Pedro2

Sub stand?

I have recently tried an experiment with the sub; namely lifting it off the floor. The main effect appears to be a reduction in the amount of low frequency volume (the sub’s volume can be turned up slightly). 

Will have to fiddle about more over the next few days but I’m now tempted to build a small, low stand for it to sit on. Wondered if anyone else has tried lifting their sub off the ground or is this seen as as a non starter? Curious.

Hi Pedro.  I have a BK sub with a down firing port.  In the end I mounted it on the spiked MDF plinth from my old (broken) sub which was almost perfectly sized.  It does sound better like this than having the sub firing down onto the carpet.

• Like 1

I found to get the best out of my subs in my set up I use high density fibre boards with spikes and shoes. It produces a priecise sweet, deep, quick and nimble bass. 765c2432cb5e506a45854771982f5b7a.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Super Wammer

The port and driver on a down firing sub if close to the carpet or floor will start to be damped by bit he the material and by having to displace the air sideways either across the floor or worse still through the fibres of the carpet (though  this would only effect higher frequencies).  The more you lift up the port/driver away from the floor the less 'buffering' there is and potentially the bass response becomes faster, almost like a front firing sub.  In fact you could experiment with laying the sub on its side to see what the sound response was like as a 'front facing' sub.  

Adding boards beneath the feet will alter the sound in a similar way as standing speakers on granite boards does, but for me I'd experiment with taller feet aswell.

Edited by MF 1000

9 hours ago, Pedro2 said:

I have recently tried an experiment with the sub; namely lifting it off the floor. The main effect appears to be a reduction in the amount of low frequency volume (the sub’s volume can be turned up slightly). 

Will have to fiddle about more over the next few days but I’m now tempted to build a small, low stand for it to sit on. Wondered if anyone else has tried lifting their sub off the ground or is this seen as as a non starter? Curious.

I'm confused. Needing to turn the volume up indicates it would be a bad idea to raise the sub up in your case I'd have thought?

Edited by MartinC

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, Pedro2 said:

I use IsoAcoustics subwoofer stands with my KEF R400b subs.

https://www.thomann.de/es/isoacoustics_iso_200sub.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwxev3BRBBEiwAiB_PWEyij21nAVIV--xtk8AXnobHXaCxU87_FzELgfKCV8K1Rb_CPXr1tRoCazAQAvD_BwE

Tighter bass and noticeably less floorboard vibrations. I'm not sure whether getting the subs off the floor in itself makes a difference, my KEFs fire sidewise - I assume a downward firing sub would be affected more.

My subs are sealed and side ways firing. My dealer told me to do three things and you’ll notice a big difference:

1. Use half decent XLR’s.

2. Use a decent power cable.

3. Get them off the floor a good bit. 

I haven’t done any of the above yet...but it’s only been 3 years so...