System For Kitchen

AntA

I would appreciate some advice on all in one systems. My son is considering buying a Naim Mu-so Qb for use in his kitchen and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of them. Are they worth the money or is there a better alternative? The maximum he wants to spend is up to 1K. He needs Spotify connectivity, optical input and not existential but nice to have CD capability,

Thanks for any advice and opinions.

I used the same model in my office and loved it. I didn’t compare it to anything else but I was very pleased indeed. Naim are good for WiFi and their app. 

I sold mine on eBay (went Luxman Harbeth separates instead) and you may get a bargain especially at the moment. 

The market is awash with wireless speakers. The Muso QB is probably one of the better ones (I say probably as it gets good reviews and I've only listened to the Muso but didn't much like it). I think its biggest fault is that it can't be paired to another QB as a stereo pair if you had room for such a setup. But that may not be a problem for your son and the single speaker may suffice.

If there is room for a pair of stereo wireless speakers? I would be thinking of something like a Ruark MR1 with a Google chromecast audio (CCA)  as source. You could consider a Teechnics Ottava C50 for about £400 which you can pair in stereo as well. Or if you don't mind trawling eBay, a pair of Samsung VL3 + CCA (£150), a single Samsung VL5 + CCA (£200), a pair of Panasonic GA10 or Denon Heos 1 (£150-£250). If you want to spend a bit more then an ex demo Dynaudio Xeo 2 can be had for about £600-650

Edited by t1no
  • Like 1

PS ... When you say CD compatibility do you mean an integrated CD player or just inputs for a CD player? If it's a  integrated player you are after then a Ruark R5 might fit the bill ... I think you can get them for betwen £750 ex dem to £999). Alternative a cheap CD player linked to any of the above speakers would also work.

Edited by t1no

Make sure he plugs in the correct kettle lead or it’ll sound shit. 

• Haha 3

I would not recommend putting any hifi kit, other than the speakers, in the kitchen - it is amazing how the grease and grime from cooking gets into electrical stuff .. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Does anyone remember the Harman/Kardon MaestroKitchen from about a decade ago?  The integrated kitchen stereo system that used kitchen cabinets as speakers?  :o

Harman/Kardon audio, well known for its aesthetic designs and luxury looks meant for the high-end consumers, in collaboration with Verburg Audio, now brings its musical excellence to your kitchen. The MaestroKitchen 100 system will enable you to enjoy your music just as you like it with high performance audio in the kitchen.

MaestroKitchen 100 offers concealed audio performance in a fully built-in system, in which the speakers are entirely out of sight. In other words, with MaestroKitchenTM 100 there are no cables, loudspeakers or devices in which dust can accumulate. Gone are conventional speakers. Instead, thanks to the innovative system, the kitchen cabinet doors themselves are the speakers. The built-in computer/amplifier features a tastefully-designed display in stylish black glass, measuring 60 x 8 cm. This display, built into the kitchen cabinet, features a small information screen, the size of an iPod screen, both modest in appearance, yet easily readable from a distance.

The integrated docking station allows you to connect to your music device and play your favorite music via radio, CD, iPod, mp3 and phone. The system can easily be operated via the glass display or remote control unit. And once everything is connected up, the system can easily be operated via the glass display or remote control unit.

This unique, high audio performance sound system, will soon also be available for application in other furniture items for the living room, bedroom and bathroom. [MaestroKitchen]

http://www.extravaganzi.com/harmankardon-maestrokitchen-100-bring-music-in-your-kitchen/

Harman-Kardon-MaestroKitchen-100-9.jpg

http://www.extravaganzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Harman-Kardon-MaestroKitchen-100-4.jpg

31scIa1WTxL._AC_.jpg

It does look like the product did make it to the market since there are artifacts of it being sold at various online dealers, but I'm guessing it didn't sell well since there's hardly any information about it.  Those speaker cabinets, if you will, are quite odd.  I wonder if bass would rattle the plates in the cabinet.  xD

5 hours ago, uzzy said:

I would not recommend putting any hifi kit, other than the speakers, in the kitchen - it is amazing how the grease and grime from cooking gets into electrical stuff .. 

A number of years ago, I bought one of those fancy Pioneer 1990s cassette decks with Auto BLE XD, FLEX, Digital NR, and such from a thrift store for just a few dollars, but the thing was absolutely filthy.  It was covered in grease.  Dog hair and such was stuck to the grease as well.  The thing did work though, but it was gross.  Even the heads, capstans, and pinch rollers had the grease and caked on stuff to the grease. :o  I did give it a good cleaning and it turned out okay, but it was nasty before that.  I don't know where this cassette deck was used before I got it, but I have to assume it was used in a kitchen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, uzzy said:

That is a very good point Uzzy. I should have mentioned that his kitchen is a large kitchen diner and he will probably locate the system in the dining area.

10 hours ago, t1no said:

PS ... When you say CD compatibility do you mean an integrated CD player or just inputs for a CD player? If it's a  integrated player you are after then a Ruark R5 might fit the bill ... I think you can get them for betwen £750 ex dem to £999). Alternative a cheap CD player linked to any of the above speakers would also work.

It does not necessarily have to be integrated a separate CD player would be okay. To be honest I don't think he would use use the CD much, I think he should just rip his CDs ad play them from his phone.

46 minutes ago, AntA said:

That is a very good point Uzzy. I should have mentioned that his kitchen is a large kitchen diner and he will probably locate the system in the dining area.

It does not necessarily have to be integrated a separate CD player would be okay. To be honest I don't think he would use use the CD much, I think he should just rip his CDs ad play them from his phone.

Good idea. Can’t see the point of having anything other than a single speaker unit for that environment. Get rid of the clutter. 

A bit left field, but my money is on this. Super vfm and with rock solid Bluetooth aptX.

Direkt_800BT_Standard-of-sw_381x@2x.progressive.jpg.865e781f45d8e508dacaeeda209b21dd.jpg

Heco Direkt 800BT - under £500

Sounds far better than it has any right to :)

• Like 1

OK a little bit left field and not exactly what you call HiFi but how about a second-hand Brennan JB7, we have one in our kitchen / diner powering a pair of Q-Acoustic 3020i speakers and a CCA plugged in to the aux-in port for streaming Spotify Connect and various radio stations etc. Comes with a built in CD player and ours has a 500gb hard drive so he can RIP his CD’s directly to the hard drive, only MP3 quality. Can be picked up second hand from a well known online auction site for about £3-400 ish maybe a bit more for one with Brennan speakers. Provides background music for most of the day and sounds better than it should for the money.

Edited by Fantasque

How about a Musaic MP5 ...eBay £80 new.

They used to be £279 at launch and they were available recently for £40 brand new.

Excellent speaker with aptX Bluetooth and Aux in. Need to check Spotify Connect support but it says it is: https://www.whathifi.com/news/musaic-high-res-wireless-multi-room-system-gets-spotify-connect and I can confirm later when I try mine.

Bit tricky to set up as app has disappeared from Google Play Store / Apple Apps Store but there are ways round that.

Review: https://moviesgamesandtech.com/2017/03/01/review-musaic-mp5-streaming-audio-player/

I like the fact that it has touch sensitive preset buttons ... for internet Radio ... just press and go.

Edited by t1no

Does it need to be anything so err... grand (sorry couldn’t resist) for the kitchen? Personally I’d just go for a decent wireless speaker and use Bluetooth from the phone but even if that is too basic I wouldn’t want to be spending much on something given the risk of damage is quite high. 

• Like 1

On 18/07/2020 at 14:13, t1no said:

How about a Musaic MP5 ...eBay £80 new.

...  https://www.whathifi.com/news/musaic-high-res-wireless-multi-room-system-gets-spotify-connect and I can confirm later when I try mine.

I can confirm Spotify Connect works just fine and the sound is very good. For the £40 new I paid (now £80 was £279) it's a steal and more than capable of filling a kitchen/diner with an above average sound.

After auditioning the Naim Mu So QB and Bluesound Pulse 2i he bought the Bluesound there was no contest.