How to get into an epos es22 speaker? Its a mystery.

eddie-baby

Nice as in authentic retro with the Audiolab pre/power?

Hi,  did you ever solve your issue?, I have a pair of ES 25''s,  I think all the ES range were built the same way, the only way to access the drivers and internals is to remove the front black trims surrounding the drivers, I didn't like the look of them and wanted to expose the drive units to make the speakers more conventional looking. They can be removed but it's not easy as they are fixed on with adhesive, I started with a Stanley knife, very carefully  scored all the way around the edge and then got a blade and gently got behind the plate,  you can then very slowly remove the trim and expose the drive units, this can cause minor damage to the cabinets but after some gentle sanding and some satin  black paint I much preferred how they looked. I still have the trims and they can be re- fixed if needs be. Hope this helps. 

His thanks, I know what you mean about the tri-wire business but the difference in sound quality is worth it, I have an audiolab 8000p driving the mid and bass and an 8000s driving the tweeters. My particular 25''s were the actual pair that were featured in Hi fi world magazine for the launch of the es range in 1990 and we're first prize in a slogan competition, which I won!, second prize was a pair of 14''s which I actually would have prefered !. And would swap the 25' for!. I also have a pair of 11's in a second system, rotel pre and power with rega appollo  cd.

20210718_125439_Richtone(HDR).jpg

• Like 1

Nice I often wondered who won those competitions. They were great giving the demo gear away after, I'd have been tempted to build up a nice collection of high end gear if I ran the company!

PS what was your slogan??

The slogan was to reflect the epos ethos of simplicity in their approach to speaker building, eg. No complicated crossovers, in house design and build of thier own  drive units etc. So I submitted a slogan which read, using the four letters of EPOS....Evolutionary-Pure-Outstandingly-Simple. Which I couldn't believe won me a £1505 pair of speakers!!!.I also won a pair of NEAT speakers in another hifi world comp. again for another unmemorable slogan. 🤔

• Like 3

The slogan was to reflect the epos ethos of simplicity in their approach to speaker building, eg. No complicated crossovers, in house design and build of thier own  drive units etc. So I submitted a slogan which read, using the four letters of EPOS....Evolutionary-Pure-Outstandingly-Simple. Which I couldn't believe won me a £1505 pair of speakers!!!.I also won a pair of NEAT speakers in another hifi world comp. again for another unmemorable slogan.
Are you one of those people that gets paid thousands of pounds to dream up bland meaningless names for companies like Centrica, Consignia, Aviva etc?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

^^^^^^^^^^^

Or maybe just a lucky sod. :D

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Red Lucas said:

The slogan was to reflect the epos ethos of simplicity in their approach to speaker building, eg. No complicated crossovers, in house design and build of thier own  drive units etc. So I submitted a slogan which read, using the four letters of EPOS....Evolutionary-Pure-Outstandingly-Simple. Which I couldn't believe won me a £1505 pair of speakers!!!.I also won a pair of NEAT speakers in another hifi world comp. again for another unmemorable slogan. 🤔

To this day I am still yet to find a speaker to match some of the magic, delicacy and detail that I feel epos produce when listening to audio reproduction. I often wonder if it was perhaps down to the way their approach of having minimalist crossovers basically nothing in line with the mid and bass drivers, and just a capacitor on the tweeter as a high pass only to stop it frying itself with low frequency. I often wonder about pulling crossovers out of other speakers to see if they'd improve but obviously the drive units and box design would have to be well designed to not sound wayward and roll off comfortably and complement each other, as that is what good crossover design aims to do. Epos to me just do it exceptionally without having any.

The sunken 3 way terminals to me are a pain though, wish they had just put normal binding posts on the back. Or at least an ease of access panel instead of making it like a sealed cabinet where you can't get in without taking trims off which are not meant to come off. That bits a stupid design if you ask me. 

I think you are correct with your assumption about crossover-less speakers Eddie, I'm using NVA Cubes, another minimalist design, and exceptionally musical, also a speaker I would love to hear is the Reference 3A Divergent – Home (reference3a.com), remember reading about them all those years ago in HiFi+.  I do regret selling my Epos ES14's when moving up to Obelisk's, would have been nice to have a listen to them again.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, antonio66 said:

I think you are correct with your assumption about crossover-less speakers Eddie, I'm using NVA Cubes, another minimalist design, and exceptionally musical, also a speaker I would love to hear is the Reference 3A Divergent – Home (reference3a.com), remember reading about them all those years ago in HiFi+.  I do regret selling my Epos ES14's when moving up to Obelisk's, would have been nice to have a listen to them again.

There is certainly something about it that you don't get with other speakers, less is more. Of course there's no even talking to some, just the other day I was put in my place by someone who said the crossover is THEE most important part of any speaker🙄 I just said whatever. The fact is if there was one way to do a speaker we'd all have speakers that were the same not the infinite amount of variations we have now. 

14s are wonderful 👌

• Like 2

I  guess the crossover is THE most important part of the speaker if that's the way you go when designing a speaker, others might agree with the KISS principle:  Is it possible to make a speaker like, for example those big Wilson's?

3 hours ago, antonio66 said:

I  guess the crossover is THE most important part of the speaker if that's the way you go when designing a speaker, others might agree with the KISS principle:  Is it possible to make a speaker like, for example those big Wilson's?

Unless you only have one drive unit?

On 20/07/2021 at 09:53, eddie-baby said:

To this day I am still yet to find a speaker to match some of the magic, delicacy and detail that I feel epos produce when listening to audio reproduction.

I used to have the ES30s and upgraded to ATC SCM40s, so may be give ATCs a listen :-)

"How to get into an epos es22 speaker?"

A bit late coming to the party but, as Austin Powers would say, "you can start by buying it a drink"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1