firefuocco

Ripping my CD collection to FLAC - any advice before I start?

Posted (edited)

I have about 600 CDs to rip to FLAC.  It will be quite a big job so I want to get it done right from the start.

I don't have a dedicated ripper machine.  I am thinking of buying dBpoweramp cd ripper and using my Win10 laptop.  I like the idea of doing simultaneous rips as I would like to rip to FLAC & 320k MP3 at same time. 

Should I consider using Exact Audio Copy instead?

Any advice will be appreciated.  Will the metadata be okay using dBpoweramp?  I don't like the idea of stuffing around fixing problems.

Last time I ripped was about 10+ years ago when ripping half the collection to AAC for my Ipod. It seemed like quite a big job. These were done only at 256k so the 320k MP3 files will replace the AAC.

Edited by firefuocco
typo

Hi David

I would suggest using dBpoweramp.

Look through your CD collection, identify a compilation cd, perhaps an orchestral music one and say a standard, rock, pop or whatever.

Rip these first and inspect the meta data (there are numerous configurations to choose from).

If these are acceptable, use your playback software to identify any problems in adding the files to the libraries, try making a playlist and finally, listen to how they sound.

If satisfactory, go ahead and periodically check one or two.

atb

ronnie

• Like 1

Super Wammer

+1 for dBpoweramp from me too... and that's from somebody who's used to use EAC but much prefers the simplicity of the former... which also automatically pulls the correct metadata too :) 

+2 for dBpoweramp, very easy to use, does a great job and inexpensive. What more do you want.

Nothing wrong with EAC, it works and can be configured to do pretty much anything the alternatives do. Just not as a default. It’s problem is the open sourcing of the tagging software. My preference is to use EAC for its technical configurability on the ripping front and pay for good tagging software. But that is simply because I like EAC, and if dBpoweramp were where I started it would probably be my preferred option. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

My advice would be dBpoweramp as well and an offer for you . I have a spare Iomega CD/RW unit that plugs in via USB . Difference is that its fastest speed is 52 times and it normally rips a cd in just under 2minutes . If you only have one or two to do this is not important but for 600 it can save you lots of time.

If you would like to have it on extended loan then PM me and we exchange details . It is currently with another Wammer who has now finsished his ripping and I can get him to send it  to you . As I say this a spare and i have that i use most days here so not worries about how long you need it take your time . The rips are spot on and there are very few discs that i have not been able to deal with .

1 hour ago, bencat said:

My advice would be dBpoweramp as well and an offer for you . I have a spare Iomega CD/RW unit that plugs in via USB . Difference is that its fastest speed is 52 times and it normally rips a cd in just under 2minutes . If you only have one or two to do this is not important but for 600 it can save you lots of time.

If you would like to have it on extended loan then PM me and we exchange details . It is currently with another Wammer who has now finsished his ripping and I can get him to send it  to you . As I say this a spare and i have that i use most days here so not worries about how long you need it take your time . The rips are spot on and there are very few discs that i have not been able to deal with .

That is a very kind offer.  Mine is read max 24x.  I will PM you.  

Thanks for the replies.  I've got a trial version of dBpoweramp cd ripper.  Have had a bit of a play and have got a lot of questions I will try & work out before reaching out for further help.

Cheers

And another for dbPoweramp. And it checks that the copy is bit perfect automatically so you know it is a great copy.

If you want speed, ease of use and convenience then dBpoweramp is unbeatable.  If you want 100% bit-perfect rips, EAC is better.  But not so easy to set up.

Also consider if there's any processing you want to be applied to the tracks when ripping (although this can usually be added later, it's an extra step that you could avoid with a bit of planning). In my case, I always rip everything with ReplayGain tagging applied, which is an extra option you have to enable in DBPoweramp.

Having used EAC and dBPoweramp extensively and having recently ripped a similar number of cd’s the small financial outlay for dB is worth it unless you have masochistic tendencies. 

If you can beg borrow or steal a proper desktop computer with two or more fast cd drives in it you’ll be even better placed to complete the task without wishing you were paper cutting your own tongue instead. 

Finally make sure you back the entire lot up on at least two physically separate hard drives.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tw99 said:

Also consider if there's any processing you want to be applied to the tracks when ripping (although this can usually be added later, it's an extra step that you could avoid with a bit of planning). In my case, I always rip everything with ReplayGain tagging applied, which is an extra option you have to enable in DBPoweramp.

I agree. One of my hates after ripping all my stuff was having to turn the volume down before pressing PLAY. I got so used to doing this that the first minute of any album was spoiled by messing with the volume: up-a-bit, up-a-bit-more, down-a-bit.  Passing each album through dbpoweramp's replaygain doesn't alter the volume of the rip - so the original rip is untouched. It just writes a tag that instructs your player to play it so many dBs louder or quieter than average. Result: I press PLAY and am confident that every album is as loud as the previous. Also individual tracks are relatively louder or softer as the engineer intended.

Super Wammer
On 07/07/2020 at 19:33, meninblack said:

If you want speed, ease of use and convenience then dBpoweramp is unbeatable.  If you want 100% bit-perfect rips, EAC is better.  But not so easy to set up.

Can you explain why you think this is the case. The initial burst rip that dBp does checks the accurip database, and if it's a match then it's 100%, and if it doesn't, as long as you configure it to perform low level checking it's going to do the same actions as EAC. The big advantage is that it only does it on discs that don't have an Accurip match.