Tom1980

1990s vs 2000s/2010s hifi comparison

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

I remember going into Comet on the high street in the early 80s. .

i remember Solovox speakers were the rage . Made in Denmark I think ..

the thing with a lot of older gear much like cars . You can tweet em ..

twin Webber’s that sort of thing 

Kindest regards 

Edited by bigrod
Misspelt

In the office I currently play CA CXN through Pioneer SX 750 into AE1s mk2.  All from different era but sounds surprisingly good together. 

• Like 1

On 04/07/2020 at 16:07, StingRay said:

Yes vinyl got poor around the late 70s, I gave up buying because of the poor quality. 

Wasn't that just to get you to buy CDs instead?

BTW I have heard some very good CDs (eg Buxtehude Membra Jesu Nostri on the Linn label), but others have been so bad as to be unlistenable (eg Traffic On The Road did an A/B with the LP and the CD, the latter sounded like it were put through a comb filter)

I'm convinced CD was invented by someone who wanted a better relationship with his cat. Think: you put an LP on, and the cat comes to sit on you. 20 mins later, you turf the cat off so you can rescue the stylus and start side 2. The cat sulks in the corner for 15 min, then forgives you and comes back to sit on you. 5 mins after that you turf him off again to rescue the stylus at the end of side 2. Doesn't happen with a CD, it just clicks off at the end and it usually lasts for 60-70 min. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

Wasn't that just to get you to buy CDs instead?

BTW I have heard some very good CDs (eg Buxtehude Membra Jesu Nostri on the Linn label), but others have been so bad as to be unlistenable (eg Traffic On The Road did an A/B with the LP and the CD, the latter sounded like it were put through a comb filter)

I'm convinced CD was invented by someone who wanted a better relationship with his cat. Think: you put an LP on, and the cat comes to sit on you. 20 mins later, you turf the cat off so you can rescue the stylus and start side 2. The cat sulks in the corner for 15 min, then forgives you and comes back to sit on you. 5 mins after that you turf him off again to rescue the stylus at the end of side 2. Doesn't happen with a CD, it just clicks off at the end and it usually lasts for 60-70 min. 

CDs in the 70s, no they came out much later. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, StingRay said:

CDs in the 70s, no they came out much later. 

You've still got to soften the market up so that your new product will catch on. LP quality started to drop noticeably after 1975, giving just over 5 years before CD was first touted in the early 1980s.

More specific edit: the BBC says CD was invented in 1979. Other sites say it was first marketed in Japan in Nov 1982 and in Europe in March 1983. Whether that means that nobody had ever conceived of CD before 1979 is not clear, I think that the theory of digitisation/discretisation existed before then, it just took James Russel (was he a cat lover?) to come up with the product design, and then Sony & Phillips to publish the Red Book standard a year later. You still need a while to discredit the standard LP that everyone had got used to since the late 50s in order to get them to accept the financial outlay on new players & new media ...

Edited by audio_PHIL_e
being more specific

On 06/07/2020 at 19:55, Lurch said:

@Klassik I notice that you use the term London to describe shoddy/low quality stuff. Is this a regular American term for shite stuff or just a personal one? If a regular term do you know how our capital city came to be used in such a way? 

Just a guess but could it come from rhyming slang 'London City'  shitty.

Super Wammer
On 03/07/2020 at 13:22, Tom1980 said:

Hi all, 

What is your oppinion on hi fi equipment from 1990s in comparison to more modern equipment. For some time now I use Marantz PM11s2 which I am quite happy with. I presume next step would be to go towards PM10 but how about something older but higher quality e.g. Mark Levinson 335 and 38 combo?

Cheers

Some fantastic products available in the 90s that you have to look for second hand now .. I think that you could build a system with 1990s products every bit as you can from today's .. except when it comes to streaming and DACs all that was in its infancy back then.

I cannot understand the love of Levinson products .. he left the company in 1984 - I have not sampled products after that date but those before had nothing to give (and often fell short) of products from Phase Linear in the 80s and of course our Tim's EAR products (the 509s are still made today).  Threshold stuff at that time was cheaper sand sounded better to my ears .. and dare I say it - my dear old Hafler DH200 I would gladly put up against any ML amp.   I am not a Naim lover but compared to 80s levinson give me a Naim anytime.  The other American company were making better amps (McIntosh) 

Some of the best stuff was not seen over here - no one stocks FM Acoustics Amps .. and i am sure there is much from other countries that never made it to these shores at all.

I've heard about ML first time in the 90s in my teenage days, it was 33... series. Back then to own ML / Krell and Mcaintosh was like a dream ( similar to own e.g. a Ferrari ). Since then a lot of hifi gear went through my life but I always had this thought in my head that ML stuff is one of the best. I presume this was one of the reasons why I decided to buy it 👍. I think, probably same as many people, that £8k transistor pre/power amp combo from 90s should still sound very good comparing to £3k modern integrated.

On 03/07/2020 at 14:16, Tom1980 said:

In the 90s when I was a teenager reading hifi magazines

We all did silly things when we were teenagers.

On 03/07/2020 at 15:18, Tom1980 said:

Paul McGowan said in one of his videos

You are still a teenager at heart.

:D

12 minutes ago, tuga said:

You are still a teenager at heart.

I agree 😃

Over the years I went through many stages from cheap stereo through complex DIY, now playing with old and new toys 👍 luckily my coleagues at work feel the same about hifi so we have plenty to talk about and listen to during the day.

20200729_074547_HDR.jpg

• Like 2