deadflagbrews

Streamer recommendations

As far as I know Yamaha’s MusicCast uses its own proprietary system.

Not sure about Yamaha receivers but my WXA-D10 can stream apps such as Spotify and Quboz from the MusicCast app or direct from from the original app i.e. Spotify or Qubuz.

Not even sure if that was unclear but thought I'd add it.

I've found the WXA-D10 to have a rock solid connection, though sometimes the third party apps themselves play up.

OK, This is where streaming becomes a bit complicated.

There are often different ways to skin the streaming cat. I use Node 2i in full streamer, dac, pre-amp mode into active speakers, about as uncomplicated a system as it is possible to get.

The functionality though is quite complex, so sometimes it is not immediately  obvious what is happening.

For example, I am playing music from the Tidal section in BluoS, a piece comes to mind which is not on Tidal, so I switch from BluoS to the Spotify desktop app, select the piece and Airplay it to the Node, all pretty seamless.

However the Spotify stream is low res, but it works, earlier in the thread we had Tidal on Chromecast limiting itself to Red Book even though hi res was available, it was only noticed because the dac gave a readout of the resolution.

So I wonder how often are we not getting the full resolution that we are paying for, without a dac that gives information on what is being processed, it is not always obvious.

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, radiant red said:

All I was saying is that Airplay and Chromecast are involved in the signal via WiFi

And all I’m saying, and have robustly evidenced, is that you’re wrong. Airplay is, Chromecast is not. Read the links.

@MGTOW is correct.

Super Wammer
58 minutes ago, MGTOW said:

OK, This is where streaming becomes a bit complicated.

There are often different ways to skin the streaming cat. I use Node 2i in full streamer, dac, pre-amp mode into active speakers, about as uncomplicated a system as it is possible to get.

The functionality though is quite complex, so sometimes it is not immediately  obvious what is happening.

For example, I am playing music from the Tidal section in BluoS, a piece comes to mind which is not on Tidal, so I switch from BluoS to the Spotify desktop app, select the piece and Airplay it to the Node, all pretty seamless.

However the Spotify stream is low res, but it works, earlier in the thread we had Tidal on Chromecast limiting itself to Red Book even though hi res was available, it was only noticed because the dac gave a readout of the resolution.

So I wonder how often are we not getting the full resolution that we are paying for, without a dac that gives information on what is being processed, it is not always obvious.

You don’t need to use AirPlay; use the native Spotify app via BluOS and it connects in the same way as Tidal.

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, H20gna said:

Chromecast doesn’t stream MSQ, Yamaha does.

not that I think MSQ is worth having.

Gary

Is that a typo for MQA, or have I misunderstood?

https://www.mqa.co.uk/how-it-works

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Edited by Nopiano
Double post

What sets AirPlay apart from pretty much every other streaming device/mechanism is that you're streaming *from* the device you're using to control, i.e. your iPhone/iPad/Mac computer.  This relies on said device to stream the audio directly to the AirPlay receiver, during which the audio gets resampled and whatnot.  It's horribly inefficient.

Whereas with ChromeCast and, I believe, all other streaming platforms, the app you're using to play the music simply says "Hello Mr Chromecast Audio, please play the following stream: https://www.spotify.com/stream/blah/srektydfygkhsrtsglsft". It's much more efficient and allows for a more faithful/bit-perfect reproduction.

40 minutes ago, hcanning said:

What sets AirPlay apart from pretty much every other streaming device/mechanism is that you're streaming *from* the device you're using to control, i.e. your iPhone/iPad/Mac computer.  This relies on said device to stream the audio directly to the AirPlay receiver, during which the audio gets resampled and whatnot.  It's horribly inefficient.

Whereas with ChromeCast and, I believe, all other streaming platforms, the app you're using to play the music simply says "Hello Mr Chromecast Audio, please play the following stream: https://www.spotify.com/stream/blah/srektydfygkhsrtsglsft". It's much more efficient and allows for a more faithful/bit-perfect reproduction.

Your correct with Chromecast, MusicCast etc the phone, pad etc is just a remote control no stream passes to or from it.

Gary

9 hours ago, TheFlash said:

You don’t need to use AirPlay; use the native Spotify app via BluOS and it connects in the same way as Tidal.

But don’t you have to pay a subscription to do that?  If you use the desktop version you can access the free site.

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

But don’t you have to pay a subscription to do that?  If you use the desktop version you can access the free site.

Yes you normally need a premium subscription on most streamers, but hey no adverts.

3 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Yes you normally need a premium subscription on most streamers, but hey no adverts.

Yes this is the issue with streamers, you need to pay subscriptions, one reason I did go from my computer for a while. No adverts if you block them. 

Super Wammer
34 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Yes this is the issue with streamers, you need to pay subscriptions, one reason I did go from my computer for a while. No adverts if you block them. 

If you want hi rez then you have to pay a subscription, Spotify and  Deezer, I think, do free with ads, but you cannot use streamers natively.

7 minutes ago, greybeard said:

If you want hi rez then you have to pay a subscription, Spotify and  Deezer, I think, do free with ads, but you cannot use streamers natively.

Yes but for occasional use you don’t want to be paying out a subscription. Say you have Qobuz but it does not have the album you want to try, would you pay £10 a month just for that? Deezer and Spotify have a free level with ads but on Deezer you can block the ads but not on Spotify.

• Upvote 1