Paulssurround

Adding Correct Toe-In Rotation Angle To SOv2 Is Critical To Success

23 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Didn‘t bother to check your diagrams

Thats’s your fault, not mine.

23 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

but doesn‘t look easier to me than using the angle (confirmed by your error)

Well, my error would have a been a bug on Linn’s side. All I would have to do is measuring the distance to the front wall of a second speaker reference point instead of having to measure or calculate the angle. 

24 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

and seems to assume rectangular shapes

If you’d checked my diagrams, you might would have noticed that this isn’t true.

Posted (edited)
On 15/07/2020 at 01:14, BB1 said:

What surprises me is that SO2 requires to enter the toe-in value in angular degree. How would one measure it? With a geometry set square? Wouldn’t it be much easier to just have to enter the distance between the speaker’s housing rear outer and inner corner to the rear wall?

Ok, than do your inner/outer rear (or front) corner approach with this speaker shape :D

And of course the rotation is dependent on the reference point . Just assume you fix the center of this object and rotate the form by let's say 45 degrees vs. you fix the top corner and rotate by 45 degrees. The result is different, in the first case the top corner has moved, in the second it didn't.

Bild1.jpg.716466f48725535bf108ccac10f8b20a.jpg

Edited by Baba Yaga

Besides the fact that a speaker with this shape has no room at all for speaker chassis on it’s front side, I’d assume that even such a speaker would have at least 3 three spikes, with two of them located at a rectangular angle to the speaker axis, no matter if they are nearer or farther away from the the speakers front. In order to prevent tipping over, it’s also required that one of these two spikes is located much closer to the outer side of the speaker, and the other one much closer to its inner side. By measuring the distances to the front wall of these two spikes and knowing the distance between them, I I(or SO2) can easily calculate the toe-in value for such a speaker…

1 hour ago, Baba Yaga said:

And of course the rotation is dependent on the reference point . Just assume you fix the center of this object and rotate the form by let's say 45 degrees vs. you fix the top corner and rotate by 45 degrees. The result is different, in the first case the top corner has moved, in the second it didn't.

Yes, ... or no. If you apply the rotation first and after that determine the reference point (upper outer corner or whatever) position in the room the system is set. I believe that is what SO2 expect.

Posted (edited)

@BB1 

Well, so you are (implicitly) confirming that using inner/outer rear or front corners is not working for all speaker shapes.
There will however be speaker-specific workarounds by using different elements, e. g. spike positions or whatever to which I would agree.

But if I were in Linn shoes I would prefer an universal approach that will work no matter what the speaker looks like and which is easy to explain to their customers. Which the angle does. So IMHO it is easy to understand why they chose it.

Edited by Baba Yaga

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

I found the idea of using the Compass app in my iPhone quite adequate, promoted by a suggestion a few pages back.  I’d entered toe in of 25 degrees but I measured it at 20, hence have updated SO accordingly.  

I can’t honestly say there was an obvious difference to my ears, but my speakers to have a nice smooth off-axis response, so are probably less particular than some. 

Incidentally, I think havIng plus for one speaker and minus for the other is needlessly pedantic, though it’s strictly correct.  

Edited by Nopiano
  • Upvote 1