plasticpenguin

Recommend a Dac for the tight-fisted

Recommended Posts

Looking possibly of adding a Dac to the Exposure for flexibility. I once owned Cambridge and didn't like it. Too bright. I've also demoed Arcam IrDac which was good but didn't blow me away. Also demoed a Rega Dac but I can't get on with Rega sources.

I know Exposure produce a Dac but don't know anyone who owns one.

Budget? As a self-confessed skinflint, as little as possible. Below £400... and I don't mind s/hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Take you choice of Topping range, buy from Amazon and if you don’t like it return it.

Perhaps D50s and use a linear power supply.

Gary

Edited by H20gna
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Khadas Toneboard and away you go Mr Tightfisted Skinflint. (It takes one to know one).

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, plasticpenguin said:

Looking possibly of adding a Dac to the Exposure for flexibility. I once owned Cambridge and didn't like it. Too bright. I've also demoed Arcam IrDac which was good but didn't blow me away. Also demoed a Rega Dac but I can't get on with Rega sources.

I know Exposure produce a Dac but don't know anyone who owns one.

Budget? As a self-confessed skinflint, as little as possible. Below £400... and I don't mind s/hand.

IMO you'll not go wrong with these:

iFi Zen: https://www.amazon.co.uk/iFi-Bluetooth-Receiver-Desktop-Adapter/dp/B07W5RB5GN/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ifi+zen&qid=1595070057&sr=8-3

Topping D50: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topping-ES9038Q2M-768kHz-Bluetooth-Decoder-Black/dp/B07VJN11TQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=topping+d50&qid=1595070082&sr=8-3

SMSL M3: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SMSL-M3-Powered-Audio-Decoder/dp/B019Y5TR6O/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=smsl+dac&qid=1595070120&s=electronics&sr=1-8

SMSL M300: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flagship-Decoding-Ultra-high-Ultra-low-Distortion-red/dp/B07PJQDSF2/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=smsl+dac&qid=1595070148&s=electronics&sr=1-5

The Topping D10 I had was excellent also and if you can find one in the UK; I'd highly recommend that :) 

Personally I don't think you'll get much better than these for your budget and you can always send these back too; if they're not right for you :) Worth trialling the Amazon Prime offer too if you're not already a member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Blacksabbath25 said:

A topping D30 for sale on the wam for £60 

This too @plasticpenguin

Personally I'd be jumping on that at that price ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nativebon said:

Musical Fidelity V90 DAC. 

Second that. Cheap S/H and like most MF DACs underated. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Blacksabbath25 said:

A topping D30 for sale on the wam for £60 

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

IMO you'll not go wrong with these:

iFi Zen: https://www.amazon.co.uk/iFi-Bluetooth-Receiver-Desktop-Adapter/dp/B07W5RB5GN/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ifi+zen&qid=1595070057&sr=8-3

Topping D50: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topping-ES9038Q2M-768kHz-Bluetooth-Decoder-Black/dp/B07VJN11TQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=topping+d50&qid=1595070082&sr=8-3

SMSL M3: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SMSL-M3-Powered-Audio-Decoder/dp/B019Y5TR6O/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=smsl+dac&qid=1595070120&s=electronics&sr=1-8

SMSL M300: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flagship-Decoding-Ultra-high-Ultra-low-Distortion-red/dp/B07PJQDSF2/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=smsl+dac&qid=1595070148&s=electronics&sr=1-5

The Topping D10 I had was excellent also and if you can find one in the UK; I'd highly recommend that :) 

Personally I don't think you'll get much better than these for your budget and you can always send these back too; if they're not right for you :) Worth trialling the Amazon Prime offer too if you're not already a member

Thanks gents. Ideally I would be looking at using the CDP as transport and the Blu-ray player. Would the Topping have enough inputs to allow me to do this. Currently from the blu-ray it's RCAs directly into the amp. So would a digital source from the Dac to the Blu-ray improve the sound with films?

TBH, until very recently I've not heard of Topping.

Edited by plasticpenguin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

TBH, until very recently I've not heard of Topping.

Nor had I but bought a D50S from Amazon. UK stock and available on Prime so easy return if I didn’t like it but it’s superb. 

For someone dipping their toe the new E30 is half the price and still excellent. 

Both will accept a CDP as a transport and also USB from a PC or something like a Raspberry Pi as a Roon endpoint. 

If you prefer a ‘known’ brand the Project S-2 is similar to the D50S and again highly regarded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, H20gna said:

Take you choice of Topping range, buy from Amazon and if you don’t like it return it.

Perhaps D50s and use a linear power supply.

Gary

Wise words :^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nativebon said:

Musical Fidelity V90 DAC. 

+1 ...

Also if you don't mind second hand the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II ... nice natural sounding DAC. Measures well if you like the sound of your measurements. < £100 for sure.

Edited by t1no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently got a Jolida DAC second hand. They seem to pop up about one a month on second hand market. I've not played any vinyl in a long time. 

There was one on pfm with decent modifications done going for £275 yesterday. Only the mark 3 is WiFi connectable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Ruairi said:

I recently got a Jolida DAC second hand. They seem to pop up about one a month on second hand market. I've not played any vinyl in a long time. 

There was one on pfm with decent modifications done going for £275 yesterday. Only the mark 3 is WiFi connectable. 

Already sold.

I would get the Topping D30, for £60 what have you got to loose? 

They sell pretty quick, one went yesterday on PFM.

Edited by StingRay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.