patbarrydub

China-Hifi-audio...

Super Wammer
24 minutes ago, patbarrydub said:

If you buy it on your credit card - and it doesn't turn up - or turns up damaged or not working - or nothing like the photos and the sales blurb,  with a card not present (internet/mail order/telephone order) the card company have the power to charge back the transaction (so they cannot lose either).the chargeback codes are for "goods not received" "goods not as described" and others i have forgotten (it has been a long time since I retired from the Credit Card Industry).  Also if it turns up and packs up shortly afterwards, as it cost over £100 the credit card company is also liable, so if the dealer will not sort it - you can claim on the card company to reimburse you.  It is a lengthy process though and as they say their are no guarantees in this world the outcome will be successful.  They have 120 days to charge it back (or used to be that as far as i can recall) so if it goes wrong in the first 90 to 100 days then the chargeback process should be able to sort out the problem (goods faulty and not as described).

Just be aware their will be an import tax charge (I think same as VAT @ 20%) and not sure if any other charges apply to import .. 

I hope that information helps 

👍 thanks for that, yeah I forgot, bought an expensive football online for my son a while back which turned out to be fake on receipt, as you say it took a good while to get the chargeback, the same’d apply in this situation.  Was thinking the old adage if somethings too good to be true...price quoted is only half of what the amp normally costs.

Edited by patbarrydub

I have a mate who successfully ordered a tube amp and Dac from this site. Took ages to arrive but it did and was well packed too. 

7 hours ago, patbarrydub said:

If it's a Cayin product that you're interested in, there is a UK importer.

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk

I've not used them myself.

3 hours ago, ACS said:

If it's a Cayin product that you're interested in, there is a UK importer.

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk

I've not used them myself.

👍  Thanks

A lot of Chinese built audio stuff is anything but crap.

As for 'why is anyone buying it', I'd take a good look around your house and try to find stuff that isn't either made in China or 'made' somewhere else using parts or entire assemblies that come from China. A great many (if not the majority) of audio companies sub contract part or all of their manufacturing to the Far East and have been doing so, some quite quietly, for many years.

Looking round our house, I'd struggle to find anything electronic that isn't at least part manufactured in China and I'd expect absolutely every bit of electronic equipment has components in it that came from there. What this says about world economics and manufacturing is a different matter.

Either way, the world is what it is. It seems a little unfair to punish the entire population of a country for what may or may not have been the fault of someone in that society. Even if you want to avoid anything of Chinese manufacture, I wish you luck in that endeavour.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, patbarrydub said:

yeah, just buy it :) I buy from China all the time, never used that seller but just use an insured method of payment. Amp looks nice, if you dont like it you'll sell it over and over here in the UK anyway and probably make a profit.

Watch out for import fees, that'll bump the price right up and they are almost guaranteed to be slapped on.

25 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

yeah, just buy it :) I buy from China all the time, never used that seller but just use an insured method of payment. Amp looks nice, if you dont like it you'll sell it over and over here in the UK anyway and probably make a profit.

Watch out for import fees, that'll bump the price right up and they are almost guaranteed to be slapped on.

The other thing to watch out for is to make sure it's specified for 240 volts, not 220.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rabski said:

A lot of Chinese built audio stuff is anything but crap.

As for 'why is anyone buying it', I'd take a good look around your house and try to find stuff that isn't either made in China or 'made' somewhere else using parts or entire assemblies that come from China. A great many (if not the majority) of audio companies sub contract part or all of their manufacturing to the Far East and have been doing so, some quite quietly, for many years.

Looking round our house, I'd struggle to find anything electronic that isn't at least part manufactured in China and I'd expect absolutely every bit of electronic equipment has components in it that came from there. What this says about world economics and manufacturing is a different matter.

Either way, the world is what it is. It seems a little unfair to punish the entire population of a country for what may or may not have been the fault of someone in that society. Even if you want to avoid anything of Chinese manufacture, I wish you luck in that endeavour.

I heard a staggering figure quoted before of 80% of consumer goods in the EU originate from China.

1 hour ago, rabski said:

The other thing to watch out for is to make sure it's specified for 240 volts, not 220.

Yeah, amp is 220v + or - 5% so is within the parameters, doesn’t state the hz frequency though.

Edited by patbarrydub

We've had to kill a few comments in this thread already. Let's dial the xenophobia down to zero, please, or there will be vacations from the Wam in your future.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, patbarrydub said:

Yeah, amp is 220v + or - 5% so is within the parameters, doesn’t state the hz frequency though.

In my experience, with valve equipment, that makes them run hot.  Either literally, or over voltage to valve heaters, in particular.  For different amps I have either made bucking transformers (Ming Da MC845s- ask Keith how they are doing [MF 1000]), or used a dropper resistor on the heaters (Yaqin MS12-B).  If made for 240V I have had no problems.

If 220V I would assume 50Hz, European.  US 60Hz would be 120V.  Usually.

1 hour ago, patbarrydub said:

It isn't within the parameters unfortunately. The +/- 5% means it's specified for a maxiumum of 231 volts. UK mains is 230 volts, with a tolerance allowable of -6% and +10%. That means the voltage can be over 250, and often is. It's not peak here, and ours measures currently 249 give or take a bit. The +/- 5% implies a quite tight tolerance and running something at 250 volts that's specified for a maximum of 230 is not a good idea.

It's not all doom and gloom. You can get a step down transformer reasonably cheaply or someone can modify the amp to add a backing transformer. Either way, if it's 220 volts, it's not OK for UK use normally.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, rabski said:

It isn't within the parameters unfortunately. The +/- 5% means it's specified for a maxiumum of 231 volts. UK mains is 230 volts, with a tolerance allowable of -6% and +10%. That means the voltage can be over 250, and often is. It's not peak here, and ours measures currently 249 give or take a bit. The +/- 5% implies a quite tight tolerance and running something at 250 volts that's specified for a maximum of 230 is not a good idea.

It's not all doom and gloom. You can get a step down transformer reasonably cheaply or someone can modify the amp to add a backing transformer. Either way, if it's 220 volts, it's not OK for UK use normally.

A good shout out on the voltage. My mains usually sits on 250v day in and day out with occasional bumps to 254v.