How to get into an epos es22 speaker? Its a mystery.

eddie-baby

I know there's not that many epos es22 owners / modifiers on here but thought I would ask anyway.

These seem to be the one of the worst speakers to get into it seems.  

I not sure if they were just factory sealed this way but there appears to be no easy way to get into them without causing damage.

They dont have crossovers as such but they are tri-wire configuration and I have no intension of ever using them that way. I want to combine the input terminals so I can just use one set of plugs. The way its configured now is just unpractical unless you've got 3 sets of wires going into them. You cant even bridge them. I have concocted many DIY jumpers over the years but they are often clunky and I just want one set of terminals, and if I want to change wire as well its just simple. But so far mission impossible :) 

The 11s 12s were easy and were just bolted through and the bass drivers were moulded to the front plate, which did make things very awkward for replacements but at least they were easy to get into.

50089948751_0b657a076e_o.jpg

50090187907_7a1625ed1a_o.jpg

50089376803_c93405bb80_o.jpg

50089376798_51e2f464b2_o.jpg

Hi, Can you remove those rings which cover the drivers ?

They may be concieling the fixing screws ?

James

7 minutes ago, Hifimad1 said:

Hi, Can you remove those rings which cover the drivers ?

They may be concieling the fixing screws ?

James

Tried that. Very firmly glued in place and if it's anythings like the 11 or 12s part of the front baffle :(

Could be done I'm sure but then we are in to wrecking things territory :)

Nice speakers...I had the ES30s for a while before I replaced them with the ATC SCM40s, and I also have the ES14s bought in 1990.

Do let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

Yes, love the 22s and the 14s and 11s as it happens among many of the es range. Not sure what I'll do yet. I don't think it's an easy job so may hold out. The DIY site may have a solution. I've tried there as well. Just think its a design problem though gaining access was never intended perhaps. 

Can't help with opening them up, but you can get stackable banana plugs, as shown below.

You could make 2 short cable sets to connect the lower to mid and mid to top sockets and then plug your speaker cable into the back of any of them to make the connection to the amp.

Just an idea. :)

banana.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cynix said:

Can't help with opening them up, but you can get stackable banana plugs, as shown below.

You could make 2 short cable sets to connect the lower to mid and mid to top sockets and then plug your speaker cable into the back of any of them to make the connection to the amp.

Just an idea. :)

banana.jpg

Thanks ideas are always welcome and worth a try. I have some stackable plugs here and have tried a variety of different type over the years. The only trouble is with some of the cable I got its real thick and heavyweight making up little sets do do as you say can become cumbersome and a bit awkward to fit and to a tidy job even. So Id rather run just single wire to everything these days, but with the inputs on these speakers thats not as simple. 

What does the underside look like?

Behind the grille grommets, you should find the screws that hold the front baffle in place. This should sort it. Mission were the same.

Sticky Velcro I mean.. I think I’m right but maybe I’m wrong lol

Edited by radiant red
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Behind the grille grommets, you should find the screws that hold the front baffle in place. This should sort it. Mission were the same.

Sticky Velcro I mean.. I think I’m right but maybe I’m wrong lol

That sticky velcro or it's actually the strong stuff equivalent can't remember it's name now is only there because I stuck it there. I made some funky retro boutique grills for the front and it holds them in place. Theres nothing under those.

10 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

That sticky velcro or it's actually the strong stuff equivalent can't remember it's name now is only there because I stuck it there. I made some funky retro boutique grills for the front and it holds them in place. Theres nothing under those.

Maybe an email to Epos is in order. I find it hard to believe there is no access option for repairs etc

2 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Maybe an email to Epos is in order. I find it hard to believe there is no access option for repairs etc

Apparently after some searching even that has been done before with not much joy. These are near Robin Marshall days things have changed quite a bit since then. I wouldnt even think theres remotely any sign of parts there for then now either. Not even remnants from the days they were built :(