deadflagbrews

Adding remote volume control

10 hours ago, t1no said:

Your amp has loads of room to install a motorised potentiometer.

You can see the volume control (100kohm) in the top left ..  it just sits on a PCB.

You could probably find a remote control kit with a decent motorised potentiometer for about £50.

And it could be made to be completely reversible.

1711446-54c74149-onkyo-p306rs-preamp-minty-original-box-packing.thumb.jpg.c65f248290229425fe851507700b61fd.jpg

I don’t mind having a bash, had to take a switch off the board, clean and re-solder, so don’t think it’s beyond me. Do you have a link to a decent remote pot at all please?

The one I bought a couple of years back had the pot on a separate small board that might have fitted in place of the pot in your amp, but it doesn't seem to be available any more. This one could be ok as the basis for a separate passive pre in its own box:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-LITE-MV02-4-way-input-Motorized-Remote-Volume-Control-/274079986048?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Try searching for "remote control potentiometer" on the 'bay, lots of variants, some with LCD displays.

3 hours ago, Tony_J said:

The one I bought a couple of years back had the pot on a separate small board that might have fitted in place of the pot in your amp, but it doesn't seem to be available any more. This one could be ok as the basis for a separate passive pre in its own box:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-LITE-MV02-4-way-input-Motorized-Remote-Volume-Control-/274079986048?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Try searching for "remote control potentiometer" on the 'bay, lots of variants, some with LCD displays.

That might be a bit big .. was thinking something more like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Assembeld-Remote-Volume-Board-HIFI-Preamp-Motor-ALPS-100K-Potentiometer/272553488977

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, t1no said:

Watch the quality on that one. The actual motorised pot is available (with the motor) for under £10 from RS and Mouser, so that might give you an idea that it isn't that wonderful. I also think it's linear, not log.

The motorised Alps Blue is about three times that much for the part.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, rabski said:

Watch the quality on that one. The actual motorised pot is available (with the motor) for under £10 from RS and Mouser, so that might give you an idea that it isn't that wonderful. I also think it's linear, not log.

Agreed .. it was just an example ... I was a bit dubious as to it being an ALPS pot for that price ... and from China ... but that's a separate thread :) 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rabski said:

I bought this one as liked the look of the remote to be honest. Looks like it also has the same pot, is it gonna be doggo?

69545F35-D69C-4115-BAD0-7C2716C67F9D.jpeg

Edited by deadflagbrews

5 hours ago, deadflagbrews said:

I bought this one as liked the look of the remote to be honest. Looks like it also has the same pot, is it gonna be doggo?

69545F35-D69C-4115-BAD0-7C2716C67F9D.jpeg

Only one way to find out, seeing as you've bought it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, rabski said:

Only one way to find out, seeing as you've bought it!

I was able to cancel the order thankfully. My pre amp is still playing up, so gonna ensure it can be repaired before spending money on it. I’ve a feeling the kit had the wrong spec pot anyway

• Upvote 1