaming (particularly with HDR) that has impressed me most. I know that doesn't appeal to many here though.

Pretty much every 40"+ TV on the market is 4K now but as with the early days of HD, few are taking full advantage of it. The extra to get Netflix in 4K may be worth it to you but I think Sky ask an extra £12 a month which is a bit rich. UHD Blu-ray will outperform both but who wants to buy movies on disc at £20 a pop these days? 

Other than the above, you're viewing upscaled HD content. If your previous TV is getting on a bit, other technological improvements might mean the newer panel does a better job even with upscaling, but I found Sky's regular 1080i content looked a tad better on my old Pioneer plasma than my new Sony OLED. Native resolution is king there.

Anyway, not sure what my point is here. Enjoy the new telly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Warszawa said:

For those who can't tell much difference between 1080p and 4K, I bet you would with two screens side by side (not that you'd be in a position to try it).

It's more immediately obvious in static images and menus which is why it's 4K gaming (particularly with HDR) that has impressed me most. I know that doesn't appeal to many here though.

Pretty much every 40"+ TV on the market is 4K now but as with the early days of HD, few are taking full advantage of it. The extra to get Netflix in 4K may be worth it to you but I think Sky ask an extra £12 a month which is a bit rich. UHD Blu-ray will outperform both but who wants to buy movies on disc at £20 a pop these days? 

Other than the above, you're viewing upscaled HD content. If your previous TV is getting on a bit, other technological improvements might mean the newer panel does a better job even with upscaling, but I found Sky's regular 1080i content looked a tad better on my old Pioneer plasma than my new Sony OLED. Native resolution is king there.

Anyway, not sure what my point is here. Enjoy the new telly!

Agreed. If we can't tell the difference we would need to make an optician appointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Agreed. If we can't tell the difference we would need to make an optician appointment.

No: size and viewing distance matter.

Close enough / large enough and the difference is obvious. Too far away / too small and it won't be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MartinC said:

No: size and viewing distance matter.

Close enough / large enough and the difference is obvious. Too far away / too small and it won't be. 

As I said earlier in the thread, the new TV has almost 40% bigger screen and 4k. If I can't tell the difference.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

As I said earlier in the thread, the new TV has almost 40% bigger screen and 4k. If I can't tell the difference.... 

Sorry I missed the 'we' in your post this morning and read it as a more general comment. 

Obviously you'll be able to tell a difference between a bigger TV and a smaller one :).

Are you going to try to see the TV you're considering in a shop? Just thinking back to your earlier comment on differences between how TVs handle motion which you might want to look at? In case you aren't aware, one of the difference between more expensive TVs and cheaper models can be the control they give you over things like motion settings. If the cheaper looks as you want then this is no problem at all but if you get say a 'soap opera effect' that you don't like it wouldn't be good. My parents had a Sony TV that did this. The higher end Samsung they have now allowed me to 'fix' a similar issue by changing motion settings. Just something to consider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Sorry I missed the 'we' in your post this morning and read it as a more general comment. 

Obviously you'll be able to tell a difference between a bigger TV and a smaller one :).

Are you going to try to see the TV you're considering in a shop? Just thinking back to your earlier comment on differences between how TVs handle motion which you might want to look at? In case you aren't aware, one of the difference between more expensive TVs and cheaper models can be the control they give you over things like motion settings. If the cheaper looks as you want then this is no problem at all but if you get say a 'soap opera effect' that you don't like it wouldn't be good. My parents had a Sony TV that did this. The higher end Samsung they have now allowed me to 'fix' a similar issue by changing motion settings. Just something to consider.

Yeah, the plan is to demo one in a shop and chew over any concerns with the salesperson. Of course motion is important, as I was referring to the ma-in-laws Philips. Her TV is more expensive with better clarity but motionwise it doesn't compare with my cheaper LG. As I watch a lot of motor sport, football etc this trait is pretty important.

I've tried adjusting the Philips and it seems motion isn't its strong point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you watch the Gadget show from a couple of weeks ago they tested some TV's, watching car racing and how the TV performed was one of the tests.

Edited by Bolosun
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the one you wanted from Richer Sounds has sold out.

Box have this one for £299 plus a free Google Nest Mini

https://www.box.co.uk/soloco/LG-43UM7000PLA-43-Ultra-HD-4K-Smart-TV_2742475.html#promotions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/07/2020 at 14:09, glenhb said:

Looks like the one you wanted from Richer Sounds has sold out.

Box have this one for £299 plus a free Google Nest Mini

https://www.box.co.uk/soloco/LG-43UM7000PLA-43-Ultra-HD-4K-Smart-TV_2742475.html#promotions

I'm sure they'll replenish the stocks at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.