Huntergatherer

Anyone tried a Decca on a Rega?

Having sold my Hadcock in undue haste ( a match Made etc)and finding it hard to find another realistically priced substitute for my SC4e just wondered if anyone has tried a rega.

I have a spare rb600 lying around and wondered what if?

Super Wammer

I think the answer to that, would be try it, and hear for yourself. Your room and system will be unique, so you will be best qualified.

Works absolutely fine in a RB300 on a Lenco. 

I should have added that I have tried a variety of Unipivots over the years and none sounded as good as the Rega with the Decca (Super Gold) to my ears. I have now "converted" it to a 12" arm and it sounds even better (it was on show at last years Kegworth in the Lenco room). You might want to add a little weight to the headshell to help with balance and absorb some of that energy.

As always with the line contact and eliptical Decca's, I have found that keeping the stylus clean and using max tracking force is critical. Of course you may find otherwise o.O

Super Wammer

My AT1100 arm was dodgy so I slotted on the Origin Live siver summat (was £600 and I won it at a show raffle) and was not impressed so I slotted on the Rega RB250 I have with michel technoweight - and it was ok ish - it lacked the delicacy and depth of using the AT1100 ..  i even tried it in the AT1010 I have and that was better than the Rega but not as good as the AT1100 

My findings were you were always on the edge of your seat worrying it was going to seriously mistrack yet the FFS CR4E sounded a tad more relaxed (but still nothing as good as in a decent damped arm like the AT or a Mission 774). 

The problem is the Decca has no vertical compliance so damping aids it tracking records (and keeping that stylus in the groove).

I should add I have been a Decca user for over 40 years and the best I ever heard one sound was in a Mayware Formula IV but the missus was never gonna manage with one of those, so I have tried it in many arms over the years to reach the set up that works best for me.  The Fidelity Research FR64s did a good job but again was still edgy to my ears - as was the Itok and many others.

Personal view is I wouldn't use one in a Rega  (I changed the RB250 for a Mission 774 soon after)  as you will never be getting the best from it.   

Posted (edited)

I find myself agreeing with Uzzy on this. Ive had a Blue, a Maroon, 2 Golds, the second of which I returned to John Wright to be retipped and the vertical generator neutered to restore it to Mono (.7mm elliptical). In mono, its vertical compliance abilities are not challenged as the Gold is in stereo , and even becomes an asset because vertical compliance is the last thing you need for mono. The most successful mono cartridges have one generator and zero vertical compliance - but they will ruin a stereo groove. Some true monos have some vertical compliance as an insurance against playing a stereo record by mistake.

Its well known amongst we 'veterans' that Max Townsend used a Decca Gold in the early Rocks (the Cranfield and Rock References) as not only is damping required for the Deccas in general but damping at the headshell end, a la Townsend is even more effective. I think Glen Croft favoured a Decca.

Any Rock user occasionally will make the mistake of playing a record without swinging the trough over - I was playing a record once and I was thinking 'that doesnt sound right'. I had left the trough in disengaged mode!

I suspect the reason unipivots are in general good with Deccas (and the Hadcock 228 springs to mind here) is that the energy imparted to the arm doesnt excite the bearing as much as it would wiith a gimbal bearing which would 'chatter'. The mono Gold I trusted to my Wilson Benesch Act 0.5 on a TD124 I demo'd at Kegworth - that was good but it wasnt challenged as it was no longer stereo and being excited vertically.

I think a WB would do it though as its a unipivot ( well, one ball bearing sitting in a cup of 3 ball bearings) and it has an extremely quiet woven carbon fibre exponential one piece arm tube. You would think a Decca would sound good in a SME IV or V but no.

As you have the Rega you have nothing to lose by trying it.

I see you have a Garrard 301 Trefor -- if the plinth will accomodate a 12" arm one inexpensive alternative you could look out for is a Temaard (NZ) or an Analogue Instruments 12" - both unipivots and with that bit more mass that would suit a Decca.

Jack NSM

Edited by Non-Smoking Man
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the advice guys, yeah have a 301, but not space for a 12" Im using an Ultracraft at the moment, but the cuing is clumsy and something has happened to the sound and I can here a sort of burbling in the background so need some investication .

Will check out the arms though, it's such a minefield aghhh