Psilonaught

Anyone got experience of higher end, large Magnepans??

They look magnificent and I should imagine sound likewise. I like the sound, or should I say look, of the red.

As for rear walls my speakers and I each have a rear wall but aren’t in agreement on which wall it is, but we do agree on what is the front wall!

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

I'll be adding a Behringer Nx3000 for bass panel duties.........

Be interesting to hear your feedback on how much fan noise comes from this amp 

Super Wammer

Definitely gloss red. Absolutely. Although I appreciate that I may be a tad biased, given that this is my kitchen (excuse the mess)...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cb9.thumb.jpg.3512725125266474965c57256e73309b.jpg

Really looking forward to hearing your views on the new Maggies once they are dialled-in and singing. I can only imagine what sort of scale they are going to bring to music.

Edited by Jules_S

1 minute ago, Jules_S said:

Definitely gloss red. Absolutely. Although I appreciate that I may be a tad biased, given that this is my kitchen (excuse the mess)...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cb9.thumb.jpg.3512725125266474965c57256e73309b.jpg

What mess?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

56 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

56 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

Thanks for all help with the Behringer unit yesterday. 

I've decided to try the nx3000 as I can get 1k @ 4 ohms with a single class d unit. The fan is easy to swap for a silent one. 

Next purchase is a decent 100w plus valve power amp for high/mids, but they all seem extremely expensive from my limited research. Don't want to spend more that £4-5k.

Any ideas anyone??

1 hour ago, Psilonaught said:

Next purchase is a decent 100w plus valve power amp for high/mids, but they all seem extremely expensive from my limited research. Don't want to spend more that £4-5k.

Any ideas anyone??

Pretty much what I have been looking for as well. There is a CJ Premier 140 in the classifieds and the Octave amps also intrigue me. I am also looking into the Radford style amps that David Coe (Juancho / AD Audio) will shortly be offering.

Edited by lostwin

Initial impression is wow. Really wow.

As I had hoped, these continue with the utterly natural and uncoloured presentation than only panel (in my experience) can provide. These are even more so than my 1.7s. These aren't showy or "hifi" they just take you right into a live recording. Music is about creating an illusion of being there, and if every note, instrument and vocal sounds 100% real, that its job done. That famous micron thin ribbon tweeter is so so so sweet and butter smooth. 

I also note that these huge speakers actually take down the vertical sound stage slightly. That is always a criticism of maggies, where everything sounds 10ft high. It really helps with the illusion. Interesting.

This is using the passive crossover, these are supposed to sound a while lot better still active :nerves:

It's been a while since I laughed out loud about a hifi moment #uck me!

• Like 4

it appears the Audio Research VS115 is in budget, and it is balanced. Any good?

What about Nord Acoustics?:geek:

I can't believe you need 100W for mids and treble. I would have thought a good SE 300b amp would handle mid+hi. You can add a small transformer on the input to convert balanced to SE or just use one half of the signal. You should at least audition a 300b amp in the system since it may have the best sound. You can get wonderful mids on things like vocals which really matter - push-pull flattens the magic. You could also go up to an 845 amp for more grunt. Personally I don't like high voltage amps, but as long as you don't poke around inside you're probably OK. 

Here's a very left-field suggestion. The best amplifier I ever heard that wasn't a tube amp was a home-built SIT design - single ended transistor pure Class A. Here's one you can actually buy. I would expect this to be really special. 

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/07/15/review-first-watt-sit-3-amplifier/

https://www.stereophile.com/content/first-watt-sit-3-power-amplifier

Here's one for £2.7K

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154032639133

Edited by pmcuk

I use 18 watts of 845 SET for my midrange but that’s on traditional drivers ...do panels need more grunt ?

• Like 1

Super Wammer