What mains powered DAC/Amp can replace my Mojo to drive HD650

My Mojo sounds good but I only use it at home and get a bit sick of recharging it.  A mains powered device seems the best solution.

What are the options for similar money to the Mojo?

Thanks

Can the mojo not be run plugged in so you don't keep having to charge and discharge it?

1 minute ago, Lawrence001 said:

Can the mojo not be run plugged in so you don't keep having to charge and discharge it?

It can be but it is not recommended.  It gets hot enough when running on battery.  The extra heat will most likely shorten the battery life.  I'm on my second battery now so want to be very careful with it. 

how much is that then ? 

2 hours ago, hifinutt said:

how much is that then ? 

about £400

A bit surprised there are no recommendations.  Perhaps there aren't a lot of products that can compare to the Mojo at the same price point.

I think there are but people are being a bit shy in recommending them!

Personally I've gone over to Chinese DACs recently, with a few upgrades they can sound very good and offer excellent value for money if you can seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Look at any of the THX amps. My SMSL sp200 is great, powerful, neutral and pairs well with my Sennheiser HD 6xx's. There are several companies using this chipset but most reviewers find minimal differences between them. I'm using my Linn MDSM and Oppo 105D as sources, feeding it via RCA, and it improves on both of these device's internal headphone stages alone in my opinion. It's way under your budget too! What would you use for a source DAC?

Edited by Jail4CEOs2

Of the Chinese DACs I use the one with the best headphone amp is the Zhaolu D2.5 with the upgraded amp. The 2.0 is good too if you can find it. The Tianyun Zero DAC is also no slouch. Don't know why, I haven't come across any more recent ones I'd recommend but I'm sure they exist.

Have you considered disconnecting the battery? Google “chord mojo disconnect battery” and see if that helps.

Not something I’ve tried yet, but it’s on my to-do list.

• Like 1

Schiit make a number of DACs and head amps, probably also combos in this price range. UK Schiit has no stock currently.

Arcam rHead is a nice headphone amp if you can source one. I think there may also be a combined head amp/DAC. 

Rega and Project make headphone amps, add a DAC from somewhere like Schiit. I think Cambridge Audio do similar.

Lots of options....

Peachtree iDecco. Great all rounder, with good headphone circuit. You get free dac/power amp free with it!

Peachtree iDecco. Great all rounder, with good headphone circuit. You get free dac/power amp free with it!
Don't tell me, you also know where one can be bought from at a very reasonable price

I'm another fan of the Chinese DAC/Amp setups, sound great for the money and cheap enough to experiment with.  Currently listening to a Topping DX3 Pro and very impressive it is as well. It can also be used as a pre-amp so if you don't want to use the headphone amp in it you add another standalone amp if you want to.

I paid 185 euros including shipping for an APPJ PA1502A valve headphone amp, which drives my HD580s and other headphones very well. You can upgrade the valves that come with it. I use with a Hugo 1 as a DAC, but I’m sure it would work well with budget iFi or Topping DACs.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.