deadflagbrews

Streamer recommendations

I completely understand this, and this was why my early ‘toe in the water’ with streaming was a Squeezebox Touch.  How I wanted something similar but less geeky to replace it!  
Then I realised if all the info, sleeve cover, data rates etc were available on my iPad then I didn’t need a screen - especially one to squint at across the room.  Having used a Linn Sneaky that has no display, and now the better Akurate with scrolling text only, I honestly don’t miss it. 
Just worth mentioning as screen requirements severely limit your choice, and are the component most likely to fail first if you’re buying used. 

Good points to be fair - but the Cambridge players seem to have managed to create good sounding players with good apps and a screen. Hence my interest

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used a Luxman DA 100 on the CXN and the improvements were in the texture mainly. I borrowed a Luxman DA 06 which is out of my league but it was unreal and it’s something I would aspire to eventually.
You need to be looking at DACs costing upwards of 1k to improve on the CXN. The DA 100 was discontinued and was on offer under £500 so I took the gamble and it paid off. 
The 851 has more bass weight and stand alone it pipped the CXN/Luxman at less money whilst on offer. @DomT has the DAC now and loves it. 
The DAC was also fed by my Rotel RCD 02 as a transport and now the 851 is fed the same way for CD duties 

AF2DEAC9-A9F6-4C13-9549-9B0062E9DE37.thumb.jpeg.3f8ad0725810e16c5cd9f566fa50d7fd.jpeg
C15CF903-2277-49A9-9B68-480713A99E17.thumb.jpeg.86ee2a38afd4b678cca321c980c9b9db.jpeg

Thanks for the info That 851n looks the part !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, deadflagbrews said:

No plans for a storage device, so it’s purely for streaming Tidal for me or Spotify for the missus. Ethernet cable plugged into streamer. My only experience is with either a Chromecast Audio puck or a Naim Uniti. To stream with the CCA you use the services own app and just select the chromecast device you want to play from. Naim also had their own app with Tidal as a bolt on, but the bolt on didn’t seem to offer the same level of functionality as Tidal itself (no daily mixes or recommendations based on my library etc) I might be thick thinking the only way of using the Tidal app is to cast to a chromecast device, but it’s all I’ve seen so far. Spotify not so much of a problem as Spotify connect gets round this

Thanks for this.

I use Tidal. The Bluesound Node 2/2i can be used wirelessly or (like I do and you intend to) via ethernet cable from router. You then use the BluOS app on your mobile device (phone or iPad). It does not use native Tidal but I can do everything I want to within BluOS (playlists, etc) and it works like a dream. I'd (you'd!) need to confirm whether you get the recommendations or daily mixes, but the rest of the package makes this worthy of serious investigation as a streamer. It seems quite a few people are perfectly content with the internal DAC but many of us use our with an external DAC. The fact that there is no mobile device (and no wifi) in the playback chain is nice and the app is a dream.

Hope this helps. Sorry if it's just telling you what you know. Ideally of course you'd just borrow a Node, or buy a used 2 (not 2i) for £250 knowing you can sell it on and get your money back.

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, MGTOW said:

radiant red.

Not sure that is exactly correct, but I admit that my knowledge is a bit flakey in this area. As I understand it, Chromecast sits on your streamer and pulls the media direct from the server, using the (Chromcast compatible) app on your handheld device as a controller only.

Ie, unlike Airplay or Bluetooth, which downloads and processes the media on your device and transmits it to your streamer, with Chromecast your device is essentially a remote control, all the streaming and processing is done by the Chromecast software in the streamer. If you are familiar with Spotify, it is similar to the way that Spotify Connect works.

So, you need a Chromecast compatible streamer, not that common and you need Chromecast enabled apps to make it all work. The node does not have Chromecast, but I have a Chromecast video puck on my TV and using an iPad, that is exactly how it works.

I think this is right too. I used to think Chromecast put the device into the playback chain but it doesn't, it's as "out of the playback chain" as the Node. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure you can't connect to the Chromecast device using an ethernet cable, and it appears the OP likes to do this (as I do myself); I think the Chromecast is wifi only.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, radiant red said:

Simply answering your question 

if you want unmolested streaming. Use a PC via USB or the makers app which includes streaming services built in to get the highest quality of streaming they offer. Then the tablet or phone purely acts as a controller.

Chromecast and Airplay are in the audio path

I think you're wrong about Chromecast, this has been argued out before; I was of the same impression but was enlightened by a fellow wammer.

The test is of course whether selected music keeps playing when the controlling mobile device is switched off or put into flight mode. AirPlay is definitely in  the playback chain. Let's not disrupt the thread further, I'll try to dig out the related conversation later.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17875596/does-the-content-stream-from-wifi-directly-to-chromecast-or-from-wifi-to-androi

Edited by TheFlash

I'm sure there is a perfectly good reason but i just can't think what it might be so I am asking why not just keep the chromecast and spend the money on a DAC that you can connect the chromecast to? 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I think you're wrong about Chromecast, this has been argued out before; I was of the same impression but was enlightened by a fellow wammer.

The test is of course whether selected music keeps playing when the controlling mobile device is switched off or put into flight mode. AirPlay is definitely in  the playback chain. Let's not disrupt the thread further, I'll try to dig out the related conversation later.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17875596/does-the-content-stream-from-wifi-directly-to-chromecast-or-from-wifi-to-androi

It doesn’t stream hi resolution as I’ve already stated. But like you said, for another thread that has already discussed. Imo, it’s slow, cumbersome and takes ages to load with drop outs. My streamer has always been connected via Ethernet for the best possible replay. All I was saying is that Airplay and Chromecast are involved in the signal via WiFi where’s the StreamMagic app is not. Like the Linn.

Personally I’m not bothered because I use neither the Airplay or Chromecast. 
Chromecast definitely did not play 192kHz when I had this Yamaha below and because of the annoying dropping in connection, I sold it on

D8EF40E2-5540-471B-981A-42283DBE33D9.jpeg

Edited by radiant red

2 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Hi, as I pointed out earlier, the hand held is used purely as a remote for Chromecast enabled streamer, so in that sense is not involved in transmitting the media via wifi or anything else. The Chromecast software sits in the streamer, pulls the media from Tidal (in this case) and passes it straight on to the dac.

It also appears that the Chromecast implementation is not consistent across different streamers, some users report that they can stream Tidal hi-rez, some say Red Book only, it's a bit hit and miss but to be honest few users seem bothered, just using the embedded apps.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Hit and miss is definitely the case. If you want pure hi res. Use a PC or a dedicated manufacturer app supporting the media. 

Having said that Airplay is at least reliable 

Thanks all, what do you all think to one of these? Massively overpriced for old tech and a bit of a ball ache to get working with Tidal (Squeezebox platform I believe)? 

14EDA242-30DD-43E5-B54E-AD577C1AAD69.jpeg

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Hit and miss is definitely the case. If you want pure hi res. Use a PC or a dedicated manufacturer app supporting the media. 

Having said that Airplay is at least reliable 

I use a Node 2i (wired) which handles anything Tidal has to offer, only issue is that if I let the MacBook sleep then the app is a bit sluggish when it wakes up.

I do use Airplay too, very handy for listening to bits and bobs I might find on the net, totally reliable.

3 hours ago, Ruairi said:

I'm sure there is a perfectly good reason but i just can't think what it might be so I am asking why not just keep the chromecast and spend the money on a DAC that you can connect the chromecast to? 

New toys...

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, deadflagbrews said:

Thanks all, what do you all think to one of these? Massively overpriced for old tech and a bit of a ball ache to get working with Tidal (Squeezebox platform I believe)? 

14EDA242-30DD-43E5-B54E-AD577C1AAD69.jpeg

That looks like a photoshopped nightmare!  Even if it sounds amazing, something like this, plus the streaming service of your choice with the change, might be a lot better in the long run.

250E6661-7557-4A7A-A915-ACB597EC51FF.thumb.jpeg.48e24015dc557b75cbadb3b5393a7fb2.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MGTOW said:

Hi, as I pointed out earlier, the hand held is used purely as a remote for Chromecast enabled streamer, so in that sense is not involved in transmitting the media via wifi or anything else. The Chromecast software sits in the streamer, pulls the media from Tidal (in this case) and passes it straight on to the dac.

It also appears that the Chromecast implementation is not consistent across different streamers, some users report that they can stream Tidal hi-rez, some say Red Book only, it's a bit hit and miss but to be honest few users seem bothered, just using the embedded apps.

Chromecast doesn’t stream MSQ, Yamaha does.

not that I think MSQ is worth having.

Gary

7 minutes ago, H20gna said:

Chromecast doesn’t stream MSQ, Yamaha does.

not that I think MSQ is worth having.

Gary

Do you mean that the Yamaha implementation of Chromecast streams MSQ? That would be interesting.