I've made a thing!!

Jules_S

I also made speaker suspension units using the Nobsound spring units. As I have now sold all my kit the units are available should anyone be interested PM me

Speaker Suspension b.jpg

Speaker Suspension a.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Sounds like the design would be much improved by boring out the holes that the springs sit in so they don't rub...wouldn't be hard to do. You wouldn't bore them out to the full depth, of course, so the ends of the springs would stay located in the centre of the bores.

May get them out of the drawer and have a tinker.

Possibly a lump of silicon grease in each hole would shut up the rubbing as well, but it would end up messy.

• Like 1

67235879_SmartSelect_20200917-104416_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.b437e65c3b817c243aa3bdcd67cb351c.jpg

Super Wammer

I use these spring units under my valve amp, adjusting the number of springs to balance the uneven weight distribution as Newlash describes. They are clever things but mechanically noisey, so I can see why Richard would struggle directly under a turntable. For speakers, particularly heavier ones, I would still firmly recommend extending the DIY and going for properly spec'd individual springs from one of the online retailers and building a plinth system around them.  For lighter equipment loads, the vintage aircraft spring units I have posted about before, kick the Nobsound units into the weeds.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 17/11/2021 at 10:47, Madvinyljunkie II said:

They look great Jules👍  Can I just ask are the tiles bonded to the sound damping material so each section is solid?

Apologies for the delayed reply, I've only just seen the resurrection of my thread. Thee's no bonding, no, I have simply layered the tiles and the damping. To be honest the weight of the tile(s) themselves and 43kg of speaker tends to hold them in place 😁

I have no doubt that the Nobsounds can be bettered, but at a price. This was a little experiment I wanted to do to find out for myself if isolation rather than coupling was a route worth investigating (the topic was quite hot at the time, and has been again recently). I couldn't justify the cost of Townshend platforms for the purpose of just trying something out, and this was a far cheaper way to have a go.

I agree with all who have said that the Nobsounds do creak - yes they do.How much of an issue that is at a microphonic level I'm not sure - certainly this isn't an audible noise in normal use. I can't imagine how using them under an amp would create a great deal of noise, although probably if it was was going to cause any issues at all I'd expect a valve amp to be more succeptible. Richard I see that you mentioned you could hear the rubbing being transmitted when used under a TT - what was causing the deck to rock so much to create that noise, I wonder?

I will be dismantling these platforms now anyway, as the tiles are too small to fit under my new ML Summits, where a more rectangular shape will be needed. I'm thinking of trying some really thick butcher's block-type timber in place of the tiles, to see if that works too.

I also note a recent posting on the ML forum where someone is looking to use the Isoacoustics Gaia II feet underneath Summits, and I might be tempted to try those out, although they are still a huge price jump from my home-grown platform. Still not sure I can justify Townshend though...

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Wrap the springs in plumbers ptfe tape and that should stop any creaking