Leem

Speechless

We've just recently sold our house in Essex, and due to timing and change in values when we moved up north we have a significant amount of money left over, which is basically my pension.

I casually mentioned to my much better half that I was thinking of spending some of it on a hifi upgrade.

Her comment was "don't spend it all, I don't think you should spend more than a 100k" 

I was thinking about 5k if I could find something that gave me a decent improvement.

and no we aren't that rich that we can throw 100k at hifi, so this isn't a humblebrag! 

I'm still a bit speechless that she'd let me do something like that, even though I have no intention of doing it

• Haha 3

Super Wammer

It makes me wonder what she wants to spend 100 k on? Not that I am a cynic 9_9 

• Haha 5

Just now, greybeard said:

Given her hobbies that would be a LOT of running shoes

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, greybeard said:

That was my thought too... :shock:

• Haha 1

She's a keeper and no mistake 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tony_J said:

That was my thought too... :shock:

Well we are building a large garden summer house, so maybe it's that!

Seriously she's never been interested in money or handbags or shoes, or clothes. She's a bit unusual!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JD68 said:

She's a keeper and no mistake 😀

17 years so far 😉

• Upvote 1

I suspect she was being sarcastic , I wouldn't go over 1k if I was you :nerves:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Only one way to find out :D

• Haha 2

...speaks a man with a death wish :whistle:

5 hours ago, Leem said:

We've just recently sold our house in Essex, and due to timing and change in values when we moved up north we have a significant amount of money left over, which is basically my pension.

I casually mentioned to my much better half that I was thinking of spending some of it on a hifi upgrade.

Her comment was "don't spend it all, I don't think you should spend more than a 100k" 

I was thinking about 5k if I could find something that gave me a decent improvement.

and no we aren't that rich that we can throw 100k at hifi, so this isn't a humblebrag! 

I'm still a bit speechless that she'd let me do something like that, even though I have no intention of doing it

Be very afraid!  A few years ago bought a pair of Living Voice speakers from Dave at Brighton HiFi Exchange.  Met him near Brighton Station, he had just left a custom install half way finished.  The Wife walked in and saw two large Gershman speakers in the lounge.  He said she was less then pleased, to put it mildly.  Said she didn't want the rest on display and wanted Dave to install it in the airing cupboard.  So if you spend the 100K?  Get a large class A valve Amp, at least it will help dry the clothes. 

• Haha 6

Is there any way she may have misheard the word hifi or mistaken it for something else?

Just checking before I advocate getting ordering pretty sharpish before she changes her mind.

4 hours ago, Ron Hilditch said:

Be very afraid!  A few years ago bought a pair of Living Voice speakers from Dave at Brighton HiFi Exchange.  Met him near Brighton Station, he had just left a custom install half way finished.  The Wife walked in and saw two large Gershman speakers in the lounge.  He said she was less then pleased, to put it mildly.  Said she didn't want the rest on display and wanted Dave to install it in the airing cupboard.  So if you spend the 100K?  Get a large class A valve Amp, at least it will help dry the clothes. 

The amp won't be a problem, already have a Sugden IA4!

1 hour ago, Big Fat Gaz said:

Is there any way she may have misheard the word hifi or mistaken it for something else?

Just checking before I advocate getting ordering pretty sharpish before she changes her mind.

It's got worse, I mentioned heading to fanthorpes to listen to a few things. Her response? 

"Yep, go on, we can afford it"

I think I've died and gone to heaven.  Short list so far, Cyrus One Cast for my garden Room, new chord DAC, new closed headphones for when she wants to be in the music room, and potentially a pair of JBL L100s or Klipsch Heresy.

What's even more remarkable is she only listens to music when she's running her fitness classes, she doesn't understand "listening to music" as an actual activity

1 hour ago, Leem said:

The amp won't be a problem, already have a Sugden IA4!

Did you buy a DIY Hypnosis kit?  If you did could I borrow it?