deadflagbrews

Streamer recommendations

9 hours ago, twinpot said:

A Yamaha WXC-50 might be worth a look.

I have one of these in my system. Great value for money and IMO sounds really good. 

Cheers Ady 

18 minutes ago, Ady said:

I have one of these in my system. Great value for money and IMO sounds really good. 

Cheers Ady 

They’ve caught my eye in the past, does it have Chromecast built in or do you have to use a Yamaha app?

I believe you have to use the Yamaha musicast app.

Cheers Ady 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I too am looking at streamer options.  Was talking to a hifi shop owner today, I phoned initially to tall about a Lindemann Limetree streamer (£800).  From their website their stock looked extensive including quite a lot in the 4 figure range. He asked me my budget, I said pretty elastic but probably between £700-£1500.  I described my needs, he didn't think the Lindemann was good for me and I expected he would recommend something he thought was better. His suggestion was  the Audiolab 6000N.  I was surprised (it's around £450) but he said it outperforms equipment selling for over a grand.  Anyone have any views? It wasn't on my radar. Maybe it should be on the OP's but looking at your needs I think you want an amp on your streamer too? I'm not clear about what your need is there (or how flexible you are) but the Audiolab doesn't include a preamp.

Edited by Valley Dweller
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valley Dweller said:

I too am looking at streamer options.  Was talking to a hifi shop owner today, I phoned initially to tall about a Lindemann Limetree streamer (£800).  From their website their stock looked extensive including quite a lot in the 4 figure range. He asked me my budget, I said pretty elastic but probably between £700-£1500.  I described my needs, he didn't think the Lindemann was good for me and I expected he would recommend something he thought was better. He His suggestion was  the Audiolab 6000N.  I was surprised (it's around £450) but he said it outperforms equipment selling for over a grand.  Anyone have any views? It wasn't on my radar. Maybe it should be on the OP's.

I’ve had my eye on it, but I think Chromecast is the deal breaker for me (probably shooting myself in the foot, but I really prefer the Tidal app to bolt ons in manufacturers apps)

I am a very happy owner of a CA 851N, having recently upgraded from a CXN.

I am utterly bowled over by how good it sounds. 

I'd read the reviews and taken a large pinch of salt prior to my upgrade.  The CXN was truly great sounding, but this is next level good. Astounding.

A bias view of course as I am the owner. But that was £900 very well spent indeed. Im super happy with it.

• Like 2

Super Wammer
38 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

I am a very happy owner of a CA 851N, having recently upgraded from a CXN.

I am utterly bowled over by how good it sounds. 

I'd read the reviews and taken a large pinch of salt prior to my upgrade.  The CXN was truly great sounding, but this is next level good. Astounding.

A bias view of course as I am the owner. But that was £900 very well spent indeed. Im super happy with it.

Same here and I don’t miss chromecast as it was always slow and dropped out.

its great to play true hi res from Qobuz with the native StreamMagic app.

On 01/07/2020 at 10:59, twinpot said:

A Yamaha WXC-50 might be worth a look.

Agreed, but I am bought in to the Yamaha ecosystem.

19 hours ago, radiant red said:

Same here and I don’t miss chromecast as it was always slow and dropped out.

its great to play true hi res from Qobuz with the native StreamMagic app.

Doesn’t the 851 also have chromecast? I know the cxn does, assumed they’d both have it?

Yamaha MusiCast WXC 50, great interface Tidal button takes you to the app so identical.

Its a pre amp too.

Has multi room capability.

I have one works perfectly, really easy to get used to.

Gary

• Like 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, deadflagbrews said:

Doesn’t the 851 also have chromecast? I know the cxn does, assumed they’d both have it?

No, it doesn’t but when I had the CXN, Chromecast was slow and jumped tracks. Truly awful. Airplay is fine but the StreamMagic app will play Tidal and Qobuz directly meaning your phone or tablet purely acts as a remote. 
It is also Roon ready but I don’t use that. 

The Azur series is discontinued now and expect a new mid priced Cambridge streamer in the near future. Probably around £1500. 
The 851 is sonically impressive and I chose it over players costing 2k because audibly, I heard little difference. 
Cambridge are fully supporting the player definitively so it was a no brainier at £900 

Edited by radiant red

Are Yamaha supporting their streamer? I had a look at their forum and it seemed there was not much help with problems users were having.  Bluesound have forum but I did not find many users having problems. That partly why I went for it. Also there are quite a few upgrade possibilities. 

Sonos Connect through a half decent dac still sounds good to my ears. Bluesound Node 2 or 2i are a big step up. Auralic Aries Mini another level up again. On a budget Arcam Miniblink sounds better than it has any right to.

2 hours ago, BeeRay said:

Are Yamaha supporting their streamer? I had a look at their forum and it seemed there was not much help with problems users were having.  Bluesound have forum but I did not find many users having problems. That partly why I went for it. Also there are quite a few upgrade possibilities. 

I don't know but I have never needed any support and I have 4 different MusicCast devices (5 but that includes a two speakers used as a stereo pair).

Is that good or bad? :D

Anyway, I am a great fan.

I've had a few streamers over the last few years I know your budget is £700 if you could push a little more I would recommend the naim ndx which can be had now for £1000 the user app is the best I've experienced... The Internet radio sound quality is superb really top class... You have your tidal, chromecast, upnp, external dac's etc etc.... The music replay sound reproduction is good.... The unit is fully serviceable should the need arise... I think they retailed around £3650 so to my mind they are currently good value... If you wanted the Bluetooth version they can be had for around £1300... 

BTW... I'm no naimite😉

• Upvote 1