Sign in to follow this  
lsegeorge

Spendor 100 generations – Educate me please !

Greetings to the group!

Can you please educate me around the Spendor 100 different generations/iterations, or point me to a suitable resource.

If my understanding is correct the family tree was as follows

S 100

SP 100

SP 100 R1

SP 100 R2

Classic 100

Are all the above real iterations?

Is SP100 different than SP100R1? and

Was there an SP100R which is difference than that SP100R1?

What years were each of the above manufactured and what were the major upgrades.

Should your list start at the BC3?

Not many people will have heard all of those.  A few dealers and reviewers probably. Most owners bought a pair and kept them until their wives sold them after the funeral!

I wish I had the room for a pair of them. 

Edited by HectorHughMunro
  • Like 1

If I'm not mistake the S100 and SP100 were designed by Derek Hughes:

5fXhQn3.png

• Like 2

Stereophile's measurements show the S100 to be much better speaker than the SP100R2:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-s100-loudspeaker-measurements

https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-classic-sp100rsup2sup-loudspeaker-measurements

I must admit to some puzzlement over the Spendor SP100R2's measured performance, especially as, other than having tighter, better-controlled low frequencies, it doesn't appear to perform as well as Spendor's S100 from 20 years ago. Certainly, these measurements don't indicate why AD liked the speaker as much as he did. An enigma.—John Atkinson

• Like 1

@tuga thanks for the above!

So are S100 different than SP100 and SP100 different than SP100R ??

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, lsegeorge said:

“The Classic 100 is a larger three way design, evolved over the years from Spendor S100 (1989) and SP100 (1994) designs and replaces SP100R2 as the largest ‘stand mount’ speaker in the range“

Based on this statement from here http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk/tag/spendor-loudspeakers/ I reckon that’s a Yes!

• Like 1

Super Wammer

More here

https://www.vintageshifi.com/repertoire-pdf/pdf/telecharge.php?pdf=Spendor-Classic-Catalog.pdf

”The SP100R2 is evolved from the famous Spendor BC3, S100, S100P and SP100 loudspeaker systems.”

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 1

Many thanks for the above!

So I read the above as  SP100 and SP100 R1 referring to the same thing!

Whilst SP100 being the successor to the S100

Super Wammer
23 minutes ago, lsegeorge said:

Many thanks for the above!

So I read the above as  SP100 and SP100 R1 referring to the same thing!

Whilst SP100 being the successor to the S100

I can’t say for sure, but I’m guessing that R is used here rather like we use v in versions.  So v2 is usually the second version, whereupon the original gets v1 added to clarify.  Hence R1 may well be the original SP100.

[It doesn’t help when the Spendor brochure has a typo I quoted above with mention of a “S100P”!!]

It seems unambiguous that the SP100 came five years after the S100.  

Edited by Nopiano

Super Wammer

. . . . and I just happen to have a mint pair of S100 as well as a pair of SP100R2. 

I bought the S100 new from a shop in Newark after a couple of weeks home demo of their shop demo set. The demo speakers had the earlier grille with a horizontal line but my pair have the grille without that. 

2 hours ago, lsegeorge said:

I think that only the woofer differs between the S100 and the SP100. The SP9/1s I bought used had woofers from the two speakers (one each). I checked with Derek Hughes and he confirmed that they were interchangeable.

The SP100R, which is not a Hughes design, uses a different tweeter and a different midrange (with phase plug), a different crossover and tonal balance is not identical (see Stereophile measurements above).

Derek sold the firm in '93 and left a few years later. As far as I know, the following are the last Huges'-era Spendor designs:

be5ssfl.png

Edited by tuga

1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

. . . . and I just happen to have a mint pair of S100 as well as a pair of SP100R2. 

I bought the S100 new from a shop in Newark after a couple of weeks home demo of their shop demo set. The demo speakers had the earlier grille with a horizontal line but my pair have the grille without that. 

I would give you a hand with those S100s but my current sitting room is just too small to accomodate them. :D

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, tuga said:

I think that only the woofer differs between the S100 and the SP100. The SP9/1s I bought used had woofers from the two speakers (one each). I checked with Derek Hughes and he confirmed that they were interchangeable.

Ah, so there is an S100P? It’s in the brochure you posted.  I thought it was a typo.  Apologies to the OP. 

2 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Ah, so there is an S100P? It’s in the brochure you posted.  I thought it was a typo.  Apologies to the OP. 

It's also in the brochure you poste (and the text you quoted from it). :minikev:

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, tuga said:

It's also in the brochure you poste (and the text you quoted from it). :minikev:

Yes, I realise now, but I’d not seen that configuration mentioned anywhere else.  Seems like it was a S100 with newer drive units.