IKEA, The Audiophile Store?

8 hours ago, zee9 said:

Just added aptitligs with gunstigs courtesy of Paul’s advice. Already had the gunstigs between skeets and granite slabs. Also in between the granite slabs

f000696faeb4430abe1f09617b24049b.jpg

Hi ya Zee, 

How well did this work?

A £5.99 bamboo chopping board repurposed into a new Thorens TD150 plinth.

IMG_6438JPG.jpg

• Like 6

Some DIY desk top speaker IKEA bamboo chopping boards and carbon fibre

11179516.jpeg

• Like 1

IKEA expanding pot drying holder hung vertically for storing headphones

8589986.jpg

• Like 2

I do hear a clear difference in the treble right away and to me the frequencies sound more separated. Don’t know if I like that yet or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, akamatsu said:

That's about 1,000 LPs. I had the 3x3 Expedit when I was in Austin.

Actually, if I used it all for record storage it should handle about 1750 LPs (assuming singles).  I do have some art pieces, a few books and a photo or two in some of the upper sections reducing the capacity.  But I also have a 3 x 3 cabinet in another room full of records, that I believe came from Target.  And, of course, the numerous records that are on the floor leaning against things.  With over 2000 LPs in my collection it does take up a fair amount of space to store them.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, zee9 said:

Just added aptitligs with gunstigs courtesy of Paul’s advice. Already had the gunstigs between skeets and granite slabs. Also in between the granite slabs

479943f8f07b6a6599780a6f2b27e2f7.jpg

be4148012d298bc2f5d283843d153b7a.jpg
f000696faeb4430abe1f09617b24049b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks fantastic. Great job!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamieMcC said:

A £5.99 bamboo chopping board repurposed into a new Thorens TD150 plinth.

IMG_6438JPG.jpg

5 hours ago, JamieMcC said:

Some DIY desk top speaker IKEA bamboo chopping boards and carbon fibre

11179516.jpeg

4 hours ago, JamieMcC said:

IKEA expanding pot drying holder hung vertically for storing headphones

8589986.jpg

Wow!!! That is brilliant thinking, outside the box. I didn’t see that coming     

Great job.

The IKEA butcher blocks look like they would make a superb rigid plinth and speaker cabinet.

On 17/07/2020 at 17:38, Tony_J said:

I find that an IKEA wine glass full of Cabernet/Merlot is an indispensable audio accessory...

Alternatively, fill it with a suitably cryogenically treated Sauvignon Blanc...:geek:

On 17/07/2020 at 22:17, ThomasOK said:

I have the 5 x 5 IKEA Expedit for record storage and it is quite good.  It was the predecessor to the Kallax.

I'm using some smaller Kallax myself to store the Jazz, and Classik LPs. Rock/Pop is still in orange and black plastic containers, which is more appropriate to pop culture.

The Expedit was built more sturdy than the Kallax. I don't recommend to go for a 5 x 5 Kallax to store records. There are reports of collapsing 5 x 5 Kallax record shelves on the web.

The trouble with IKEA furniture apparently is, that they start a new series with small numbers, and higher quality. Later, while they scale up the numbers, they scale down the quality.

A former colleague of mine at Kiel University used to have a very early Klippan sofa. Rumours had it, that it was manufactured by Rolf Benz, an iconic German furniture company. I cannot prove the truth of this, but the built quality of this particular old Klippan was outstanding!

Edited by TooManyCatweazles

In the early year I used the IKEA „Axamo“ for my LP12. 

I store my records in IKEA „Expedit“. Unfortunately they don‘t sound good, so I have to move them in an extra room. The picture shows 1/3 of my records (yes, I‘m very proud of my collection 9_9)

B8EC7DF8-9AC0-4D99-ACEC-88C9CEE99B08.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben Webster said:

yes, I‘m very proud of my collection

As well you might be. How long would it take you to listen to them all just once? And what would that cost in Kandid replacements? My mind's gone all boggly ... :) 

Incidentally, is that a record cleaning machine on the table at the far right of the picture? If so, which RCM are you using?

David

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

If so, which RCM are you using

It‘s a Keith Monks Mk. II on a IKEA „Lack“ Table.

Edited by Ben Webster