Turn it up!

Active speakers. What's all the fuss?!

Actually I agree, in some respects, but in the context of £10,000 D&D speakers referred to earlier...

And not that much more than a pair of LS 50s and a decent amplifier. We all have different views on cost and value for money, that is normal, but given the pricing of some hifi these days, I thought 'modest' was a fair description.

Super Wammer

Well there is a site selling brand new models at £609 each including free postage (ex Italy) which makes them £1218 all in . If you really have to get modest then what about this ?

https://reverb.com/uk/item/33874885-monitoring-speakers-genelec-8320-apm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1726164661&merchant_id=239754122&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI28GCyOyp6gIVArDtCh2QAQWZEAQYByABEgKkefD_BwE

For me, going active gives me the ability to tune the sound to my tastes and not what the designer thinks, sounds nice to his ears. 

I will be using SET + tube amps for mids and highs. Plus class D high power amps for bass. So some solid bass slam + sweet tunable sound up top.

I have already seen the benefits of DSP, and Iam a convert now . So this added benefit also adds to the attraction in going active.

I've heard quite a few speakers in the last 5 years, and no single one did everything for me. Everyone of them was a compromise of sorts. This is what I wish to adress, when I go 3 way active these vacations.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 29/06/2020 at 13:13, Turn it up! said:

I would love to hear a set of the top end ATC actives. I've read complaints on the looks but I like the style (or lack of) and at only 96kg each they are practically portable compared to the Beolab 90...

Anyone got some ATC or heard them? 

50057975731_c0605198f4_b.jpgatc-scm300sl-tower by Paul Grant, on Flickr

Hi,

I don't often read or post here, but I chanced on this. I have been running ATC actives for about 20 years. I started with a pair of bargain secondhand SCM100ASLs, and then the SLAT 150s with upgraded "Anniversary" power amps (offboard power supplies, I believe). I've had these for about 12 years.

ATCs really killed my desire to upgrade anything except the front end, as they are very revealing, whilst being natural at the same time. The midrange is unequalled IMO, and the bass is pretty handy as well.

Rest of system is an SME 30 / Series V / Ortofon A90 / Whest MC Ref V dual-mono / CDS2 / Modified Naim 52.

If there's anything wrong with the front end, the ATCs will politely reveal it to you. If the front end is good, they are utterly sublime and I can't recommend them highly enough. If interested, give Bob Polley a ring at ATC and tell him your room dimensions. I have a pretty big room.

Edited by Blzebub
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Blzebub said:

Hi,

I don't often read or post here, but I chanced on this. I have been running ATC actives for about 20 years. I started with a pair of bargain secondhand SCM100ASLs, and then the SLAT 150s with upgraded "Anniversary" power amps (offboard power supplies, I believe). I've had these for about 12 years.

ATCs really killed my desire to upgrade anything except the front end, as they are very revealing, whilst being natural at the same time. The midrange is unequalled IMO, and the bass is pretty handy as well.

Rest of system is an SME 30 / Series V / Ortofon A90 / Whest MC Ref V dual-mono / CDS2 / Modified Naim 52.

If there's anything wrong with the front end, the ATCs will politely reveal it to you. If the front end is good, they are utterly sublime and I can't recommend them highly enough. If interested, give Bob Polley a ring at ATC and tell him your room dimensions. I have a pretty big room.

Great post, much appreciated to hear your experiences with active ATC. When it's possible I think I need to get myself over to ATC for a demo. I've read a few concerns on bass and as they have a studio monitor background on revealing bad recordings or weakness in the front end which I need to explore but they do seem a very attractive (if not cheap) proposition.

Cheers 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Turn it up! said:

Great post, much appreciated to hear your experiences with active ATC. When it's possible I think I need to get myself over to ATC for a demo. I've read a few concerns on bass and as they have a studio monitor background on revealing bad recordings or weakness in the front end which I need to explore but they do seem a very attractive (if not cheap) proposition.

Cheers 

If you consider they include an electronic crossover and triple active power amps, all designed to work in tandem with each amplifier's respective driver (super-simple and predictable load for a power amp), manufactured in-house to an extremely high standard, plus the world's best midrange driver, they look a bit more reasonable. I have never heard any other pair of speakers to rival them. I know that sounds really arrogant, but it's how I feel about ATC. The best money can buy IMO, and a bargain despite what seems like a high price tag.

As regards "bad" recordings, it's true that you occasionally notice things like bad mastering, but it is mercifully quite rare, and these recordings wouldn't sound any better on lower-quality speakers in any case. Come to think of it, they'd probably sound even worse, with distortion on top of a bad recording.

Edited by Blzebub
  • Upvote 1

If you're anywhere near the East Midlands, you would be welcome to listen to mine.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bencat said:

Well there is a site selling brand new models at £609 each including free postage (ex Italy) which makes them £1218 all in . If you really have to get modest then what about this ?

https://reverb.com/uk/item/33874885-monitoring-speakers-genelec-8320-apm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1726164661&merchant_id=239754122&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI28GCyOyp6gIVArDtCh2QAQWZEAQYByABEgKkefD_BwE

Indeed, but they are smaller 8320 models, the 8330 I suggested are a bit bigger and £60 ea more expensive.

I also included the £300+ cost of the dsp interface for room/spesker eq which comes complete with well developed software and a Umik standard calibrated microphone. At the price it gives a real taste of what a small speaker with comprehensive dsp can do, about £8k less should you fancy a go.

Bigger versions are available too, but I once saw the slightly earlier version 8330/GLM set up in a conference room (acoustically poor) as a demonstration, very impressive.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Really how much was your Kef LS50s and amp and DAC? 

No where near that amount... Less than £1k

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

No where near that amount... Less than £1k

What decent amp can you get for that sort of money, new? Kefs are about £700?

Edited by BeeRay

52 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

What decent amp can you get for that sort of money, new? Kefs are about £700?

What's your point? You're jumped up at times, gets boring... 

I already had amp and DAC in situ; so just bought the KEFs new as couldn't find the ones I wanted SH... What difference does it make if the amp cost £200 or £1000?! If it sounds good, it generally is!

To me, £1600 upwards is not modest for any hifi or active set up; it's in the expensive territory. It may be cheap to others, modest to others again, but to me, that's a lot of money for hifi that I'd rather save £££ and spend on decent 2nd hand stuff & spend the rest on music etc

2 hours ago, Blzebub said:

If you're anywhere near the East Midlands, you would be welcome to listen to mine.

Do you have the 150's?

I live in melbourne

Hint hint

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

What's your point? You're jumped up at times, gets boring... 

I already had amp and DAC in situ; so just bought the KEFs new as couldn't find the ones I wanted SH... What difference does it make if the amp cost £200 or £1000?! If it sounds good, it generally is!

To me, £1600 upwards is not modest for any hifi or active set up; it's in the expensive territory. It may be cheap to others, modest to others again, but to me, that's a lot of money for hifi that I'd rather save £££ and spend on decent 2nd hand stuff & spend the rest on music etc

The point is that to get better sound than the active LS50W you have to spend serious money on an amplifier with passive LS50s - much more than the NAD amps you are using. Then you have to buy a streamer and DAC with suitable cables and equipment stand before you can compare with everything the LS50Ws do. What you find affordable or not doesn’t seem relevant to that discussion. If you want to save money you can always buy a pair of KEF LSXs.

Edited by rdale