Polycotton

Naim Supernait3+HiCap Dr life

Good Afternoon.
I am awaiting delivery of my Supernait3 and HiCap DR and was wondering about whether it is advisable to leave the Hi Cap swithced on at all times or whether this shortens the life of the caps by 1000s of hours.
I note the on/off switch on the SN3 is on the rear so if this was on its own the temptaion would be to leave it switched on. The on/off switch on the Hi Cap Dr is on the front so it is easy to operate.
I was just wondering what other owners do?
Thank you.
Roger.

A good topic to raise on pink fish media , its a good point . certainly i leave my psu on all the time for my pre amp , last one was on for 6 years before it died forever [ bel canto vbs1] . not sure about  hi cap tho 

Super Wammer

I will just advise the following , why would you leave any item that is electrical other than a fridge or freezer on ? What do you expect to achieve ? If it is modern electronics then it will be warmed up and ready to play within maximum five minutes of switch on so no audio gain . Valve items may need a little longer but not much .

Leaving elextrical equipment including TV , Fre view Boxes etc is both wasteful of the planets energy , costs you money and has the potential for setting your house on fire . I have yet to have anyone give me a good enough reason to do it . Some will tell you that it improves sound quality over time but will not be able to explain any real reason why . I know that there will others who will have the opposite view . To me it is simple it is wasteful and possibly dangerous do not do it .

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Do you leave your oven on when you're not cooking anything?

Do you leave your vacuum cleaner on when you're not cleaning?

Do you leave your car engine running when you're not driving anywhere?

If you answered "No" to all of the above, then why would you leave your hi-fi on when you're not listening to it?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beobloke said:

Do you leave your car engine running when you're not driving anywhere?

Unfortunately lots of people do! Bugbear of mine grrrr 

19 hours ago, bencat said:

I will just advise the following , why would you leave any item that is electrical other than a fridge or freezer on ? What do you expect to achieve ? If it is modern electronics then it will be warmed up and ready to play within maximum five minutes of switch on so no audio gain . Valve items may need a little longer but not much .

Leaving elextrical equipment including TV , Fre view Boxes etc is both wasteful of the planets energy , costs you money and has the potential for setting your house on fire . I have yet to have anyone give me a good enough reason to do it . Some will tell you that it improves sound quality over time but will not be able to explain any real reason why . I know that there will others who will have the opposite view . To me it is simple it is wasteful and possibly dangerous do not do it .

Agree with Andrew here why would you? Just leaving something on aimlessly so its ready to listen to is just a waste imo. On saying that I leave my TV on standby because its convenience over everything, I also have an amp connected to it which is on standby most of its life again convenience over everything. I have another system though which has to have the ritual of switching every box on before I can listen to it, which is a faff but I don't see the point of leaving it all on all the time. Well I have just got it down to everything is left on and I just switch it on at the plug so it all comes on together, will that damage it, its very debateable as it is designed to the power supply its given anyway its just one (or many) less switches to faff around with.  

Super Wammer

If I left all my kit on 24/7 ....it's 19 Kw per day !!! and polar bears will die 

Slightly different I suppose, but there are 31 valves in my system and some of them are quite large, so leaving it on permanently is neither a wise idea nor frankly even an option. I probably inherited the 'waste not want not' mindset from my parents, but I also hate spending money unnecessarily and giving any funds to energy suppliers for something I'm not getting any use out of definitely comes under the 'unnecessary' heading.

Leaving a solid state amp switched on when it's not being used probably equates to a few LPs or some decent components before long.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. If any hifi equipment needs to be turned on 24/7 to sound right, then it's not fit for purpose.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Hi Roger, I think on Naim’s own forum you may find more enthusiasm for leaving some of their items powered up.  I also recall in the past folk claiming they power everything down for holidays and it then takes a week to sound good once they return.  That’s definitely a bit extreme for me!

My amp consumes just 0.2watts on standby, and the CD player powers down after 30 minutes without use, so it isn’t really an issue for me.  I’d hope that Naim might actually say something in their instructions, so please let us know when you get it.  There’s definitely been the argument in the past that with amplifiers the switch on ‘surge’ is what can cause the strain, rather than leaving it ticking over 24/7, but that seems out of kilter with today’s thinking on eco matters.